Who here is really into music, dare I say quality music ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I mean, if the Beatles aren't in your top 10 alltime bands and/or you think Lady GaGa is brilliant, don't bother reading this post.

Anyway I'm just here to inform you that the best station on SL can be found at http://blazinglightsintheskyradio.com.  It's also the station that plays in the songwriters gallery in Soho (Mainland London) called Tin Pan Alley.  You're all invited to come check that out, there's a lot of content plus a fair amount of interactive stuff.  Sit on the roof and take in the choons.  :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

I mean, if the Beatles aren't in your top 10 alltime bands and/or you think Lady GaGa is brilliant, don't bother reading this post....

Actually they're both derivative rubbish who aren't even fit to lick the shoes of the late, great St Vivian Stanshall and the Bonzo Dog Band. So there ;-)

Alazarin Mondrian wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

I mean, if the Beatles aren't in your top 10 alltime bands and/or you think Lady GaGa is brilliant, don't bother reading this post....

Actually they're both derivative rubbish who aren't even fit to lick the shoes of the late, great St Vivian Stanshall and the Bonzo Dog Band. So there ;-)

i agree..both don't even come close to making my play list..i'm not into commercial stuff..top 40's are so last decade and before hehehe

The Beatles are incredible, but I love John Lennon's solo work and George Harrison's solo work much better than Paul McCartney.  I'm not much of a McCartney solo fan, but John and George love, plus George with The Traveling Wilbury's.  I dont' care for Lady Gaga as she reminds me of Madonna and I'm like Madonna already wrote a song like "Born This Way" and it was called "Express Yourself" which is a better song between the two.  Gaga, no thank you.  Madonna I like for dancing, but have no songs of hers in my library.   As far as Paul McCartney and Wings, I'd prefer to skip them altogether... too sappy.  So some Beatles stuff, but no Paul solo stuff, no Silly Love Songs or any Wings would I like to hear.  Paul's solo stuff is drivel.  So if you have Paul's solo stuff or any Wings, I'd prefer to skip it, so let me know.  I can't stand Paul's solo stuff, so that would have to go!  lol

Here's one amazing quality music video I was just listening too on You Tube.  Keith Emerson with John Entwistle. 

What a rare gem I found, I hope you enjoy!  Poster's on You Tube were saying John Entwistle stole the show!   

ETA:  I had to go find this video because my land lady pipes in some great music.  Fanfare For the Common Man was playing in my SL house last night before I sadly crashed, and I was like OMG; someone with incredible music taste; that's my land lady!  She pipes in some great choons.   However, if the music degrades, I'll tell her about your url.  But, my land lady, man, she rocks!  She pipes in some great choons! 

Well, I guess you could say I'm into music.  I have a small degree in music, and have played and composed for most of my adult life.  But I personally wouldn't dare to say what is "quality" and what is not.  The broader your horizons, the more music you can appreciate.  The Beatles certainly do make my own personal top ten list, but even though Lady Gaga would still have a long way to go to make that list, she still has some good moments.  I don't like to speak against what music another person might enjoy.  It's all good, if you can find the ear for it.

That being said, for classical redone with a beat one can dance to, I like Vanessa Mae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ798THmR5Y

For what I often listen to when wandering SL, I like the current composer, Roger Subirana (who publishes his works under a Creative Commons license).

But in the course of a day/night, I may end up listening to and enjoying almost any sort of music.  "Quality" in regards to music is a very subjective thing.

Gaga could never be on any serious critic's list; not even in the top 500.  It's a total rip off of Madonna, and Madonna is way better!  There's also one video on You Tube that shows Lady Gaga in almost complete copycat outfits of Madonna's.  Lady Gag-gag would be a better name as she has no talent whatsoever; she just copies Madonna.   And, that be a drag, just be a Queen sounds like plagarism of Madonna's Vogue.  Born This Way is also said to be plagarism of Express Yourself, but that's up to Madonna.  Madonna chose to overlook it.  Why?  I have no idea, as it's plagarism.  I heard it just by listening to the songs, but on You Tube there are a bunch of videos that play both songs, as it's compared to plagarism of Madonna's Express Yourself.

ETA:  Video below:

Well, I couldn't name even one serious music critic, since I don't listen to them at all.  LOL

As to whether Lady Gaga would make the top 500?  Eh, I'm sure I'm too lazy to think through at least 499 other acts to know if she does or not.  However, I own several hundred albums and CDs and none of them are her.  So based on the "wallet vote", I'd have to say I agree with you, Mayalily.  I've never bought any Madonna albums either, though.  I'm definitely not a fan of either, personally.

If you like knowing about musical rip-offs, this very short list of 5 might be interesting:  http://www.cracked.com/article_18500_the-5-most-famous-musicians-who-are-thieving-bastards.html   (strong language warning for that site, if you aren't familiar with it)  Particularly the bits about Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Andrew Lloyd Webber.  All of which would still probably at least make my personal top 500.

Talking of ripoffs, lets talk covers ;)

Nice song by the Mamma's & Pappa's but... here is the original;

And great song by Otis Redding... but here is the original;

And here a song most of us know as a Jackson 5 hit, here is the originak;

I love songs with a past most people don't even know about.

Now where did I leave that 1939 rap song?

As for madonna and gaga (she's no lady), I couldn't care less about either of them.

Both rather dull and boring average singers who badly want attention.

Not worth to even stand in the shadow of Billie Holiday and many more.

BOMBASTIC crap!!! as was the "virtuostic" music of ELP , which then opened the door to all those fans to discover "jazz"

and brings John McCoughlin the big daddy of crap..do you hear any dynamics? the keyboard solos are elementary sterile and souless as this music...jus sayin...

thats not what i heard..i heard madonna came from the past to the future and went back and was doing all of lady gagas stuff..

just give them time to find the missing time machine to link it all together..

just you doubters wait and see who the real madaga is!\o/

hehehhee :P

I was born in the 1970s but have never seen music from my lifestime as a classic and pretty much disliked most music and artists till I discovered there was music before I was born...

When I discovered the music made before the 1960s (and especially the pre 1950s) a whole new world opened up for me.

Proper music sung by classy people.

I also like a few songs that were released before I was born by bands like Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin. But there are a few musical pearls in every era and every genre. I just wish somebody would perfect them, rewrite crappy lyrics, find the perfect singer, that kind of thing. Especially with tracks that were recorded prior to the digital age. While there are many cover versions, they are usually worse than the original.

ETA: Here's an example: The End is the Beginning is the End by the Smashing Pumpkins. I really love that song, but the lyrics are abominable (even I could write them better) and Billy Corgan's squawking voice is a taste that I simply can't acquire. Somebody ought to buy the copyright, hire a female singer, and let me write the lyrics :) The rest of the song is perfect as it is.

Jo Yardley wrote:

The digital age?

Nothing beats listening to a 78 on a gramophone player!

A FLAC (free lossless audio codec) file kind of does, at least in my book :) I've bought my share of vinyl records when I was young, and I'm really glad that this technology is a thing of the past. Although the music was a lot better back then (and kids were taught proper manners, the food tasted better and the sun was brighter :) ).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.