Sign in to follow this  
marlabarr

Confusion on my display and login names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read that I would choose a login name and then select a display name.  I was not given the option when I signed up to select a display name and did not want my login name used for that.  So I edited my profile to change the display name.  Now my avatar has my display name with my login name under it in parenthesis.  How can I just have my display name I chose shown over my avatar?

Thank you for any help

Go to Me - Preferences - General tab.  There you will see all the controls for Name tags and you can use that to control what gets displayed above your head and above other people's avatars.

--Cinn

Also I believe your login name will be viewable on your profile.  This is done to help stop people from pretending to be another resident just by changing their display name to match theirs. 

Just to clarify a bit: what you set to see in the name tag, either User Name (aka: login name) or Display Name or both, only affects what you see. Anybody else will see what they have set to see in the name tags.

So, irrespective of your own setting, other people might see your User Name, your Display Name, or both. So don't be surprised if many people still will call you by your User Name (which is your login name). Therefore the introduction and implementation of Display Names was not so great idea from Linden Lab. I guess a lot of people have set to see only the User Name (aka: login name). Our User Name is our real identity. It is unique to each avatar. Display Names are not unique.

if people could only see what name you wish them to see, unscrupulous people would use that as a false identity, and could pretend to be whoover they wished. thank goodness you cant.

Foxyannie01 wrote:

is there a way you can change your sign in name?

Only by starting from scratch with a completely new account, and deleting the old one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.