know where i can purchase RL second life items

SL8995

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Actually, SL Marketplace explicitly forbids sale of real-world goods. And Linden Lab does not license their logo or trademarks for others to use for merchandising. So as far as I know, there's no legal source for that sort of stuff at all.

From the SL Marketplace Listing Guidelines:

Disallowed Actions

The following actions are disallowed. Note that these actions are disallowed by the 
, and are restated here for clarification.
  • Listings for Real-World Goods or Services.
    The SL Marketplace is only for digital content and services that are designed and intended for use with the Second Life virtual world technology. We expressly prohibit the listing or sale of any and all goods or services designed or intended to be delivered in the real world, for example, delivered in person or mailed or shipped to a physical address.

I considered for a while the idea of selling t-shirts both in-world for avatars to wear, and real-world via Cafe Press or some similar service. But there was no legal way to do that through SL Marketplace, or to advertise such external services via any of Linden Lab's advertising, website, forum or blogs.

At the very least they should have a cafepress shop set up.  It would be a zero cost (except paying their guy who is already on staff to load up the pictures and set up the store) form of advertising.  Those who buy them would be the best people to bring others into the world, the very residents who make it up.  Plus it would gauge the interest out there for what direction to go next for marketing.  If shirts are selling then expand there, if mousepads and coffee cups are flying out the door then that's where you go.

But, alas, I don't see it happening.

Oooo, I want a plushy Torey too!  And I want a bumpersticker that says "My other life is in Second Life" and a dog toy that looks like the noob manaquin.

It would also be cool if we could put snapshots we took in SL on stuff like mugs, T-shirts, & calanders.  Theme parks do that with the photos of people in their "virtual worlds", so why not do that for Second Life too?

(Edit to add)

We did ask Amanda about RL merchandise in one of the early CTUG meetings, she said there wasn`t any, but wasn`t sure why not & agreed there should be.

Even selling t-shirts with SL related slogans they would make a killing & it would be better advertising in RL than on FB or the other dumb places they choose to.

I absolutely love your idea of having the noob mannequin made into a dog toy. Make it so it's head can be filled with doggie treats, to keep him occupied for hours while we continue to be in Second Life.

I think we can have our own snapshots put onto mugs, etc (and I keep meaning to look into this. /me adds this to my to-do list.

Is Amanda still with us?  If not, for your homework this week, sound Lexie out about this again.  They could even market the merchandise via FB, make the most of every opportunity. And they could run competitions, for those brave enough to bare their RL identity in an SL tee, avatar name optional of course. I'd click the "like" button for that.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Is Amanda still with us?  If not, for your homework this week, sound Lexie out about this again.  They could even market the merchandise via FB, make the most of every opportunity. And they could run competitions, for those brave enough to bare their RL identity in an SL tee, avatar name optional of course. I'd click the "like" button for that.

Nah Amanda is gone, soon after Blondin went. Not sure who the head of Marketing is, I don`t think there is a Marketing User Group either, which is a shame really because if there was one area that LL could use some decent suggestions it would be Marketing lol :D

Hmm yes the real icon of SL is not a hand but the plywood cube.  And if you wear a shirt or drink from a coffee cup with a plywood cube on it, do you think someone might ask what's up with that?

ETA: With maybe some text like "In the beginning..."

I like the idea of the plywood cube on T-shirtss & coffee mugs. 

Maybe have the slogan above "Second Life....It all starts with a cube." The picture could show a cube transforming into a scene in SL of hills & trees, a castle, avatars, water with sail boats, etc.

People respond to visual messages more quickly than they do to text, so LL needs to *show* them what SL does, not just tell them what it does. The opening video on the webpage is a good example. They need to have short ads like that where people who aren't already on SL will see them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.