Who saw Life 2.0?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it tonight.  It profiled 3 people:  a creator, a guy with a fiance, and a married couple that met in RL.  Out of the three scenarios, two of them ended somewhat badly.  I won't reveal too much in case you'd decide to watch.  I found it interesting, but at times I was a bit bored because I'm so familiar with SL.  Parts when they were explaining the development, economy, and a lawsuit filed due to work being copied-I already knew.

I don't see any reason why you should not want to watch it.  Parts were sensational, but overall fairly innocuous.  It's just people, of all types, functioning in a different medium.  I would be willing to bet it will increase enrollment even if some people find it disturbing.  If I wasn't already here, I'd definitely take a peek.

Agree with Hartlett, it's just different people living their second lives, and it does make it interesting, if nothing else. I found it fascinating to see a creators perspective on it and someone who plays a child avatar, it changed my view on these types of persons. It was also interesting to hear Second Life's creator's views and opinions of Second Life.

Very worth watching, though not revolutionary.

As an afterthought, the part about second life suicide might be kinda hard hitting to some. Also it kinda showed what others that were not in SL thought of their partner's involvement in it.

I have not seen it, but read about it. I figure you can easily see it is only a few peoples experiences.

SL is sort of like a movie, some hate it and some even hate all movies! I just hope people realise you can make of it what you want and block, mute and otherwise avoid those that are not what you want in your world...well, at least most of it. Socilizing can be simply with RL freinds, no need to make 'in world' freinds! make aplace, invite them and read the forums here or the SL wiki and avoid all the people you don't wish to know or simply don't wish to risk being exposed to lol.

I watched it last night and I dvr'd it in case I fell asleep :D It did hold my interest enough to see it through until the end. 

I'm not sure that it will cause a surge of new sign ups.  When they showed the creator, AF, living in her parents basement and spending 15 to 18 hours a day in front of a computer, chain smoking and morbidly obese, I suspect that it solidified the belief that a goodly number of people outside of SL have...that SL residents are basement dwellers who rarely see the light of day. 

I always enjoy hearing what Philip has to say about SL. Regarding his statements that this is the new frontier where we as humans will get in touch with our, sometimes dark and evil side, without inflicting RL  harm in the physical world to others...well, the look on his face after he made the statement appeared to me that he had not totally bought into that notion.  Marriages were destroyed, engagements broken, children neglected. Though these do not equate to murder, or physical abuse, RL harm did result from SL.   It is also RL physical harm when individuals reduce their lives to a 15-18 hours a day sitting sedentary, eating and chain smoking at a computer in a basement with little to no sociol interaction or glimpse of that vitamin D producing sun.  When the creators met in Vegas, it did not appear that this was an exception, but more the norm...or at least, it sent that message, IMO. 

The kid avatar guy, interesting.  I can't help but think how unfortunate for him that he could have resolved, without losing the love of his life (his words), his issues if they had been addressed by RL methods.  I felt very bad for him.

The lovers...That scenario seemed a bit too predicatable to me.  The SL environment of no responsibility, always hawt avatar, sunny days, always something to do... produces that first love in highschool sensation when your parents were still paying the bills and you were free to be consumed by your raw emotions....sometimes, but rarely, can survive the RL--OMG you don't keep the house as neat as you did in SL, and what do you mean you have a shitty credit score, you dress like a frump, and your child is angry because my involvement with you made her daddy leave and refuses to embrace me! ?? OMG! Did you just pick your nose???   How did perfect become so FLAWED???   

I thought the best take away from the whole thing was the gravity of the friendship that the creators, most notably, had developed as a result of their time in SL.   Beyond that, there was little positive spin in this film. 

Thanks Ima -- that's why I was torn about watching it. I thought it might be pretty painful to watch. I have a hard time with children losing their families because their parents found a new honey.

Not necessarily good publicity for SL, or even a realistic portrayal of the opportunities here, but a good warning of what can happen if you don't have strong limits in place. And it sounds like it does give ppl a good understanding that SL is what you make of it.

I didn't see it. Does it repeat? I looked for it and didn't find it in Tivo listings. I searched by the network since I didn't remember the documentary's name. It should've been called Second Life something.

I noticed most of the comments on the OWN message board or whatever, were from people who stayed in SL all of an hour, or a day at most. Or they knew someone whose life wrecked and blamed it on SL. So of course their comments will be negative. They either put nothing in it or they are going from gossip.

The only comment I found to have any insight at all came from the person who said it's a sandbox, and you get what  you make of it.

Extemporaneous wrote:

It would be great if you or "someone" would upload it to youtube so those of us that don't get that channel could watch it. Or is there already a link out there to that video?

Oprah's team are extreeemely vigilant about youtube uploads of their material. It will be gone within minutes.

Extemporaneous wrote:

It would be great if you or "someone" would upload it to youtube so those of us that don't get that channel could watch it. Or is there already a link out there to that video?

I'm not sure.  Unfortunately I cannot access youtube here at work. 

Extemporaneous wrote:

Thanks I have a couple ideas of how I can see it now. One involves bringing a bottle of wine over to a friends house.
;)

Just make sure it is not a friend who is going to get all freaked out and schedule an intervention for you in fear you might turn into a chain smoking, snack grubbing, pajama wearing basement dweller :)

Pamela Galli wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!

Can someone tell me more about Asri Falconer (with a big Spoiler alert) -- from the bits I have read, she abandoned her business because of copybot?  And then started a new business?

She did not abandon....the economy, RL and SL, along with copybotter issues, caused her to nearly have to cease.  She re-org'd her biz...and carried on...

There is a very interesting interview on youtube with the creator of Life 2.0.  I did not realize that there are only 800,000 unique registered users in SL now.  I would post the link....but can't right now.

It would be nice (and smart) to stream the documentary in SL in a parcel that you need to pay to have access to.

This way people outside of the US can see it as well and the makers don't lose any revenue.

How many people do you think would pay a few bucks to see this together with friends in SL?

Jo Yardley wrote:

It would be nice (and smart) to stream the documentary in SL in a parcel that you need to pay to have access to.

This way people outside of the US can see it as well and the makers don't lose any revenue.

How many people do you think would pay a few bucks to see this together with friends in SL?

Jo I've had a similar idea for some time now. I don't know WHY the movie studios or Netflix do not do this.

I do not think the "Dvd rental" Places in SL are legal although they thrive.

The real movie and Tv studios should do this instead. But I think they consider SL difficult and/or small potatoes.

ETA: If I could've scripted a working model to demonstrate otherwise to them I'd have done it by now.  

Generally SL is not (yet) good enough to offer a quality shared video experience.

I've tried many expensvie video players and due to connection, lag, etc, half the audience is always a bit behind.

We do have 1920s movies in our cinema, lots of fun but no competition to seeing a video.

But yes, if someone has a good low lag cinema somewhere they could make a little money showing movies.

And especially with a documentary about SL, it would seem obvious to me to screen it in SL, even have a premiere there with VIPS and so on.

I can't see the OWN channel and won't buy a dvd, so it may never reach me (legally) and it is a shame that it won't reach 80% (just a guess) of people in SL who don't get US tv.

And if you charge people say $2, I am sure you make more then your tiers.

Come to think of it, LL should propbably help the documentary makers by giving them a free cinema and stream to show it.

Because in the end, this is all free PR.

Ima Rang wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!

Can someone tell me more about Asri Falconer (with a big Spoiler alert) -- from the bits I have read, she abandoned her business because of copybot?  And then started a new business?

She did not abandon....the economy, RL and SL, along with copybotter issues, caused her to nearly have to cease.  She re-org'd her biz...and carried on...

I went into business the very end of 2007, which I have always understood meant I missed the Golden Era in which it was allegedly much easier to earn money (and charge much higher prices for many things, like houses and skins).  I did find this old thread about a security breach she experienced:  http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/140/b6/56910/2.html

Here is a 2008 blog that shows some of her creations http://asrifalcone.blogspot.com/

ETA:  and here is info about the copybot lawsuit she filed http://virtuallyblind.com/2007/10/27/content-creators-sue-rase-kenzo/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.