Sign in to follow this  
Jay Taggart

Squished LOD + Physics meshes

Hi. I'm having a strange problem. When I get ready to import my desk object, the high detail LOD looks fine, as does my medium detail model, but my 3rd LOD and my Physics models have a strange "squished" orientation. It is as though the autodesk .DAE exporter thinks the models were rotated, and squishes them to fit the proper dimensions...I dont know what to do here.

For the medium LOD, I just used the 'multires' modifier. The low LOD model and Physics model I made from scratch(this probably has something to do with it). I am using 3D Studio Max 2011 and the autodesk DAE exporter.

If anyone knows why this is happening and how to fix, it would be highly appreciated.

Pics:

High.jpgMedium.jpgLow.jpgPhys.jpg

I use Blender so this may not apply in this case, but, perhaps you need to apply scale and rotations applied to your lower LOD and physics meshes.  ie: so all items on all LODS/PHYS have scale 1:1:1 and rot 0:0:0

As a Max user, my guess would be you need to apply "reset transforms", collapse the stack, and make sure all your LOD and physics models all face the same axis (use world coordinates).  Easiest way to check is import all the LODs into one file and make sure they align.  But keep them separated for upload.

Finished model should be editable poly.  Once the shape is worked out for all LODs, then you can go back and do UV mapping for the highest LOD.  Assuming you use the same material IDs in the lower LODs, you don't *have* to UV map them (you can if you want).

If you don't expect an avatar or moving object to pass through the interior of your cabinet, you can simplify the physics shape.  You dont need full boxes, just some sides to stop avatars from walking through it.  The upper two thirds on the left where you have 4 triangles can be merged down to 2 triangles.  Cutting excess triangles will cut your physics cost and also make less work for the server.

Thanks Daniel, I will try your suggestions tomorrow. I did reset xforms, but I think you may be on to something with the axis alignments...at some point I probably rotated the high lod model when I put it in a scene with my other models to see how they looked together.

Another thing that I didnt do is put all the LODs and such into their own seperate max files before export. I figured I could get away with 'export selected'. Also the models were all in editable mesh prior to export. So lots of bad moves on my part lol.

As for the physics shape, it was a bit of an experiment. I wasnt sure that people would be able to easily select objects on the shelves or in the middle of the desk if the collision mesh was blocking them. I didnt know if the phys mesh governed your ability to select parts of the visible mesh. I dont think that is the case from what you are saying so I will simplify the collision further. I will also likely remake the medium LOD as well.

I have problems getting the multiple materials working too(I have lights on the top shelf that I would like to glow), but one thing at a time heh.

Thanks again guys!

Alright I couldnt wait until tomorrow to try :matte-motes-big-grin:

I did all the steps you suggested, and got everything ingame properly. Thanks for your help!DeskExportWorked.jpg

That looks great! 

For textures, what I use is Multi/SubObject material, with up to 8 submaterials (that is the most SL will accept per object), and apply to the whole object.  Each material ID shows up as 1 "side" in the SL edit window.  For funiture that is mostly seen at close range, you can keep more detail on the high and medium LOD, and be very aggressive on the lowest LOD.  For objects this size lowest LOD counts the most for prim cost.

What I did for plants is make a rendered image of the object in Max with camera set on X and Y axis, and put that image on a flat plane for the lowest LOD. That looks so-so, but the lowest LOD is used when very far away, and you can barely see it.