Maya or 3Ds Max to make SL avatars?

Lilly Figgis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I say either Maya or Max, of course I get both for free through my school so I don' thave to pay for em and I've used both to make characters at one point or another. I have to say though I like the bones in Max better but only because that was the first 3D tool I learned back in the day when 3DS was a dos program.

Lilly Figgis wrote:

I have been making shapes in SL since 2007, and with Mesh coming into scene in SL, I want to learn how to make them in mesh. I have Maya, 3Ds Max (trials versions) and Blender on my PC, so no worries about getting them.

Unless software piracy isn't an issue for you (in which, you'd be a hypocrite to complain if your content gets ripped off yourself), then remember those trial versions are only good for 30 days before you gotta pay up or quit using them.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Lilly Figgis wrote:

I have been making shapes in SL since 2007, and with Mesh coming into scene in SL, I want to learn how to make them in mesh. I have Maya, 3Ds Max (trials versions) and Blender on my PC, so no worries about getting them.

Unless software piracy isn't an issue for you (in which, you'd be a hypocrite to complain if your content gets ripped off yourself), then remember those trial versions are only good for 30 days before you gotta pay up or quit using them.

I am completelly against any kinda of piracy. I took the free trials to play a bit with them.

There will be an Autodesk exhibition in my location next month, and I am planing to attend it. 

will be present among other from the industry. I believe this is a good opportunity to learn more about the Autodesk products, and perhaps to buy the software at reduced price.

I know Maya or 3Ds Max can make the job, apart from other free softwares, however I am stil not sure what would work better for Second Life tough, but I will soon find out!

Maya and Max are both excellent tools and either one would be a fine choice for creating SL avatars. If that's all you plan to do though and have no other professional need for them then they're probably overkill. Blender is a very capable app and getting more powerful all the time so if price is an issue it's an excellent choice. Software wars are always a bit silly. There are a ton of excellent capable apps out there so a lot of it comes down to personal preference, and in a professional setting what works in a particular studio's production pipeline.I really don't recommend dropping several thousand dollars on software unless you're sure you'll make use of it or you inherited a lot of money - and are aware that learning to be a skilled user of these kinds of tools is a long journey, not something you'll pick up over a weekend. If you're just starting out then grab Blender and have at it. If you take to it like a fish to water then you may want to consider investing in other tools. If you discover you don't enjoy it like you thought you would you've gained valuable knowledge without mortgaging the farm.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, but what is the difference between Maya and 3ds Max?  It has been said that either is fine, but why are there two products from the same company at the same price?  The product descriptions from Autodesk don't make the differences clear.  The discussion here does not mention any differences between the two either.

Nany Kayo wrote:

Yeah, but what is the difference between Maya and 3ds Max?  It has been said that either is fine, but why are there two products from the same company at the same price?  The product descriptions from Autodesk don't make the differences clear.  The discussion here does not mention any differences between the two either.

Because Autodesk is the Borg of 3D companies, and they buy up any successful software that comes along, which includes *both* 3ds Max and Maya.  They don't just sell two 3D programs, it's more like 20.  My impression is Maya is somewhat better at animation work, and 3ds Max is somewhat better at architectural rendering, but there is a lot of overlap in features.  In some cases it may come down to available plugins and compatibility with other programs, or simply which toolbar layout you prefer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.