What's going on in here?

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LeeHere Absent wrote:

Tolya Ugajin wrote:

Somebody say boobies?

LOL

Looks like we'll have to trundle off to Huffington Post for the occasional Tolya fix.

I don't know, he seems to be easily persuaded at the promise of a show of bewbies.  

I bet he would like:

0003beaver.gif

Anaiya Arnold wrote:

The old forums were a sewer of drama.

A lot of us did not  feel comfortable even trying to post in such a vindictive atmosphere.

The forums are not supported by LL as some kind of freebie drama venue.  I have noticed that new users now post more, ask and get their questions answered politely and without belittlement, and to me this both better fufills LL's purpose in providing the forums, and is a much nicer state of affairs than all the nastieness that pervaded and was even cheered on before. 

The funny thing is, I am certain I remember reading the old "community" bemoaning the nasty state things had gotten into quite regularly.  Whole threads were made to bemoan how mean and nasty the alleged community had gotten.  Amusingly, much time was devoted to wishing the forums were like they were before the forums changed.

Of course we bemoaned the wars and some were downright nasty.  So, when the new forum was rolled out, complete with live mods, there were 'expectations'.  Things will never be as they once were and that's OK.  What we continue to aspire towards is having a place where, if we disagree, we can do so without being disagreeable.

New blood is always a good thing.  I am glad that you feel more comfortable posting now.  Welcome!

I haven't posted on the official SL forums for years.

There is an historical pattern here though.

The old Prok type flame feasts resulted in a shutdown followed by mass emigration to 3rd party forums.

The more recent Hiatus resulted in the same.

I still have a nostalgic feeling about the old forums though…so much scintillating humor…so many surreal de-rails.

I guess this incarnation of the SL forums must feel a tad sanitized to some of the old-timers.
But there are plenty of other SL-type forums to get your troll on.

If Newbie posters are less shouted down here…that seems a wholly good thing.
Charismatic and colorful posters…might find it harder to colour inside the lines here…but the SL forums aint the only game in town.

Waves @ Chris Norse….Hey chris…long time-no rez. :matte-motes-big-grin:

This post has more of a feel of the old SL GD forum posts. One of the biggest problems here when this new format was rolled out , even if you were following  the ToS the moderators made their own interpretations of those rules. Not just enforcing what was written but by going well beyond what they should have. Perhaps it's gotten better now with them ?  Being before this format it was strictly a adult orientated bill of fare. I can understand them wanting to sanitize it to be used by all ages. But in doing so it also killed the ebb and flow in the process.

The old SL Exchange/Xstreet forum was pretty strictly moderated, but it had a lot of good people (some now here) and was a very interesting lively place (until LL took it over and failed to moderate it, and it went downhill fast).

I can imagine moderation takes some adjusting to but I don't think it has to be a discussion-killer. The mods seem to want to get it right. They will make mistakes, I am sure, but unless I see evidence to the contrary, I am going to give the the benefit of the doubt about their intentions.

There are always tradeoffs. Moderation means being aware of where the lines are, but for many of us that is a reasonable price to pay to not have to slog through page after page of boring brawling and attacks. (Of course, some like forums because of brawling and attacks, so this place would not appeal to them.)

Canoro Philipp wrote:

you dont find many of personalities of the past because they banned themselves.

at first i felt like the forums lacked their presence but now that they are mostly forgotten i feel the forums to be a way better place.

Yeah this.

And I'd say there very much is a community here - and most of its members are friendly sorts who you can feel comfortable talking to here and in world. Some of us have our button topics, and might get snippy now and then - but save for a few 'recent returnees' the vast majority keep it civil and friendly 99% of the time.

The new forums are very community, its just a different community than the old ones - its a better one now. Some of those folks who are gone are very much thankfully gone. If you want to talk to them still, I imagine you'd only have to hit up some of the third party forums.

I believe this latest incarnation of the forum is vastly superior to the last one.  The Jive forums were filling with hate-spewing dramafests, idiotic infighting, vitriolic rants and wholly uncalled for personal attacks.  There was hardly ever a thread that didn't go down in flames by the end of it.  That anyone would look back at that cesspool with any sense of nostalgia, is beyond me.

Sure the Lithium forum was a scattered mess under draconian moderation when it was first introduced and I can see why people were running away from it with their tails between their legs.  But some of us decided to stick it out and work with the powers that be to mold it into a useable platform.

It's nice seeing some old names pop up in this thread, but honestly, if you guys hadn't have left then maybe you'd have had some say in the direction that this forum has gone.  Of course, it's not too late.  What you do is your choice, but what good does it do to come here and wax poetic about some old drama filled wasteland that will, hopefully, never see the light of day again?

If you were to have looked at my post count at the end of the Jive forums you'd have seen that they didn't even reach 200, now I'm edging 1000... why?  Because, now I feel comfortable that I can post about something, even something highly personal if I so choose, and not be worried about being cut to pieces by some asinine bulltroll.  To me... that is freedom.

Sure, there are some things we just can't talk about here, places we can't go and I do get pissed about some of the tactics that the moderators seem to be employing at times, but there are avenues to making things better here.  It may take some time and effort, but it can be done.  I, for one, will continue trying to make this a better place... because that's what I want.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

It's nice seeing some old names pop up in this thread, but honestly, if you guys hadn't have left then maybe you'd have had some say in the direction that this forum has gone.  Of course, it's not too late.  What you do is your choice, but what good does it do to come here and wax poetic about some old drama filled wasteland that will, hopefully, never see the light of day again?

Sure, there are some things we just can't talk about here, places we can't go and I do get pissed about some of the tactics that the moderators seem to be employing at times, but there
are
avenues to making things better here.  It may take some time and effort, but it can be done.  I, for one, will continue trying to make this a better place... because that's what I want.

...Dres

^^This^^

I totally agree, Dres.  People fled for various reasons, including to SLOff, and started to wander back when things were improving.  Good on them.  Welcome back, again.

I think that adult conversations are preferable to threads filled with youtube vids and dancing emoticons.  Even if these conversations have some dissent...so what?  Must we agree on everything?  We should be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

, but what good does it do to come here and wax poetic about some old drama filled wasteland that will, hopefully, never see the light of day again?

...Dres

Perhaps that was your experience of it.

It wasn't mine.

Why come here and comment on the change of vibe in th SLF??

Out of respect for Ima....and some of the names on 3rd party forums who keep extolling the virtues of this place.

Things change...er...duh...yeah I get that.

I aint complaining about that.

If throwing out the baby with the bathwater is the preferred solution to how to run a corporate forum...then by all means carry on.

I wish you joy of your clean and civilised "community".

:matte-motes-oh-rly:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I think that adult conversations are preferable to threads filled with youtube vids and dancing emoticons.  Even if these conversations have some dissent...so what?  Must we agree on everything?  We should be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable.

Oh I like both kinds depending on my mood.  And I certainly don't think we all have to agree on everything all the time... how boring would that be?  Seems like the moderation is still a bit heavy-handed for my tastes, but maybe, they can be gently persuaded to ease up a bit.

What I would really not like to see seep back into the forum, is people posting threads, however carefully disguised, with the intended purpose of airing some grievance with an individual or group of individuals, formal or informal.  I just think there are better places for that kind of behavior.  But people will do what they want, right?

...Dres 

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

What I would really not like to see seep back into the forum, is people posting threads, however carefully disguised, with the intended purpose of airing some grievance with an individual or group of individuals, formal or informal.  I just think there are better places for that kind of behavior.  But people will do what they want, right?

...Dres 

I agree, people will do what they want and people will read all sorts of things into a post.   That is part of the drama. 

Orfeu Miles wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

, but what good does it do to come here and wax poetic about some old drama filled wasteland that will, hopefully, never see the light of day again?

...Dres

Out of respect for Ima....and some of the names on 3rd party forums who
keep extolling the virtues of what this place has the potential to become.  

FIFY

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.