An Open Letter to Storm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...Irene.  Go away!

This weekend the NWS is predicting "Irene" to bury the Carolinas and then take I-95 to N.J. where she will devastate the shore; 'blow a huge, sloppy, wet kiss to Philadelphia where she will hop on Amtrak toward Grand Central Station; transfer to the 'Lex' uptown on it's way to Harlem; and then off to Boston.  53 million people are expected to be affected by Irene.  

An east coast earthquake this week!

An east coast hurricane this week!

Go Away Irene.  

Be safe everyone.  As the Mayor of Philadelphia said earlier this morning: "if the water is over your head, it is probably too late."   No kidding.  :matte-motes-bored:

Good luck Storm . As a DC resident (ok just outside of DC) I'm ready... Hurricane party on my sim until the power goes out..

Seems very aprapos

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane -
Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn -
world serves its own needs, regardless of your own needs.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

REM

Batton down the hatches!  I shopped already for water, batteries, etc. and I have fingers crossed that Irene will STOP moving westward further into NC (where I am).  She was inching westward yesterday.....STOP IT!!

I remember when Floyd hit in 1999.  The whole of eastern NC was one big lake when it was over.  Sad...very sad.

Everyone in Irene's path...HANG ON!!!  Stay safe.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Batton down the hatches!  I shopped already for water, batteries, etc. and I have fingers crossed that Irene will STOP moving westward further into NC (where I am).  She was inching westward yesterday.....STOP IT!!

I remember when Floyd hit in 1999.  The whole of eastern NC was one big lake when it was over.  Sad...very sad.

Everyone in Irene's path...HANG ON!!!  Stay safe.

Ugh...I am really hoping this does not turn out to be another Floyd.  I had power but my mom was without power for just over two weeks...and with all the downed trees and lines, I could not get to her.  It was anxiety producing to say the least.

Hunker down and stay safe fellow east coasters! 

JeanneAnne wrote:

Irene ought to kick up some decent surf off Fire Island... Which means the cops will close the beaches. :smileysad:

If this storm tracks up Madison Avenue as predicted everything to the east will be a lake.  There may not be a beach anymore on Fire Island when this is done.  If you think that is bad Boston is doomed; they have the RedSox.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Irene ought to kick up some decent surf off Fire Island... Which means the cops will close the beaches. :smileysad:

If this storm tracks up Madison Avenue as predicted everything to the east will be a lake.  There may not be a beach anymore on Fire Island when this is done.  If you think that is bad Boston is doomed; they have the RedSox.  

I guess anythings possible Storm. But a hurricane hasn't really whacked LI hard since the 1930s, i'm told. I remember Floyd in '99, i think it was. Power was out overnite, lots of tree limbs down... thata bout it. Floyd kicked up a good surf but when me & my friends went to ride it, the cops had the beaches closed & had even closed the bridge out to shinnecock park, at hampton Bays. Bastards!

Storm Clarence wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

I guess anythings possible Storm. But a hurricane hasn't really whacked LI hard since the 1930s, i'm told. 

This hurricane is taking the 4 train to the Bronx.  Not since "ever" has this happened.  

well then there is nothing to worry about..the bronx should end it pretty quick..but it'll be an interesting fight till they get bored with it..

Storm Clarence wrote:

...Irene.  Go away!

This weekend the NWS is predicting "Irene" to bury the Carolinas and then take I-95 to N.J. where she will devastate the shore; 'blow a huge, sloppy, wet kiss to Philadelphia where she will hop on Amtrak toward Grand Central Station; transfer to the 'Lex' uptown on it's way to Harlem; and then off to Boston.  53 million people are expected to be affected by Irene.  

What a b*tch.

I arrived in Miami the day after Andrew turned it from a town into a junkyard. Took me six hours to make the 30 minute drive to the hotel from the airport because every road on the map was blocked by something.

When Fran hit NC, our neighborhood was isolated from everyone around due to flooding that closed off the roads and took out the two bridges. A neighbor drove a Reefer Truck (refrigerated trailer) for a local food store chain and during the week we spent without power, he kept it running and gave everyone on our street space to store their perishables.

With Floyd we lost several giant old-growth trees .. and almost a neighbor when one of them came down on his work trailer. He and his land maintenance crew joined us in sawing up all the downed trees and clearing folks' yards.

It looks like this time Irene is going to just kiss us as she goes past .. headed up north. I pray all of you in the path find the same sort of community spirit and cooperation that we've found for our last two go-rounds. Remember to get your meds refilled too as a lot of people forget and run out of much needed medications.

Yes, please be safe everyone!

I heard this on the news today & now I worry for my SL friends who live down in America (I'm up in Canada). I don't know which all of you from the forum here live in the affected regions (cause people don't share RL location so much) but I know its supposed to be affecting millions & millions of Americans soon..... I wish you all safety in the face of this "historic" storm as Obama calls it.

yes Phillip, thanks for clarifying that.... a very good distinction to point out!.... still worrisome to me as every word the president says is carefully chosen. it would be based on all the knowledge they have on hand about the storm.

historic is a very strong word, perhaps one of the strongest he could use to indicate how bad this could be... hopefully it turns out to be much milder outcome.

I am on the South Carolina coast.  Fortunately, we escaped the worst of it.  With the storms I've surivived, especially Hugo, Irene made very little impact.  I am now breathing again and very thankful.  We had some winds of 30-40mph and rain, but no major damage.

My prayers are wth everyone this week.  I hope some folks up north keep this tread updated.  

Irene is moving out of NC..finally.  Where I am, west of Raleigh, we had rain, wind and some big gusts but no major damage.  Irene is now moving into Virginia.  All metro and other forms of public transit in DC, Philly, NYC and Boston are closed or will be shortly...amazing and frightening.

Stay safe everyone.

It sucks, it's gonna suck even more, but it could be worse.  I think 5 people have been killed so far.  We can only hope and pray that's it.  But we just have to hang in there.  We will pick up the pieces and make it better afterward.

I still remember the intensity of getting hit by Charlie, then Frances, and then Jeanne, one after another.  We thought we were all doomed down here.  Power out for weeks in some places, telephone poles snapped like toothpicks, it was all pretty crazy.  But it brought people together.  Everyone banned together and we fixed it. 

Irene will definitely do some damage and I pray the loss of life doesn't increase.  But we will rebuild.  We will be stronger for it. Just be careful and don't be the reason some fireman has to come rescue you, be safe.

:Edit:   Just looked at the forcast and it looks like it may be falling apart...

https://www.gplus.com/Hurricanes/Insight/The-storm-cannot-master-its-own-strength

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.