3D Max Scripter to write PE score?

Vincent Nacon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would be worthwhile asking on some of the 3D Max forums. There are quite a few scripters in the blender community who might be willing to give it a go.

LL needs to provide their actual methods of calculating PE if this is to be of any use though. Im guessing the info on the Mesh wiki is out of date what with all the changes PE has gone through in the last couple of months.

Not having to log into Beta Grid all the time and update 5 files in the uploader menu for a marginal difference to PE is a major pain so I am hoping this can be accomplished.

I think the wiki information is all up-to-date but may not be sifficiently detailed. The physics cost calculation for undecomposed shapes is not quite sufficiently specified. The download cost depends on the data sizes of the LOD meshes after transformation into internal format, addition of headers and compression, all of which is difficult to estimate.If auto-lod meshes are going to be used, they are not predictable as the algorithm is non-deterministic. Thus this is not a simple task.

You're quite right about the LOD issue but... I think it's safe to say making a relatively close estimation could work by guessing the numbers for LOD in prospective realistic range.

Physic on other hand. Might be doable but most of the time PE score is based on the data than physic because it's often higher.

Speaking of 3Ds and PE...  I tested a model using the Pro Optimizer in the modifier stack to create the 4 LOD's for uploading into SL.

It seemed to work really well and was a huge time saver over re-crafting four separate models by hand.

It allowed me to set a percentage of decimation for each lower LOD from the original model.

I was wondering if you guys could comment on this and speak to the importance of LOD's two and three as they pertain to the final PE.  Seeing that the viewer switches from LOD one to LOD two so quickly, it would be nice to take the second LOD to like only 90% and then drop off faster after that.  

Would this be a poor optimization strategy as far as PE and server load are concerned?  It is important to me that as I learn to use mesh for SL that I do it in a responsible way for the good of the customer and SL in general.

Thanks for your comments. 

Here are the relative download weights for a model with four-fold reductions [100,24,6,1.5] in red and one with the first reduction at 90% [100,90,6,1.5] in blue. As you see, it depends on the size. The left is the whole range of sizes and the right is detail for smaller sizes. Radius is sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z)/2 [d/1.155 for a cube with side d].

pe_cfig1.png

Ideally, it's best to actually do some work on LODs by hands than simply letting SL optimizes it or even Pro Optimizer modifier itself alone.

Some times any optimizer tools leave out best number, but mostly end up looking stranger than could have done by hands. And that's where the idea came in for what I was asking.  To save me a bit more time before uploading.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.