Who here is really into music, dare I say quality music ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelli May wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

well it's not about pedestals, it's about enriching your life by listening to quality music instead of just partaking in the horsefeed that the mainstream offers you.

And The Beatles aren't mainstream? And suggesting they should be in everyone's (or at least, anyone with taste) top ten isn't pedestal-raising?

Really, I don't have anything against them. I love the trippiness of Magical Mystery Tour and the rawness of Please Please Me. I'm probably into a lot of the same bands that you are. I'd make a guess that The Who, The Stones, The Kinks and perhaps Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd find as much favour with you as they do with me. I just suggest that your opening remarks came off as unnecessarily divisive, and put off as many people as you'd attract.

No the Beatles were last in the mainstream in around 1971.  Sure they get played on most classic rock stations, but mostly the same dozen songs.  Most music fans of this era haven't heard many of their best songs.  Yeah you're right about some of my favorites.  As for putting people off, well I was really trying to save people the bother of reading my thread if their tastes weren't in my ballpark.

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

There is no such thing as universally agreed upon quality music.  Musical quality is totally subjective.  What you may think is great stuff may be an anathema to someone else. The truth is this thread is simply a commercial attempt to get people to try your product.

well this is the old all tastes are subjective argument.  May be true in a technical sense, but it's obvious that the Beatles made better music than Yoko Ono, and if you don't think so, you just have bad taste.  :)

@OP: LGG isn't that bad (I think her talents are wasted on the crap shes putting out commercially though)

there is some mainstream stuff I like, but I like to step off the path of radio play just a bit...

Tori Amos,
Dresden Dolls,
Decemeberists,
Ani DiFranco,
Leslie Fish,
Placebo,
etc...

I also like a lot of classical, though I tend to enjoy focused pieces more than full orchesta, so lots of concertos as opposed to symphonies. also Ambient techno. but I'll listen to anything that isn't old country (the newer popish stuff I like better) or gangsta rap (old school is better, hip hop is tolerable), and I love some good metal.

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

The Who is one of the greatest bands of all time, they are well represented on the station.

Love The Who .. where do you rate Queen?

I like Queen a lot.  Not in the same eschelon but the next one. 

So, are you a guitar driven music lover or another instrument driven? Do your choices lean towards power or finesse? ELP over ELO? BST over the Stones?

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

The Who is one of the greatest bands of all time, they are well represented on the station.

So, are you a guitar driven music lover or another instrument driven? Do your choices lean towards power or finesse? ELP over ELO? BST over the Stones?

My choices lean towards original melodies.  There's a pretty wide range of styles within the rock, pop/rock, and soul arenas.  It's mostly about the song itself. 

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

There is no such thing as universally agreed upon quality music.  Musical quality is totally subjective.  What you may think is great stuff may be an anathema to someone else. The truth is this thread is simply a commercial attempt to get people to try your product.

well this is the old all tastes are subjective argument.  May be true in a technical sense, but it's obvious that the Beatles made better music than Yoko Ono, and if you don't think so, you just have bad taste. 
:)

Hey, it's a very clever way to get free advertising, don't get me wrong, but it turns me off.  And I feel no need to defend my taste in music to you.

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

well this is the old all tastes are subjective argument.  May be true in a technical sense, but it's obvious that the Beatles made better music than Yoko Ono, and if you don't think so, you just have bad taste. 
:)

Hey, it's a very clever way to get free advertising, don't get me wrong, but it turns me off.  And I feel no need to defend my taste in music to you.

You're really cynical if the first thought that comes into your head when you see somebody excited to tell you about something he's worked on is advertising and commercial.  Since there's no profit or even conception of profit in this, you're wrong.   That you get turned off, well, I guess there's you and the other trillion people in the world who will never listen to my station.  

I also don't understand why you'd feel I was asking you to defend your tastes unless you're a huge Yoko Ono fan.  :)

Void Singer wrote:

@OP: LGG isn't that bad (I think her talents are wasted on the crap shes putting out commercially though)

there is some mainstream stuff I like, but I like to step off the path of radio play just a bit...

Tori Amos,

Dresden Dolls,

Decemeberists,

Ani DiFranco,

Leslie Fish,

Placebo,

etc...

I also like a lot of classical, though I tend to enjoy focused pieces more than full orchesta, so lots of concertos as opposed to symphonies. also Ambient techno. but I'll listen to anything that isn't old country (the newer popish stuff I like better) or gangsta rap (old school is better, hip hop is tolerable), and I love some good metal.

Our taste in music is strikingly similar... of course I'd have to add techno-pop, Industrial and EBM to the mix.

Tori is one of my all time favorites and I'm named after the Dresden Dolls I like them so much.  I agree with you about concertos, especially piano (mostly because I play piano, I guess)... though I do enjoy a good symphony and sometimes the occasional chamber piece.

Honestly, my musical tastes are all over the place... therefore, it's only fitting that I should love both the Beatles and Lady Gaga... imagine that... lol.

...Dres

I don't think so.  After listening to it yesterday (as neither is really my type of music), that "just be a drag, just be a Queen" sounds exactly like something from Madonna's "Vogue".  So Gaga used two songs of Madonna's - Express Yourself and Vogue, to make Born This Way.  If Gaga ever emerges with her own style, then whether she has talent or not is worthy of a discussion. 

Well, The Beatles are loved by songwriters the world over and have had an influence on so many song writers that came after.  So, I think that yes The Beatles should be in any top 500 simply because of the influence they had over song writing post Beatles.  And not plagarized like Lady Gaga, but rather gave influence to many, many songwriters that some of you all love in this thread as in the song structure:  verse, chorus, bridge, etc. 

Being a songwriter, I have to say I was heavily and directly influenced by the Beatles.  There could be songwriters that don't like the Beatles (as if... lol) that don't even realize they are being influence by them at least by proxy.

As far as Lady Gaga goes, she may be taking from a lot of places, but she puts it all together very well.  Whether or not she's actually plagiarizing anyone should be left up to the courts to decide... until then, I'll enjoy dancing to her stuff and having a good time.  Call me a fool... lol.

...Dres

Oh, there are some great music critics and books written by music critics.  Taught me a lot, and I mean a lot, about music; it's progression, who influenced who, what techniques they used to get a particular sound, so on and so forth.  Since I don't write music, the books have taught me so much on what goes into writing an usually creative and artistic song.  Critics understand song structure (that A, B, C thing, or A A thing, or A B thing, many different song structures), unusual chord changes, all kinds of things. 

But I do understand what you mean by critics, they are useful for some info, but not always correct for our own particular tastes.  I'm thinking of movies here and their star rating.  I've seen some movies that were rated two stars and I thought deserved three stars, etc...  I'll watch a movie if I like the actors and even though it might have gotten bad reviews, I like to watch the movie and decide for myself.  However, the majority of the time, the movie critics turn out to be right, but not always right.  

Critics are a useful tool for information because they have studied music or studied film.  What they have to say is interesting, but that doesn't equate to anyone loving that music or movie simply because it is critically acclaimed, or vice versa.

Mayalily wrote:

I don't think so.  After listening to it yesterday (as neither is really my type of music), that "just be a drag, just be a Queen" sounds exactly like something from Madonna's "Vogue".  So Gaga used two songs of Madonna's - Express Yourself and Vogue, to make Born This Way.  If Gaga ever emerges with her own style, then whether she has talent or not is worthy of a discussion. 

that was her quote not mine hehehehe

they all have their commercial phase they go through..even madonna had it with her first album ..once they get more on their own is when we get to see the real them..she didn't start writting her own songs until her second album..

then she let loose a bit more when she could contribute more..she became real controversal and showed off who she was...

i'm not a lady gaga fan myself..i mean i like a couple of her songs..but they are not something i am going to go out and spend money on..i like fergie better hehehehehe

i do have all of madonnas music though..even on wax that my father gave me =) i love like a payer

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

I mean, if the Beatles aren't in your top 10 alltime bands and/or you think Lady GaGa is brilliant, don't bother reading this post.

I really don't care much for the Beatles. They're not at all different from Lady Gaga or Justin Beiber - just for a different generation. Of all the major musicians of the 60s, they were the most 'produced candy pop' - and every revolutionary thing they did was just copying someone else to jump on the bandwagon of an already moving social agenda for more record sales.

But I would describe myself as a big fan of quality music. Yet I don't think most of you here know the Abyssinians or Culture or Luciano (not the Italian) and many might not even know Peter Tosh. ;)

And I actually find Lady Gaga kind of clever - from a Marketing standpoint at least. :D

Tastes vary.

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

My choices lean towards original melodies.  There's a pretty wide range of styles within the rock, pop/rock, and soul arenas.  It's mostly about the song itself. 

Well all of the artists I have cited do their own music. [ELP did do some classical covers though] and since you have been talking bands not songs I thought I'd ask which bands you consider noteworthy;-)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

And I actually find Lady Gaga kind of clever - from a Marketing standpoint at least.
:D

Tastes vary.

Actually GaGa is very good on this new cd. You and I is a great song featuring Brian May and Mutt Lange. She really "gets" a lot of things. Music composition, Video, Marketing, Social Media and most of all her fans. Madonna was a prima-donna, elitist who suffered her fans, GaGa embraces them. Smart cookie and great talent. You want to hate her but the music speaks and gets into your head;-)

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Well all of the artists I have cited do their own music. [ELP did do some classical covers though] and since you have been talking bands not songs I thought I'd ask which bands you consider noteworthy;-)

It's best you check out the station.  My interest in music runs so deep I hesitate to really go into it because to state some and not all would pigeonhole me.  Most people who have heard the station (assuming they like the Beatles more than Lady GaGa as a reference point) have loved it.   http://blazinglightsintheskyradio.com 

Also if a few more want to stream it on their property, let me know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.