Sign in to follow this  
Cerebrix Absolute

Land Owners: This is why I haven't rented from you.

For about 2 weeks now, I've spent at least 8 hours a week looking for the right space to call home for a long term situation.  I dunno what happened in the last 6 months, but the quality of management of very basic things has completely gone downhill.

Want my money?  its simple.

a) stay on top of your advertising.  im sick of teleporting into unsuspecting peoples homes because you were too lazy to take your ad down.

b) live up to your commitments.  ive had no less than 4 people tell me they'd get back to me about a plot after a price negotiation only to not get back in touch with me, even to let me know the place sold.

just...

do buisness like youre here to do business.  its exceedingly frustrating when youre trying to spend money, and the one barrier of entry seems to be the competence of the land owner im trying to rent from.

Weird. I have lots of good experiences with my current Simowner.

If yer into New England / Canadian / or Tropical, and like to adhere to a few regulations to fit the landscape, try "Sailors Cove"

Cerebrix Absolute wrote:

"a) stay on top of your advertising.  im sick of teleporting into unsuspecting peoples homes because you were too lazy to take your ad down."

Where and what advertisements have you been searching?

"b) live up to your commitments.  ive had no less than 4 people tell me they'd get back to me about a plot after a price negotiation only to not get back in touch with me, even to let me know the place sold."

Many Land Owners are making very little profit and due to competition have a set price without negotiation so the mere fact you wanted to negotiate on a parcel that they may only be making pennies in profit on can sometimes be a bit insulting.

"do business like you're here to do business.  Its exceedingly frustrating when you're trying to spend money, and the one barrier of entry seems to be the competence of the land owner im trying to rent from."

If you feel this is a void in Land Ownership Managers or that SL needs more Owners as competent as you then by all means do as you say and spend the money on your own full region that way you don't have to rely on the incompetence of others as you so eloquently put it.

Cerebrix Absolute wrote:

a) stay on top of your advertising.  im sick of teleporting into unsuspecting peoples homes because you were too lazy to take your ad down.

Hi Cerebrix, I just went through the process of finding the right place too...it can be time consuming & frustrating :(

As you know, the buying of land process is completely automated...the seller/landlord doesn't have to be online for the purchase to take place.  Someone could have purchased it after they last logged off and before logging in again.  In this situation, they wouldn't have the opportunity to change an ad.

Good luck to you in your search :)

Let me give some advice, from someone who is happily renting and who thought she'd never be happy renting big land. What has worked (and also what has failed, but it has NOT failed for residential real estate. It failed retchedly for commercial stuff like mall stalls.) is to take stock of where you usually go.  There are usually parcels for rent near the clubs and stores you frequent. They don't have to be that near, but the area should be familiar to you and you should feel comfortable there.

Since I fequent Brazilian clubs (the kind that spring up in malls like mushrooms after a rain), I started renting in Utopia Portugal XVIII. It took me  a while to get used to being a tenant who pays monthly instead of yearly. I also have a 512 on mainland which costs me nothing. My landlord and I get along well and I have moved three times as he has lost sims and rearranged property. The land I needed was mixed use since I build and you know what amateur builders' stuff looks like.

Second, if you are a premium member, consider buying mainland. Your landlord is Linden Labs so you know they are stable and half way honest. Mainland comes without covenant so for someone who wants  to build from scratch it's ideal. I have neighbor issues no matter where I rent. The biggest problem is encroachment. Landing in all ready occupied property gives you an idea of who you'll be living next to for the next few months.This is true on islands as well as mainland.

Due to my two unhappy experiences renting retail stalls, I would be very leery of renting land again should my landlord go out of business. I would probably take the mainland route. I feel safer wtih Linden Labs. By the way, there are landlords that will rent you a piece of mainland without you going premium. Sometimes this is a good solution.

First, thanks to Cerebrix for a great post. Believe me, smart landlords are definitely thinking about the points you've raised. Let me put in my two cents on them.

As for the stale sales, its really tough to keep ads extremely current. On my estate, I have a bot that runs around every day making notecards, as well as an automated web page that is current to within about four hours. But land can be purchased at any moment, and good land goes fast. So when you land in someone's swimming pool (oops!) remember that it may have only come out of the rez box minutes earlier.

LL doesn't help the situation because the search engine seems to be pretty slow updating, and the yellow 'for sale' spots on the map often take over 24 hours to show up, by which time they're often sold.

To your second point, I agree that serious sellers ought to get back to you if the ball was left in their court. Many times I want to send an IM asking something like "Hi, were you still thinking of that land we looked at last night?" But I stop myself because it seems too pushy or spammy. I try not to sell, but rather give the potential tenant the info they need and let them decide. Maybe the folks you dealt with were waiting on you to make the call.

In any case, good luck with your continued search. There are plenty of good land providers out there, I'm sure you'll find one.

I agree that it has really gone downhill. I've always had whole sims directly from LL but now that I am renting a sim, it's not been easy to get support.

My thought is that most are operating on a shoestring and don't have the resources that the likes of Anche and others had in the past.

Perhaps its time to talk about establishing a Second Life Better Business Bureau again.

Thanks for the feedback, Cerebrix!

I'm currently in the process of setting up a land rental, haven't even begun to advertise, so knowing what NOT to do is just as important as knowing what should be done.

I don't know if it's ok to give a ton of details in this thread or not...some might get upset and think I'm trying to turn the thread into a free ad lol...but maybe if I tell you a tiny bit that would be ok.  It's a 4096 that I did a combination of subdividing, terraforming and decorating, and putting in the same group as some other land on the same sim, so that I've got four 512 parcels that I can offer double prims and a free house despite being on the Mainland.  It's on Gaeta, the newest continent, at the eastern edge/end of the world, so there's a clear view of a rocky cliff I terrraformed and added some sea spray, and then the ocean.  I'm marketing it not against other landlords, because everybody's got special places with their own nuances, but rather against Linden Homes:  For roughly the same price as a premium account (which gives one a Linden Home), folks can live in a place with a better view and double the prims, yet still be on the Mainland near various attractions.

I hope I haven't overstepped any bounds by giving out too much information in a thread that's not about various rentals, but also figured that the direct approach is what you've been looking for, and that based on some of the other responses thsi thread IS about what life is like asa landlord.  I haven't quite "gotten a round TUIT" for the notegiver, or details of a "covenant"/rental agreement, but I also figure a lot of that is common sense (do I REALLY need to say "No giant statues of Bart Simpson mooning your neighbors" ?), or configured a rental box -- there's a reason they call this SECOND Life, ya dig? :womanwink:

I'd have to agree with the fellow who said he doesn't like to negotiate the price.  I've figured out what I can afford, what I think the land is worth, and what would be competative against Linden Homes.  At 555 per week, I'm actually going to be taking a loss for the increased tier this has caused;  That said, if it catches on and I've got it all rented and a list of folk who wish there was vacancy, I'll be attempting to replicate the same structure with other great land that I find -- which takes even more time than hunting around for good rentals (and never mind the time to terraform), so trust me, I know what you mean about the frustrations of hunting around for weeks on end...

***Iditted fer teh spilling-impaired...that would be me lol***

Rabid Cheetah wrote:

.  I haven't quite "gotten a round TUIT" for the notegiver, or details of a "covenant"/rental agreement, but I also figure a lot of that is common sense (
do I REALLY need to say "No giant statues of Bart Simpson mooning your neighbors" ?

In my years of experience as a landlady...I'd have to say YES...state what is allowed ie: Please keep any structures etc within the theme of the area - trust me on this :smileytongue:

Landlord speaking here. ;)

It can happen that an ad is still there right after someone has bought the land but if you automate the systemw ell that does not have to be long.

My system automatically takes down any ads if a parcel is bought. I do have 5 hours between buying and taking down to prevent me having to put up an ad again because someone bought the land but did not pay the tier.

Usually I catch them in that time(unless I am sleeping).

My marketplac magic box usually gets returned by the person that bought the land. The SL marketplace automatically turns the ad off if the magic box doesn't call in.

A bit weird to not get back to you. It can happen but it's just bad business if you don't. :)

So, if you are still looking for land, take a look here: http://landstore.virtuateq.com

Join a landlord that talks to his customers. ;)

Enjoy.

I myself at one point have thought about buying a sim where I can lease out parcels, and I still might do that, but I've also ready that people are making very little profit if any off the business.  What I've always wanted to do is setup an apartment business.  It is something I am working on.  Granted I may not be that successful at it since usually with an apartment building, there isn't much privacy.  As for the land, I have rented from people who seemed to really care about the land business as well as those who don't seem to care much about tenants.  I'm also picky about stuff too when it comes to land rental.

An apartment complex would be really cool...I just don't think it would work, as folks want the entire parcel to be theirs, plus there are the privacy issues.  I suppose it could work froma role playing standpoint, but even then I'm not so sure there would be a customer base for it, other than new players.  In fact, it would be GREAT for new players, as it would cluster them together, giving them social opportunities that they don't have with Linden Homes (those things are like living in a ghost town).  It would be fun to try, if you've got the capital to throw into an estate or even on the Mainland...but something just for fun, as it might not make a lot of money.

lol thanks...I guess it's a bit like real life in that regards.  I can hear them now:  "But it's NOT a giant statue of Bart Simpson mooning everyone!  Look at it!  LOOK AT IT!  Do you see?  It's HOMER!"  :womansurprised:

I think I might put something in stating that just like folks can stop renting from me at any time, I reserve the right to stop renting to them at any time, and then give a few examples of things that would be cause for removal.  Stuff like things that don't fit the theme would be discussed, and maybe some help offered getting it up in a skybox so it's not bigging anyone.  Stuff like griefing neighbors, though, would be time to get the White Sox Song out ("Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye...")

The cure all,,pull 9.99 out of your pocket and buy a 512 that has 0 cost,take advantage of the free house that also comes with a basic 9.99 account.Now you have 2 homes  all for 9.99 a month :)

add a few more bucks and get 1536m (adding a 1024 to your current free 512) and you will have plenty of prims for a home and still have your free Linden home for weekend get aways :)

add a bit of skill and sell somthing and if you try really hard you will get it all for free from sales :)

I started with a 512 and a pair of boots I made ,I only payed the 9.99 the first 3 months.After that my little sales coverd my SL cost.