losing any hope of mesh

Moo Spyker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can someone here please explain to me why I just worked my ass off for 2 weeks on a project trying to keep it under 32 prims physically. Finally get it working tonight my physics weight is 31.9. PE is 363. I turn physics on and the physics weight jumps up to f***ing 915..?!? which puts the entire object to 916 PE.... what is the point of it listing as 31.9 physics when clearly for some reason its simply NOT? all of the mesh physics models combined are under 200 polygons. Really losing any hope of mesh what so ever

Where are you reading the Physical properties?  I don't see it in the edit window anywhere once it is uploaded.

I just did a mesh bike and set the physics to None on everything but the root prim and it rides great but, I can't see where I am at with the physical number.

To see the physics weight in the edit dialog, Advanced->Show Debug Options->showAdvancedBuilderOptions: set to TRUE.

High physics weights usually result from small objects with high triangle densities, such as railings and ropes. Costs can still be high even with decomposed shapes if there are many hulls and/or many points per hull. The maximum for one object is 256 hulls with 256 points each, which would be 65536 x 0.04 = 26214.

Thinking about this...  what if you broke your ship model up into a few separate uploads.  Those that need to be physical and those that can be set to none after linking them together?  That's how I did my bike,  it is 27 different parts, 26 of which are set to none and 1 set to convex hull.  I'm not sure what the physical weight is but it is rideable so it must be under 30.  Tonight I'll do as Drongle said to see if I can read the physics of the linked model and report back. 

the boats 24 seperate small mesh items, each one has under 8 hulls in physics, in total its under 200 polygons worth of physical mesh. It is as much as a 32 prim "prim" object. None of them are set to convex hull if they were the count woudl not be 31.9 before turning it physical. it just makes no sense its like saying "this items 100 PE only until you rez it! then its 500 PE"

• Lindens

When an object is made "physical" / dynamic, it creates a heavier load on the servers than non-physical/dynamic meshes. So you can expect that the physics weight of an object will go up when you make it physical.

If the object is at or below 32 prims of physics weight *before* you make it physical, you should be able to successfully make the object physical. This will raise its physics weight (often above 32), but that is acceptable, as long as its physics weight is below 32 before you check the "physical" checkbox.

As for the specific example listed here, is it rezzed anywhere in particular, so that we can take a look at it and see if the numbers being reported are accurate? We're always looking out for assets who's costs seem unreasonable, to see if we need to adjust our algorithms. Thanks!

-Nyx

Drongle...  

I set the Advanced Building Options to true as you advised and it worked perfect.  Thanks Bro...

So...  On the bike I am testing...  I took an old build I had that was made up of sculpties and regular prims which came in at 30 prims.  I then removed the sculpty engine and inserted a new highly detailed Mesh engine.  Set physics to none on all parts except the root prim and inserted the scripts.  PE = 60, Physics weight is 1.2.   The bike handled pretty well but was a little sloppy in the turns.  I then set the front and rear tires to convex hull and the physics weight went to 4.9.  Well below the 30 Max.  I then rode it again and it road like a dream.  

Conclusion... I'm building Mesh Bikes !!  YEY !!  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.