Viewer 3.0 - Total Loss of In-world Grid

Van Auster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have encountered a major setback with Viewer 3.0 and would like to know if anyone has faced the following issue described below.  I've spoken with Live Chat and was unable to resolve the problem but was asked to submit a ticket, which I did, but - sigh - I could not adequately describe the issue in less than 1000 words.  I've also scoured the JIRA to no avail and would report the issue there, but I'm not even sure what's going on to present the best information when submitting to the bug tracker.

Downloaded 3.0.  Removed all previous SL files including manual removal of caches, etc.  Restart system.  Install 3.0.

After log-in, encounter the following behavior:

All Groups are missing.  Friends list is present but only profile photos.  Names show as constantly "loading."  Cannot open profiles, that of my Avatar or any other Resident.  Cannot initiate IMs.  Able to receive and respond to IMs but Sender appears as "Name...loading."  Residents can tp to my avatar, which suggests that I am showing as "online."  Items offered are automatically accepted without any Notification given that an Item was shared or received.  

Cannot teleport anywhere.  Attempting to teleport results in being logged out with no error message reported.  

Can only see the region where I am logged into.  All adjacent regions are missing - where there would be two or more sims touching there is only water.  (Bringing up World Map displays grid as expected but unable to tp to any locations via World Map.)  Avatars appear as green dots on Mini Map but do not register on "Nearby" in the "People" tab.  Examing Parcel/Region Details returns blank information.  Examing "Place Profile" shows as "loading..."

Inworld Search does work.  Linden balance displays accurately.  Inventory fully accounted for.  

Issues persist both in Basic and Advanced modes.  Issues persist as described using Kirtsten's Viewer.  Firestorm viewer does work.  Ran the following test:  wiped all SL files from system and performed clean install of Firestorm; launched Firestorm and SL behaved as expected.  Wiped all files and performed clean install again of Viewer 3.0 and issues were again present.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

LOL.  I found your JIRA entry shortly after posting.  But I'm still at a loss, mostly because the techincal nature of the issue is over my head, and I'm also not connected to a router.  The repercussions are very similar because my very real concern is that this will very soon begin to affect my inworld business, not to mention my inworld social life, which isn't all that sparkly, but still......  Is LL actively looking into the issue and solutions........

I'm using the Beta 3.0.1 (238613) viewer which is the same build as Release and not experiencing these issues. Are you sure you did re-adjust your bandwidth slider after you installed the new viewer to make sure you're not accidently bottlenecking?

Don't listen to the idiots who think you're stealing bandwidth with the slider, Put it to about max your connection speed and see if you get any results.

I actually seemed to have resolved the issue after scouring the minefield that is the JIRA bugger tracker.  Seems to be related to a DNS issue.   By adding two backup google DNS entries [8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4] I was able to launch and run 3.0 without any apparent issues, although I will continue to monitor the result.

Thanks everyone!

The problem with viewer2/3 is that is pushes the bounds of many consumer networking equipment and ISPs were they are designed for around about 100~ active open connections, meanwhile the viewer is trying to maintain roughly 200 to 300 simultaneously as it loads rezs (like after login), with many of opening and closing them in quick succession. For comparison, viewer 1.5 tends hover around 30 simultaneous active while rezing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.