Is Second Life viewer version 3.0.0.238864 working with Mac OS 10.7 Lion?

Vanadis Falconer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Hej, Vanadis --

If you look through recent threads here in Answers or elsewhere in the forums, you'll see that some residents are having problems with the Lion OS, with both the V2 and the V3 viewer.  See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewers/Mac-OsX-Lion-v-3-crashes-on-startup-after-downloading-clothing/qaq-p/1066637 , for example.  There have been suggestions that some problems can be cured by disabling OpenGL Virtual Buffer Objects (VBO) in Preferences >> Graphics >> Hardware Settings.  I have also seen it suggested that you can solve some problems by adding DNS settings 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  in Network settings under System Preferences.  As far as I know, LL is still testing Lion's compatability with their viewer, and they have not yet listed it as a compatible OS.  On the bright side, many people are having no trouble with it at all.

Lycka till. Jag hoppas att detta är användbart till dej.

I will try that, getting a new Mac with Lion this week.

My experience from viewer update 2,5 and 2,8 is that you must: 1) clear allt SL-cache (user/library/caches/SecondLife) 2) Don´t update, the updates are junk in userend, -download a new full version instead. 3) Repair prebindings and clear "dyld"-cache(common cache for all software) with a desk control software, I prefere Onyx. Done all that my proplems neve show up.

What about 3.4.4? It worked for me until I tried uploading a texture and a sound clip of under ten seconds. Then the viewer crashed repeatedly. A couple of weeks ago, i attempted to download this or an updated version and was given the notice: Sorry but this version is not compatible with the mac. So now i am wondering, has LL given up on macs and decided PCs rule? Of course, maybe this is just a knee jerk reaction on my part. For goodness sakes, folks, it seems there are some bugs in these new viewers to work out, such as mac compatibility, as well as mac compatibility when various hardware and software are in use. Hardware such as headsets and printers. Software such as well, plugins and whatnot.

Did you remember to tell your Mac that it was OK to run programs that weren't developed by Apple? That's a Mac issue, not a SL one. You have to adjust your security setttings in Mac preferences, otherwise Lion won't allow SL (or any application other than the ones approved by Apple).You have to tick the box "authorize applications from anywhere".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.