Mesh 'inside out' after texture application

Apple Pumpkins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've hit a small snag with a mesh. My mesh imported fine, and looks fine with any standard texture applied. However when I apply my own texture, it turns inside out (see the picture below).

I believe it may be a problem with applying alpha channel enabled textures to meshes, although I'm not sure. Any help, info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

meshglitch.png

Thanks for the reply. :) I've just discovered my problem... something called 'alpha sorting glitch'. The plant section uses an alpha and it glitched the entire object. I went down the route of seperating the plant, applying a non-alpha version of the texture to the sign and importing the plant as a seperate object, and then linking the two pieces in SL.

The plant is still glitched, but according to what I've read the alpha glitch it something on behalf of the browser itself, and not my mesh (whew).

43645745.png

I have tried both PNG and TGA formats on both the original single-mesh piece and the two seperated pieces. But there's no change whichever one I use.

The plant isn't deforming against the sign mesh now, it's turned on itself, although it's difficult to tell you'd have to walk around it in 3D to see the effects. The back leaves are coming forward, etc.

I was thinking of sculpting the leaves real time, but currently with the alpha planes the mesh is a shocking 5 prims (just the plant component alone), which is a lot for a small thing, I thought.

But it seems this is the only viable option here. :) So that's what I'll do. Thanks so much for your help. :3

Hi there :)

In Photoshop, you can get rid of the alpha channel in png files by not saving like you would usually do, but instead clicking "File" -> "Save for Web and Devices". There, untick "transparency" and the alpha problem is gone. This way you can save a high quality png without the alpha glitch happening :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.