Banning General welcome area usage.

Einsman Schlegel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There could be a greater amount of welcoming at the welcome areas. I like the variety of atmosphere found at different locations. Greater oversight has always been a demand and some progress has been made, but much still needs to be done.

I cannot second your vote to outlaw welcome areas but I would support some changes to the areas.

In the unlikely event welcome areas are banned; I put up a vote to convert the Regions into sandboxes!!

Some of the WAs have a cult following going back years, even now if I go to Ahern I see the same old faces that were there back in 2006, I wouldn`t support any vote to close them, too much stuff from SL history is already being trampled on IMO.

I do agree that better use could be made of them, as they aren`t always very welcoming.

I think at least as good a case could be made for closing all public sandboxes.

But I wouldn't really favor either of these changes.  Both sandboxes and welcome areas serve to reduce the load of griefers and other annoyances elsewhere. 

Welcome areas have the additional utility that, as Linden infohubs, they are where avatars rez when logging in to a down sim.  It has to happen somewhere.

Incidentally, I've seen some hint that Rod will disable voice at all infohubs and welcome areas where newbies rez.  That should have happened years ago.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I can`t think of any good reason to close public sandboxes. They are a crucial resource for people with no land.

That's exactly the reason: Sandboxes are an alternative to land ownership, which accounts for something like 90% of Linden Lab's revenue.

Similarly, welcome areas as social spaces compete with private venues, and those private venues also generate demand for land.

Economically, it's ultimately all about land.  Everything else is merely in service of getting more land in use.

Of all the years I've been here, yes, I agree there wouldn't be a landing spot (which is crucial to the new people landing in) I myself, wouldn't 'WANT' the 'GENERAL, welcome areas' closed but however, new people do not know where these sandboxes are AND above that they do not know they can make a landing spot on these public sandboxes an welcome areas just in case of a crash. 

If the general welcome areas WERE used the way they were 'intended' :matte-motes-mad:Such of course as voice being disabled as it should had been years ago, or never even implemented in the first place, but all I see at these areas are just flat out annoyances, griefs and so on that does no benefit to anything. 

From what I can tell you from experience.. There are huge differences and I do mean HUGE differences when I've changed welcome areas from Ahern to Araipama and NONE of the activities I see at Arapaima occur as does what goes on in Ahern.  So... even I remembering... the good ol days, when we had Stage 4 which surved a purpose for all of us instead of what it turned into.  I would LOVE to see Stage 4 brought back as new people would beable to gather with the old and converse about what's been on. 

Peace out.

Einsman Schlegel.

So basically your thread is that you think Ahern should be closed, not welcome areas in general....I completely disagree.

You can look at Ahern on the map anytime anyday & it ALWAYS has a crowd there, for the simple reason that people like it! They go back there year after year, new people come & go & some of them end up as regulars too, if you don`t like it, don`t go there.

There is no denying that at times it gets a bit out of hand, but it is what it is & its one of the most popular haunts in SL.  You will never get rid of griefers from SL & if you try to close sandboxes or welcome areas where they tend to hangout, all you will do is force them to move onto other places & upset a whole load of other people.

Changing the compostion of the Welcome Areas so that they are more helpy to new ppl won't stop older avatars congregating at them. Just have to go to Help Island Public, Orientation Island Public, Violet and Korea to see this.

I think that for new people, say upto 3 months, who haven't yet set their Home, it would be better if when they click the Home button on the viewer, or get killed or damaged inworld, they get sent to date-restricted Welcome Island Publics rather than to any old mainland WA filled with oldbies who mostly go there for reasons other than helping new ppl.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.