Maya 2012 64-bit Multiple materials .dae export fail

Cyann Ornitz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I need to do in Max 2012, and so likely to Maya 2012, is export to FBX format file, then use the Autodesk FBX standalone converter version 2011.3 to convert to Collada.  The Autodesk 2012 exporter was sending a newer version of the Collada file than SL could read.

Also on Max I need to use one Multi/Sub object material for the whole object, with up to 8 material IDs as sub-materials.  You may need to use whatever is the equivalent in Maya

Collada isn't a file format, it's a set of XML tags to put in a text file containing the model data.  You can open a ".dae" file with any text editor.  Unfortunately there are so many 3d programs and so many formats, that not every .dae output is readable by another program, and the Collada standard is evolving.  SL can see v1.4 files, but 1.4.1 or 1.5 give it problems (they define new tags it doesnt know about).

So program incompatibility is not unique to SL, its rampant in the 3D field.  There are even problems between different versions of the same program, or plugins that work for one version and not another.  The most interchangeable formats right now are .obj and .dae, followed probably by .3ds (the older 3ds Max format, which is now .max).  Hopefully in a few years things will settle down to a standard - that's the intent of the Collada project - but its an ongoing task.

The best advice I have is if you find a method that works (like how to get a file into SL), write it down so you can repeat it, and share it with other people.

hello... i have Maya 2012, i installed the FBX Converter and the FBX exporter but when i try to export no fbx file appear in maya! please i 'm so freaking out, i was using c4d but SL dont like my rigged c4d mesh seems (weight calculation botton disappear) and i want to try with Maya but..well... 

• 2 months later...

OK I've just upgraded to 2012 and thought I would check here first to see if there were any known issues with SL.  I'm now glad I did, but does anybody know if SL is now able to handle v1.4.1 upwards and that all the info here is still applicable.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mijn Seoung wrote:

hello... i have Maya 2012, i installed the FBX Converter and the FBX exporter but when i try to export no fbx file appear in maya! please i 'm so freaking out, i was using c4d but SL dont like my rigged c4d mesh seems (weight calculation botton disappear) and i want to try with Maya but..well... 

I'm not sure what you mean by "no FBX file appears in Maya".  Maya doesn't display files.  It displays models, textures, data nodes, etc.  These things are contained within files for storage purposes, of course, but they are not themselves files.  Files are for storage, not for active use.

When you export a file from any program, the reason it's called "exporting" is because you're putting it some place outside the program itself.  The FBX file you exported from Maya will be located in whatever folder you decided to save it to.  It's not going to be "in Maya".

By default, Maya's FBX exporter will look to save to a folder called FBX, inside the main project directory for your current project.  If that folder doesn't exist, then it will just dump the file into the project's root folder.  Unless you told it to do otherwise, that's where your files will be.  Take a look.

• 1 month later...

Ciao tutti, i got a little problem in maya 2012: made a multimaterial model, tried upload to SL, but failed in 3 ways:

1. used the normal dae-fbx, there is no multimaterial.

2. exported to FBX, converted with FBX converter 2011 to dae, as result, missing faces.

3. exported as FBX, loaded into maya 2009, exported with opencollada, result: missing faces. Any solution, please? ty^^

Since you've got Maya 2009 on hand, I'd suggest either of two options:

1.  Work from start to finish in 2009.  That's the version I use, and I've had no problems getting anything into SL.

-OR-

2.  Create your model in 2012, and save the scene as a .ma file.  Open the .ma in a text editor, find all references to 2012, and change them to 2009.  Open the scene in Maya 2009, and export to .dae from there.

If neither of those option works, then I'd say there's something funky going on with your model.  If you'd care to post the .ma file somwehere, I'd be happy to take a quick look.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.