Money request after purchase of Market Place item

Joolan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I've never had this before and would appreciate suggestions. I just bought an item from Marketplace, paid and recieved the box. On opening and wearing the item an orange pop up asked me to pay the seller (requested money - no amount mentioned) with 'accept money request' or 'deny'. Has anyone else experienced this? I never saw an orange pop-up before but have been warned about different coloured pop ups. What should I do? The package, because it freaked me a bit, is currently in my trash. Grateful for any replies received.

Just to be precise, you have NOT been asked to pay, you have been asked by a script to grant permission to debit money from your account.

It is certainly VERY dubious and you should reply with DENY in that dialog box and contact the creator.  There are some products with a valid need to request debit permissions, such as affiliate vendors but worn prims, I can't think of many unless you were expecting it, which clearly you weren't.

I think I remember seeing orange pop ups when I purchased franchise affiliate boards/boxes. This message is meant to allow the vendor to get paid his commission on the items you sell. Did you buy an affiliate program box by mistake? If this was an error, you should click "deny" and contact the seller explaining you got confused regarding the nature of the item.

In any case, drag the box from your trash to the ground and open it see what it contents and DO NOT copy to your inventory, it would activate the affiliate program. You will immediately see if it is a vendor board. Look at what's inside and close the window.

If this is the case, try to discuss with the seller but I doubt he will be willing to refund you. Good luck!

Don't worry. No need to trash the item. As long as you click decline there is no way it can hurt you.

But there are legitimate reasons for an item to ask you that. Affliate vendors are one reason. Another reason is sometimes there will be a catalouge you can "shop from home" with. It is actually a vendor meant for you to use right from home, without going to marketplace or the store. It is a surprise to see the message but it is probably one of those things and nothing to worry about.

I'm guessing that the merchant uses split-proceeds vendors inworld, and forgot to remove this script from the vendor prim before adding it to their magic box. The pop-up was only asking permission to debit from your account, which if you say no to, it will be ok. It will probably ask you this each time you rezz the object, so be careful that you don't grant it these permissions.

The merchant would most likely want to know about this, so that they can remove the script. I'd ask them to send you a fresh copy, just in any case, then delete the scripted version.

• 2 weeks later...

usually an orange pop up grants the owner of an affiliate package the right to take and give money to you when someone purchases from the vendor.  This should never be in a product you bought for your personal use.  Sounds fishiy to me.  If you paid a substantial amount of money I would request my money back and just tell them it is not what you wanted..

Oh yes as another person said... it could also be in a catalogue vendor.  Hard to say without knowing what you bought but you would essentially be granting rights to take or give money to you.   One group I belong to has home shopping catalogues (I dont have one tho)     But with the affiliate  ... someone purchases hair from an affiliate vendor I have (and granted rights to)... the vendor with rights takes the entire amount back from  me for that purchase and then does a turnaround transaction and pays me the percentage they owe me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.