Graphic Initalization Failed, Update Your Graphics Driver!

Teofila Matova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For a month, and now after reading the Technical Questions/Answers, I am still experiencing a problem with both the latest version of SL and the Beta 3.0 version.  I am running a 2009 Dell INspiron 560 CPU, with graphics card Intel (R) G45/G43 Express Chipset.  I have installed all updates, cleared cache & cookies, updated graphics card driver, updated all Windows updates, ran Malware Bytes, did a full Windows Registry Scan and Defrag. 

I consistently receive an error:  graphics initialization failed. update your graphics driver!

This machine is not heavily used, as we use it only for SL and basic Web surfing functions.  I have noticed many other folks experiencing this problem.  I look forward to hearing more on this solution.  All that I have done (thus depleting all resources and options) has been unsuccessful.

Thanks, -- Teofila Matova

4 answers to this question

You didn't say if an earlier version of the viewer worked for you. With an integrated graphics card and and older one at that, it will most likely be difficult one that will . I couldn't log in at all with my old Dell (2008) until I purchased a stand alone card.

You might be able to get into world by using the old 1.23 viewer   http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory  OR whatever one might have worked before *wink*. As the viewers progress in power and features they also need heftier machines with video cards often being the bottleneck of the system.

EDIT: If you can get into world and things just don't run WELL, it is most likely that your graphics card simply isn't supported.  Many cards aren't and that message appears. I have one of the newest Radeon cards and it is not supported. I got that error message when logging on the first time. The card, however works beautifully except for a shadow issue.  I honestly can't imagine you getting in world with the newest viewers though and that card. But who knows :D

If you want to be able to use all the features in the newer viewers you will most likely need to buy some sort of stand alone video card. Many of us faced that issue when first coming to SL.  If you do buy an add-in card, be SURE and check that your power supply will run the card. That has been an issue with many folks.

Good luck!   

Hi, Teo!  Yes, you're right.  That graphics driver error has been popping up for a lot of people recently.  Some of it does have to do with using new graphics cards that are not yet included in the list of supported cards, but some of it can also be blamed on the recent V2 upgrades.  You have done all the right things and none have worked, so I suspect that it's time to do something unorthodox, or change viewers.

The unorthodox move is to disable the error message.  You can do that by opening your Advanced menu (CTRL+Alt+D) and navigating to Debug Settings and then NoHardwareProbe.  If you set that to TRUE, your viewer won't even look to see whether you have a supported graphics card.  That's really cheating, like disabling the oil guage on your car's dashboard because you don't like it telling you that you are low on oil all the time.  If you choose that route, I'd suggest setting it back to FALSE next time you upgrade the viewer, assuming that they will have updated their database of supported cards by then.

The solution I prefer, though, is not to cheat but to abandon ship. If you really like the feel of V2, I recommend trying Firestorm, which is built on the V2 codebase and has a very similar default apperance.  It is in beta, but is already more stable and less buggy than V2.  It also has some features that V2 does not offer, like region search.  You can get it at http://www.phoenixviewer.com

Good luck.

Your "video card" is not a video card at all.  It's an onboard "IGP" (Integrated Graphics Processor).  There's quite a bit of difference and the performance of an IGP against a discrete GPU (a graphics card) when dealing with 3D graphics is enormous.  Almost any IGP use in SL is marginal under the best of circumstances.  Viewer 2 is built and designed to show a display some very graphics intensive objects and textures (such as real time shadows).  I know of no IGP that is capable of doing what Viewer 2 is designed for.  Your problem is not with your driver.  It's with your graphics chipset (IGP)....no driver can be written to make a chipset do something it's not capable of doing.  And yours is not capable of doing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video Acceleration and
Graphics

Intel says the chipset assists the CPU in decoding Full HD
H.264, VC-1, and MPEG-2 video, whicprevious generation, it is still insufficient
h it does well. We found a CPU load of 6.2% with a Core 2 Quad Q9550s (2.83 GHz)
and 8.85% on a Core 2 Quad Q8200s (2.33 GHz). The graphics unit is based on ten
unified shaders, which run at 800 MHz clock speed and access up to 512 MB of the
main memory. Note that while this is better and faster than all to even remotely
match pace with discrete graphics solutions.

http://www.tomshardwar9400,2263-2.htmle.com/reviews/g45-geforce-

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your choice is to use a TPV that doesn't put the load on your graphics that Viewer 2 does.  That is a temporary fix, in my opinion.  As SL continues to progress the TPV's will be forced to keep up and design their viewers to use all the features LL incorporates in the SL sever code (either that or risk falling off the TPV market due to lack of use by residents).  You eventually will need to upgrade to a discrete (dedicated) graphic card that is capable of running SL with all the features.......or, forever, be unhappy with your experience compared to people who have the necessary graphics in their machines.

Hello.

Yes, the last upgrades and actually Beta official working very bad. But in my case with V2, V3Beta and Firestorm I have the same experience with grafics issues.

I improve a solution based in my experience and I used for post other answers here.

Let me show you too, always could help and is apropiated for all the viewers!!!

Try this:

1) Uninstall the viewer.

2) Use a program for delete damaged archives like CCleaner or another of your preference.

3) Delete the instalation folders from your viewer. Before uninstall, take a look at Preferences/Advances and take note about the folder's paths for logs and cache. Try delete all the stuff inside the folders, but you save logs, preserve that.

4) Now, you must clean the "regedit". Start/Run/regedit. You must see a windows divided in two parts; folders and archives. In the Edit Menu select "Find" and write in the box "Second Life". the sistem shows you many Folders or archives wich you must delete one per one. Some cases, only the archive, some others, the complete folders. If you use F3 the window will be showing you the next archive/folder to must delete. When finish this procedure, change the keyword for "SecondLife" (without separation between words) and you could find more archives and folders for delete.Often you can find here, the mother of all the troubles with SL. You could find a BIG list of instalation registered. Must be sure delete ALL the olds SL archives and folders inside.

5) Restart your computer and install again the SL viewer.

TIP: deactivate the automatic upgrade and do this in manual way allways ;-) 

I can say you, actually the only problem I have with my viewers are an abrupted crash; the window dissapears and automatically send a crash report

Regards, Adolfh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.