Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pamela Galli

Who saw Life 2.0?

Recommended Posts


AthenaNicole Giano wrote:

Here's what I got out of watching the OWN channel last night:

 

As far as Mr.
Rosedale
is concerned, he should be ashamed of himself for being a part of a film that painted
SL
as such a terrible addictive thing that
destroys
lives and kills people. Life 2.0 was sandwiched between Dr.
Phils
show for a reason and the message of both programs was very clear. Virtual worlds is and always will be bad, no matter what anyone else thinks. If I were the CEO of Linden Labs and he worked for me, Mr.
Rosedale
would have been fired first thing this morning along with any other employee that had anything to do with the making of this film.

An over reaction, IMO.

The documentary demonstrated that the creator was earning more income than some of her family members. I have not seen many of the successful creators indicate that they spent any fewer hours establishing their brand. Ultimately, the creator featured was able to pull her business back to an income producing endeavor. Sure, it probably would have painted a more positive spin if she was living in a RL mansion of the same order of that which she was selling a digital version of....but, all in all, the creator segment was not negative.

The girl/kid avatar guy-maybe would not have lost his RL love if he had sought help in RL, but ultimately he was able to mentally process some deeper issues, that we can not really know if the fiance would have been able to cope with anyway...This segment was not entirely negative...it ended on a neutral note.

The lovers...That kind of stuff has been happening for years in chat rooms, even before SL existed...it was just more of the same...different t-shirt.

It was a true story depicting 5 people, that if I recall correctly, volunteered to have their SL experience over a long period filmed and chronicled into this eventual documentary. The fact that the volunteers stories ultimately worked out the way they did is no more the fault of the film maker than it is Philip Rosedale'. I doubt that the
majority
of relationships that make the SL to RL leap actually survive. In that regard, I think the film probably was a reflection of the norm as opposed to the exceptions.

I personally was impressed that Philip did not try to turn the pigs ear into a purse. For all the terrific things in SL, there is still, addiction, heartache, Gor, whores, vore, porn, etc., and perhaps if those things had been the primary focus of this documentary, I could see your point that it was an unfair depiction.

It was the raw truth of the experience for these 5 people...just has the trailer said it would be. It did not say it was a documentary investigating the commerce, creative and artsy elements of SL. Maybe the next documentary will feature those elements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ishtara Rothschild wrote

Philip Linden is a salesperson. He knows that all publicity is good publicity.

Hi Ishtara,

I get your point and agree with you. If I may paraphrase,

"Not all publicty is good publicty, but even bad publicity can be good for business"

Life 2.0 was nothing but bad publicity for SL. This film was produced and presented on OWN along with Dr. Phils show in such a way as to cause moral outrage. Any salesperson that would stoop so low as to help other people disgrace his own business for some cheap publicity should  ashamed of himself.

Maybe this film will be good for business. Who know's, maybe Dr Phil & Oprah will open offices in SL so they can bring help to those that will not get off line long enough to get the treatments they need for what ever problems they may have with video game addiction and all their other personal problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree.

Bad PR is the last thing SL needs right now.

Of course this will bring many new curious people to SL and plenty will stay but it takes me a lot of effort to explain to my friends that SL is more then just shopping, chatting, cheating, pervyness and kiddyporn.

And people who come to SL because they are interested in a good way and not because of some sensationalism and wanting to see how bad it is or how sad we all are, are in my humble opinion not as valuable to SL as those who come here because they realise all the potential and possibilities it has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Kenbro Utu wrote:

You need to go back and look at the year the film covers.  Sure I watched it.  Speaking to your original point, I saw nothing anyone should be fired for.  You can relax now. 

 

Wow. Now you are worried about who was in change and when? Bless your heart. I wish I could help you out there but I did not take notes and I have no need go back to look it up. My original point? Seems you missed that too and it was so simple. Rosedale should be ashamed of himself. Please don't worry about why I think that. You have much too much on your mind with all these names, titles, and dates. Should someone at LL be fired? Once again, that was simply a hypothetical situation that showed my personal opinion. With all the work you do keeping everyone straight on Linden Labs personnel history/statistics you really don't need to worry about my opinion too and how I feel about anything. But thank you anyway darlin. You are such a gem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


AthenaNicole Giano wrote:


Ishtara Rothschild wrote

Philip Linden is a salesperson. He knows that all publicity is good publicity.

Hi Ishtara,

I get your point and agree with you. If I may paraphrase,

"Not all publicty is good publicty, but even bad publicity can be good for business"

Life 2.0 was nothing but bad publicity for SL. This film was produced and presented on OWN along with Dr. Phils show in such a way as to cause moral outrage. Any salesperson that would stoop so low as to help other people disgrace his own business for some cheap publicity should  ashamed of himself.

Maybe this film will be good for business. Who know's, maybe Dr Phil & Oprah will open offices in SL so they can bring help to those that will not get off line long enough to get the treatments they need for what ever problems they may have with video game addiction and all their other personal problems.

It entirely depends on what you're selling :) For some products, there is no such thing as good publicity. The public won't have it. These products have public moral outrage built into their design. Think of pornography, for example. Or kinky sex toys.

Some people are genuinely outraged, others merely fake outrage before they go home and shove an inflatable ***** up their ***. Even if the latter group is the majority, it doesn't matter. You can't market these things like iPods or pink plush ponies. Negative publicity is all you'll ever get.

But it doesn't matter one bit, because that's exactly what attracts the curious masses. Myself included :) I'm here because of the bad publicity. I'm here for the inflatable *****. If SL had only iPods and ponies to offer, I would never have given it a try.

 

 

ETA for clarification: I'm not saying that SL is all about sex. I know that it's not. But the general public views all other purposes and features of virtual worlds in the same negative light. Reality escape, role play (even the D&D kind, not only the kinky variant; D&D got a lot of flak back in the day), experiments with gender roles and -perceptions, virtual relationships, people who let out their inner child, or the simple fact that adult people sit around and play with little 3D dolls.

Even the term "virtual" carries negative connotations. It stands for the surreal, for make-believe and pretense, for smoke and mirrors, for illusions and delusions, for the Matrix and the uncanny valley. This might change at some point when VR applications become more widespread and more useful for the general public, but right now virtual worlds are just a hobby. People frown upon this hobby simply because it doesn't take place in reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Persephone Emerald wrote in part:

Funny how when a thin person says they spend 14+ hour days working on an online business, they're thought of as hard-working (i.e.. Stroker Serpentine in an earlier TV show), but when an overweight person does the same thing, they're thought of as a lazy slob. 

Stroker is thin? :matte-motes-bored: Just kidding. I see what you mean, but it's kind of understandable. If a person is in "good" shape (note the implicit value judgement) despite having a desk job, s/he must be doing something right. Even if that thing is having "good" genes (another value judgement) or an overactive thyroid gland, or in my case an IBD that forces me to fast every once in a while.

Conversely, people who are overweight must be doing something wrong. Such as having "bad" genes or gland conditions that won't let them lose weight no matter how little they eat and how much they work out. I know that it's not fair, but that's how humans are programmed to perceive one another.

People with acne look unclean because skin conditions signal bad hygiene and infectious diseases. Transgender people are repulsive because they give a false impression of their reproductive potential. Aspies are weird and creepy because their non-standard body language signals mental problems as well as unpredictable and dangerous behavior. (PS: No, I don't have acne).

Life is unfair, mother nature is a female dog, and humans can't stop being human. People are judgemental because it ensures their own health, continued survival, and reproductive success. Nobody cares about inner values if they don't go along with outer values. If that wasn't the case, humanity would long be extinct and none of us would be here, so I guess that's a "good" thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


AthenaNicole Giano wrote:


Kenbro Utu wrote:

You need to go back and look at the year the film covers.  Sure I watched it.  Speaking to your original point, I saw nothing anyone should be fired for.  You can relax now. 

 

With all the work you do keeping everyone straight on Linden Labs personnel history/statistics you really don't need to worry about my opinion too and how I feel about anything. But thank you anyway darlin. You are such a gem!

Hey, don't worry, I didn't even break a sweat.  And as for your opinion, just like the proverbial orifice, everybody has one, and most of them stink.  I certainly won't be losing any sleep over yours.  You're welcome sweety.  You are such a gem yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, don't worry, I didn't even break a sweat.  And as for your opinion, just like the proverbial orifice, everybody has one, and most of them stink.  I certainly won't be losing any sleep over yours.  You're welcome sweety.  You are such a gem yourself!

My Dearest Sweetie Kenbro,

I am so very happy to hear that!  I am so sure that you did not sweat. As we say here in the South, "Only horses sweat. Men perspire and Ladies Glow". Now on one hand you really are such a brilliant man and clearly not a horse. But on the other hand you could be a horses arse.

( ...sniff... )

Did you just break wind?...you silly boy you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dale Hefferman said:

Netflix is showing this again for those who didn''t see it or want to watch again.  https://www.netflix.com/title/70129457

Thanks for posting this, Dale. I did not know this was on Netflix so I watched the documentary this evening. Boy, avatars sure have improved since 2010! 

It also made me very, VERY happy that I never got involved in an SL relationship!

Edited by Vanity Fair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some really good ones out there that have some really good stories in them as well..

If I remember right,this was focused on mostly negative things..But then again it's been awhile since I'd seen it..

 

One that I really liked was, Login 2 Life.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...