Did it Mesh You Up?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is indeed possible. Mesh objects can contain so-called morph targets, which are basically deformed versions of the same mesh. The great thing about morphs is that the user can not only choose between the original and the deformed version, one can also choose any number of steps that lie in between with the help of sliders.

To give you an idea what this looks like, this is what you can do with mesh clothes in Poser, a 3D software:

morphs1.jpg

morphs2.jpg

morphs3.jpg

The avatar mesh in SL has morph targets too, which can be controlled with the sliders in the appearance menu. Facial animations are also done with morph targets. If LL had spent more development time on mesh, a very similar menu could have been implemented for mesh objects and you'd be able to copy your shape values to your clothes.

Alas, you can't add morph targets to existing content. Mesh clothes would have to be created and uploaded with morphs in mind. So even if LL implements this at some point in the future, it won't work for the current generation of mesh clothing.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gypsy Quixote wrote:

Informative thread, thanks to everyone for the input. I still cling to Phoenix for the maximum enjoyment factor and I don't think Keli wearing an innertube will change that (I kind of like the look, could you turn around so I can see the back?). But I keep trying V2 and Firestorm, I'm guessing that by the time mesh becomes widespread I'll be ready for the switch. I'm curious about other changes mesh will bring about aside from clothing, anybody got building or object pics to share?

And as I said in another mesh thread, if this brings about the demise of the pleated miniskirt I'm all for it.

Ps, don't all women have different buttsize shapes for different skirts?

Um, no. We all don't, but thanks for looking :)

Charolotte Caxton smoothes out her pleats.

My ski-jumping alt got the striped dress and is using V3 very successfully. I do think that she will not be wearing the torus V1 version. It's a very cute dress. Mesh will inspire lots of new stuff however it can't flex and flow so there is room for all types of fashion. The alpha mask stuff will vex most shoe designers as the Mesh dress alpha replaced the Miel boots alpha so her feet were sticking out of the bottoms.. that just will not do;-) Creators will need to offer alternate alphas, I fear.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Argus Cowlings wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

It's ok
:)
that's why we have these forums, to help each other out
:)

Exactly! It's always a great place to find answers and not be afraid to ask questions too
:D

I know, right? If I had to pay for questions, I would be totally broke lol

mhm or it would be like talking to yourself;-) I found a new Daryl Hall tune on Soundcloud, grabbed it via fraps and made a video with it. Note: this song is from his new cd due out in September. Boy, I would love to bring DH into SL.

I don't understand this I thought mesh was suppose to improve everything. Last night I got mesh hair, I thought it was going to be awesome, it was awful. :(

Instead of it being a whole lot of individual prims moving and flexing like the flexy hair we have today it was one solid mass that didn't move at all. It reminded me of Max Headroom! :o

MaxHeadroom_promopic.jpg

I was hoping it was going to move and flex like hair you see in the latest animated films. I am so, so, so disappointed. :(

I saw you use this movie in another thread and I thought it made a good example. 

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Mesh will inspire lots of new stuff however
it can't flex and flow
so there is room for all types of fashion.

This truly breaks my heart.  I have been waiting with great expectation for new avatar meshes with flexi penii.  I get so tired of being a Ken Doll dependent upon  silly attachments in order to feel like a man.

Emasculation 6.jpg

You just have to tweak your current shape, not your face or anything. I have a modifiable shape that I have a bunch of different body tweaks for, smaller boobs for jackets, thinner ankles for certain shoes, and my all time favorite skirt shape so that I can wear a system skirt and have a decent butt! LOL

Lib

So I gave Mesh a try today... Just the same Jane jeans you guys have already seen.

First, without the alpha layer. These jeans are pretty close to my shape, but not quite exact. But not bad!

SecondLife_195_cropped.png

Then I put the alpha layer on. Much better.

SecondLife_197_cropped.png

SecondLife_198_cropped.png

It still looks like I could use a belt, just a little, but pretty good I think! But how is it sitting down?

SecondLife_199_cropped.png

SecondLife_200_cropped.png

SecondLife_201_cropped.png

Not bad :)

I can definitely see myself buying mesh bottoms, as long as there is a demo. I guess my shape isn't all that unique :P

Tops will be impossible, at least for a while... Shoes and cars will be great though!

Now if only the Firestorm team would get Mesh support out soon :)

Cool Keli, it looks like with everything else there is a trade off. In this case it will be shape or realism, av's choice.

Makes me think of off the rack shopping in RL, but if your after a certain look or if a shape is included to match the outfit that's it.

Could promote a lot of tailor made items:)

Libera Romano wrote:

You just have to tweak your current shape
, not your face or anything. I have a modifiable shape that I have a bunch of different body tweaks for, smaller boobs for jackets, thinner ankles for certain shoes, and my all time favorite skirt shape so that I can wear a system skirt and have a decent butt! LOL

Lib

See, THIS "You just have to tweak your current shape," is a huge issue.

Clothes should MOD to fit me.  I shouldn't have to MOD me in order to fit into clothes.

I've been through this recently with some shoes I was gifted.  They were "no mod" with resize scripts.  On the first item, a pair of boots, I read the designers instructions.  First thing she writes is "Reset your feet to Zero."  Bull Dinkies.  I shouldn't have to change my shape.  But the boots looked awesome so I gave them a try.  No matter what I did I could not get them to fit.  Either my calves stuck though the boot OR when I made them large enough so my calves didn't stick through, they looked like hip waders.  Her response: "Make your legs thinner."  Total Bull Dinkies.  While my Ava may not have perfect proportions, last thing I want to do is look like a stick figure.

Incredibly, I can't size the second pair, shoes, from a different vendor, small enough to fit my feet.  I'm still waiting for a reply from that vendor.

Having failed to enable morph targets in mesh is a huge mistake by Linden Lab.

I think the transparent part of the alpha layer starts too low, which causes your hips to poke through the mesh. I've marked the beginning of the transparent area with a red line in this image:

alpha3.jpg

This coincides with the border between the upper and the lower body texture. I think that the creator simply slapped an alpha texture onto the lower body and didn't bother to create one for the upper part. You can easily do that yourself by masking the green area:

alpha2.jpg

The image below is the finished alpha texture. You can download it, upload it to SL, and either apply it to the upper body part of the existing alpha layer if it happens to be modifiable, or create your own alpha layer and wear it in addition to the one provided by the creator.

hips alpha.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.