Why role play does not need a huge sim

Mira Kamiguwa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In all my time role playing in second life it seems that people must role play in a large sim.  The larger the sim the more quality role play there is to be had.  No this is wrong..  Why you might ask?  Well at any given time only 10% of a sim is populated by people 'role playing'.  The role play I am talking about is text based role play,  the type of rp which invoves people going into detail about there movements and is most popular in sl at this time.  So if there are no actions to carried out which need a large sim, for example some sort of capture the flag style live action game ,why cover a full sim?  

If you look at many games from the early 2000s they use a selection of rooms.  Quake is a good example.  You never leave these rooms,  there is no large mass of land to run across like you find in most mmo games.  These rooms can be very detailed and the lag is greatly cut down.  If anyone has seen the skyboxes made by such builders as ~*GOD*~ Dream Scene you will see the great detail which can be achieved in a very small space.    

Some a great example is doomed ship.  You actually feel like  your inside a space station far out in space.  I made a skybox last night and am using is for my rp.  You can see some pictures below.  

Drow castle_001.jpgDrow castle_003.jpg

Jaylin Wytchwood wrote:

Depends a lot on the RP. If you want to travel, use vehicles, or even D&D-Style adventures to loot the evil wizards tower, you need some space.

Unfortunately, most people waste obscene amounts of space in SL. The average male avatar in SL is anywhere from 6'8" to 8'10" and the default SL camera placement demands a wide berth to move around in and plenty of overhead space well beyond the avatar's already supersized height.

This leads most people to upscale buildings and vehicles by roughly in the neighborhood of double scale.Your gradeschool gemonetry teacher might remind you that when you double the size of something, it takes up four times as much area.

That's a lot of space to waste when sim crossings are such a pain and people are already spread so thin across the grid.

I'd just like to find some roleplay. What I usually see are uninhabited areas or 2-4 people standing around not saying anything. If interaction is to be had, there is no ongoing plot, events, things to do, or a GM to facilitate. Maybe I'm just having bad luck - if so, can someone point me to an active RP group? (fantasy)

Grimoire Jewell wrote:

I'd just like to find some roleplay. What I usually see are uninhabited areas or 2-4 people standing around not saying anything. If interaction is to be had, there is no ongoing plot, events, things to do, or a GM to facilitate. Maybe I'm just having bad luck - if so, can someone point me to an active RP group? (fantasy)

Did you try Realm of Mystara? Always seems full of people everytime I've been there, and they do grid-wide events regularly. Not my kind of place personally, I can't seem to get into the RP there, but hey. Definitely seems like one of the most active fantasy sims in SL.

Oh yeah, I've been there. But what you describe is kind of what I'm talking about - there are roleplay sims, but it seems strangely difficult to get involved. Either there is a clique that ignores you, or there is a sort of wall you have to get through in order to validate your character, or prove your not there to grief them. Maybe its just xenophobia? I don't quite understand it.

At any rate, the places where I've been able to observe or try to get started seem excruciatingly boring. People sitting in towns saying nothing at all for 30 mins at a time, not responding, or being patronizing. It seems kind of dead.

Yeah, I know what you mean then. It's some human thing, I think. Seems no matter what you do or where you go, it takes a while before the group accepts you as a new member. May be part due to bad experiences. They learn that lots of new people come and go, and there's no point in putting a lot of energy into involving a new person if the player disappears without a trace a week later. But yeah, also plainly a human instinct I think. Be suspicious of someone new before you get to know them. Keep the pack safe from potential enemies and all that.

Some RPs seem easier than others to get into though, and I really wish I knew why. If I could learn to see the signs from the start, I wouldn't have to waste my time on a sim where I will never find a place. But so far... I have no idea.

It is logical, roleplay sims have some of the strongest communities in Second Life, groups of people who live, work and play together daily for sometimes years.

Just like in RL, when a stranger comes people are not immediatly willing to welcome them into their midst.

Of course it also depends on the theme of the sim and how well you try to fit in.

I've been told that many new visitors to our 1920s Berlin have been very postitive about how the community welcomed them into the city, how friendly everyone is and that once they discover we have a daily gathering at the bar and they visit it a few times they feel at home.

Grimoire Jewell wrote:

Many sims have a more free form roleplay I know my RP sim is busier in European hours because a lot of the main people there are European based, so events etc. will be at a more European friendly hour.

If you haven't been to Cadair Braeden (and connecting sims Nicht Ka ad Pasithea), I'd highly recommend trying them out.  Cadair Braeden and Pasithea are medieval/fantasy and Nicht Ka is arabian.  There are some restrictions to characters but overall, the community is very welcoming to new players.  If you want more information, please feel free to send me an im.  I have been to various roleplay sims since coming back to Second Life but to me, none came close to Cadair. 

I think you're right.  But some role players aren't very good at actual role play or getting into character, so  i guess a large, detailed sim is supposed to help spark the imagination or help the 'characters' get with the 'canon' or something.   I know this 'cos i've tp'ed into sims where so-called RP was going on and all i could do (without being outright derogatory) was to roll my eyes and tp out again.  *shrug*

• 2 months later...

Hi, good post. :matte-motes-big-grin:

I like a lot of room and space to explore. Nothing worse than being in an enclosed area, especially when I am trying to run from the evil ones who plan their mass attacks. However I do see your point, but I guess there has to be a variety to please all tastes. Come to Uhre sometime. We will roleplay with you anytime. Yes its large, but the beauty and the difference of each sim and character is what makes it a fantastic place to be.

Hope to see you there soon...Rosabella

You -do- need enough space to set the scene, to move about, and to tell the relevant stories.

If you wanted to RP living on the world of the movie Avatar - something that's still got a few places doing it - wouldn't it be odd to be stuck in a skybox at 3000m up on a 512m lot. Even with proper-scaled avatars, you won't feel the jungle.

Unless the RP is a fixed small location - office, inn, bar, brothel, arena, etc - there needs to be enough space to set a good stage.

Maybe not a whole sim for many things, but still a large space.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.