Uploading a dae file for an person who doesn't have payment info on file

Nacy Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's the current policy for uploading meshes for a friend via transfered dae data if the person can't upload due to lack of payment on file.  It's possible thru a viewer (I use 3d browser) to look at the dae file to get a sense if its an original creation and not a copyright infringement so you aren't uploadeding "blindly, however I guess the risk would be that it might be a stolen dae file and the person doing the upload is ultimately responsible 9and could lose his/her mesh uploading priviledges...hmm, maybe I answered my own question here).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It will have your name as the creator.  That puts the responsibility on you both in the case of it being ripped content, and for customer support in SL if it is sold to a lot of people (they will contact the creator, not necessarily the store they buy it from, often). 

If it was me, I would have them create a new account, with their real life info. You add your payment info temporarily.  Upload that one item on that account, then delete your payment info, and let them have the account back.  Then the upload will be in their name, and all the problems will be theirs.

That's an interesting solution, although personally I'd never go to that much bother for someone by adding my personal payment info to a strangers account, no matter how friendly we were in SL.

I wasn't even considering a situation where the creator would ever be an issue such as doing this favor for someone who plans to make a business of selling mesh.  Anyone planning to exchange real money for their creations ought to have it together enough to be able to have payment on file.  I guess I was thinking about a scenario where someone just wanted to upload a mesh or two for their personal use, but doesn't have a credit card or whatever it takes (I forget at this point) to have payment on file. 

Thanks for your input!

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

If it was me, I would have them create a new account, with their real life info. You add your payment info temporarily.  Upload that one item on that account, then delete your payment info, and let them have the account back.  Then the upload will be in their name, and all the problems will be theirs.

Are you sure that is not against TOS?

Since IP right is an RL right, I would not upload for an anonymous account. But when it was a real good friend, who for whatever reason cannot have piof I would consider to do so for him. But not without an signed paper from him as RL person, that states that he is the IP right owner and he allows me to operate as his agent in SL.

""It isn't mine! I was just holding it for a friend!"

It's better to just abstain from any illicit behavior."

I agree, completely, Relapse, but I wasn't presuming this was illlicit in nature, just talking about someone who might have  worked on a creation of their own and wanted to upload it for their own personal use.  The question is whether it is allowable, or even adviseable to assist them out in this way.   I'm guessing probably not, but I was interested in hearing other opinions about this.

I wouldn't do it on my main account, because of the risk of trouble if it was ripped content.  I do expect someone to set up an "upload service" for pay, for people who cannot get payment info set up.  Not having PayPal or a credit card is not the same as having no money - anyone with an internet connection and PC to run Second Life has to have *some* source of funds.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.