Being a gypsy

Davina101

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did the whole wandering around without land or home for two years in SL. I hung out a lot in sandboxes and definitely did a lot more exploring than I do today. When I opened up my in-world store, I started to understand what the appeal was to having a piece of SL to call your own. You could finally make a place the way you want and not simply to enjoy what others have made. You could put down a chair and it would still be there the next day. It brings a sort of permanence, like setting foot on dry land after months at sea.

I can still see how wandering around like a gypsy is quite viable in SL. The virtual world is just so big and there is so much to see but SL is about trying new things and renting/owning land is one of those things that you should try.

Thank you Ishtara, that's very generous, (not shameless), and I agree Bree, there may come a time when having a "spot" is comfortable.  But I have a great house half a block from the beach in RL.  That's enough to take care of right now.  Especially when I might end up putting hurricane shutters up this week.  So it's sort of "free-ing" to wander around without a care or any responcibilities.  I have always been way too responcible, (and conservative), in RL.  for now, it seems fun to just be free.

And I love seeing all the stuff people make.  I am hitting the tip jars as hard as I can.  I try to leave big tips but the hardest thing is finding tip jars in really cool places.  I found this one place where they have free changing rooms but the creator went to phenominal lengths to create such a fantastic environment.  Pretty waterfalls and so many beatiful things.  They really deserve some credit for all their hard work but I can't figure out how to give them some L$.

I have done pretty well in RL so this is my chance to share a little.  I just want to make as many people happy as I can.  And I don't mind sharing a bit of my kinky side while I'm at it.  I figure people won't mind too much as long as I'm spending money.

I did without a house for my first year in SL. I usualy logged out in a remote corner of my favourite beach location and came back there the next time. For changing clothes I'ls either find a public dressing room, go underwater or fly up, or just find one of the many beserted spots in SL. After a year I started with renting a small house from a friend and after that..well...I still have my own plot. I like to redecorate and I've gone from tropical beach, to forst clearing, to park aerea to beach again. 

If you don't feel the need for any of those, just don't bother...shop, change in a deserted aerea or on one of the lm's previous posters put here and just have fun!

I also like to visit live artists in SL and making a habit of tipping them plus the venue. I hope all visitiors (if they can afford offcourse) will do the same!

I think it's all a bit overwhelming at first.  I went a week before I realized that it's the same concept as if you were "buying" the tip jar.  There is just so much to learn that it's mind-blowing initially because there is so much to see and do but instructions aren't real clear.  I'm still trying to figure out how to give people money just to show my appreciation for the incredible things they have made.

It's not like I'm rich, but I work really hard and so I appreciate all the hard work everyone here puts into their creations.  The tip jars are pretty brainless now but there is so much more that I find so amazing and I have no clue as to how to give the people who created these things some kind of monetary gift.  They certainly deserve something for all their efforts but like the one place recommended to me for changing clothes, obviously, someone spent hours of work creating that atmosphere and making it beautiful beyond belief.  But I have searched everywhere for something like a tip jar but I still have no idea how to give that person something.

It's almost like you should go to a class on how SL works before you even join.  We just jump in here and wow! But there is definitely plenty to keep anyone busy even if they aren't housekeeping.  I can see how I could spend months or years just looking around without ever considering the need to have a place somewhere in particular. 

SL has a very steep learning curve, I agree but right from the beginning I always found helpfull people around. All you have to do is just ask, either here or inworld. Some people are just dorks but most are friendly and helpfull.

If I hadn't had help in the beginning I'ld still wouldn't know how to change clothes, edit my hair or shoes, share things or dance.

In the process I learned a lot about Using PC's as well, if it wasn't for my SL friends I still wouldn't have any idea how to update my graphics driver or where to find hidden folders.

And realy after being her for over 4 years, I still learn new things!

Thank you, and you're right!  I have met a lot of very friendly people that have helped me with everything I know so far. I get messages warning me about staying away from cretain types of people but I don't understand that.  What can they do to you?  I assume you can always just leave or log out, so what's the big deal, I don't understand what there is to be afraid of.

But the people I have met are as amazing as the things they create.  It just makes me want to go out and exploer more places and meet more people.  This is almost like an adventure inside your imagination but it's everyone's imagination piled into one place.  It's absolutely amazing.  And I have to add, the Ladies here are enough to rock anyone's world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.