How does one change skin texture?

Rage Riptide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have looked for half hour in V2 twice now. I found it first time... somehow. Can't find it again in the appearance areas. It is not obvious. I found the tatto layers easily, finding the skin texture is not.

I'm going bonkers trying to find this.

Thanks anyway Rolig but I want to use an alpha texture to remove the skin and I want to know where in the appeaarence editor I can change it. I have searched plenty too. No can find answer.

-------------------------

Thanks but Lets try again.

I create a new skin in unventory and wear it. I go to the editor and find "Edit Skin". Here I see tattoo layers but I still cannot fine the panel where I cahnge skin textures to whatever. I jsut tried again to find it.

3 answers to this question

You buy a new skin.  It's a thriving business in SL.  Skin artists are some of the most talented texture artists in SL, so their products can be very expensive.  (I don't buy skin often, but when I do, I expect to pay L$1,200 to L$2,000 for a mid-range skin.)  There are also some very good free (or almost free) skins too, though.  You'll find them at most of the freebie shops in world and there are plenty on Marketplace. It's important to remember, however, that skin is just a texture. The same skin can look very different on people who have different shapes.  When you are trying on new skins, therefore, think first about what shape you want to be, and wear that shape when you go shopping.  Try on demos -- try LOTS of demos -- before you buy.

Wearing a skin is like wearing any other texture that is applied to your body -- a blouse or system skirt, for example.  You find it in your inventory (its icon looks like a stick figure and it's usually in your Body Part folder by default) and then right click and select Wear. 

I don't use the official viewer but if I remember correctly you can find the choices of standard avatars (with skins) in the OUTFIT folder. I have deleted all of mine long ago as these were not something I would use, but I am thinking that must be what you found before. While these skins (and outfits) are certainly way beyond what new avatars used to get when coming into world, they are still WAY behind the typical good looking skin that you will see on the best dressed avatars.

While you can certainly purchase good quality skins for $1000 L and up, you can also get very nice free skins by joining groups of the different skin makers. You can check some of the fashion feeds ( http://iheartsl.com/  http://shopaholicfeed.com/    http://virtualfashionfeed.com/ are just a few) or simply look in search for classifieds of skin makers and see which ones look good on your avatar.  

No matter how well skins are designed, they are a very personal thing. They will look good on some shapes and no so good on others so trying on demos is mandatory. You can also frequently find nice skins on hunts, so keep your eye out on the blogs for info on that.   You can find a list of hunts (not all but many) here http://slhunts.wordpress.com/. Not all hunts are created equal and some are honestly not worth the effort. Some are fantastic, so check around and ask folks, join some hunter groups and you could end up with a perfect skin for free.

While I am a well-known blogger now, that was not always the case. I have never, however, purchased a skin for more than a linden :D. Guys have it harder than gals, but there are still a variety of places where you can get good looking skins for free or almost so. Then, when you find a designer you  like, you can certainly invest. Skins are traditionally one of the most expensive avatar "accessories" that there are so research is a good thing.

Good luck.

Rage Riptide wrote:

Thanks anyway Rolig but I want to use an alpha texture to remove the skin and I want to know where in the appeaarence editor I can change it. I have searched plenty too. No can find answer.

Oh!   You're not talking about replacing skin at all.   Sorry.  I misunderstood your question. You're talking about hiding a selected part of your body.  That's what the alpha body layer does.  You will find a selection of alpha masks in the Library folder in inventory.  Most of them are designed to hide your feet so that they don't stick throuigh shoes.  Designers who make specialized attachment (like armor, for example) often include alpha masks to hide other body parts that might otherwise poke through and be visible.  You cannot make an alpha mask in world.  You have to use an external graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP, just as you would if you were making any other clothing element.  Then, once you have uploaded it to your inventory in world, you can wear it like any other texture. You'll notice, that if you go into Appearance mode, one of the options is Edit Alpha.  Once you choose that option, you can apply your alpha mask there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.