What's going on in here?

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings Ima,

I'm motivated to respond because I believe that it is important for everyone to recognize that SL is a Company which operates under the permissions and regulations from City, State, County and Federal Governments. European Countries have their own rules and regulations. Value added tax is money taken from people at the transaction point; who controls that? It's not LL.

If I wanted greater liberty I would first look at who is currently controlling it.

In my current personal opinion, I am not completely satisfied with SL's direction and course. As our final destination is not yet defined, there are few other options but to stay on the journey. Pushing boundaries is what made SL and I do not believe the spirit is lost.

In times long ago, if a crew was unhappy with the course of the ship, they would stand together on one side of the boat and change the ship's course.   

Maryanne Solo wrote:

And now we have the "Hit Squad" lmaooooo is this in reference to the image I posted in the women with weapons thread? I feel for you Venus I really do. These amazing attempts at connecting dots that don't exist are truly wonderful. The stuff of legend. (if it were SLU)

Naa...just raising a dead horse.  Perhaps it was before you started 'reading' Suspiria's blog (or before it went to video, in which case perhaps that is when you started reading it).  It was a tag assigned to me and a few others by a paranoid poster.   Your attempt at connecting these dots was amusing, though, as is your admission to RIC'ing posts now.

Suspiria has a video blog? o rite. lol. and a normal one too! ooo cool do tell us more :)

RIC ing a post Gen(i)us *blinx That font IS hard to read isn't it.  

"I put nothing past them. Nothing. They are a f*ck$ng cult, and Maddy directs them from afar. This, my friend, is a fact." -Sorm Clarence

Wow how embarassing.

It is quieter, more peaceful here.

I don't know the number of unique posters here compared to the old GDF. 

But I do feel the overall quality of the active posting community has, for lack of a better word, improved.

Some people have been censored (banned) and some people have chose to censor themselves.

Adult topics do get discussed.  Lively debate does happen.  But what is gone for the most part is the endless flaming of those who mistake anarchy for freedom.

Some people might find the absence of the flame wars boring. 

If someone flames in the Forums now they will get censored. 

If all someone wants to do is stir up a ruckus they will get censored.

If you abide by the rules here you can still have fun and good discussion. 

Do I think that sometimes it is a little too strict here?  Yes.

But I still enjoy it here.  Overall, when people do disagree, the active participants still stay respectful of one another.  Showing respect for another persons point of view isn't just given lip service.  So topics are discussed with more intelligence and less emotional vitriol.

If someone prefers emotional vitriol there are other places that they are free to take it.  It's just not allowed here.  If someone finds that boring, why should it be my problem.  What is wrong with me having a place that I don't have to deal with it?  I deal with enough B.S. in 1st Life.  I really don't want more of it here.

for whatever my two cents are worth

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

Hi Ima!  Nice to see you!  I dunno what's going on (love that song though). I miss the old jive forum as well.  But time marches on and this lithium forum is all we've got. Those that are still boycotting are both missed and missing out. I wish Tolya would come back

Hi Katt!  Nice to see you too!  Oh, wow, it would be really great to have Tolya back!  He is a riot! 

Knowl Paine wrote:

Greetings Ima,

I'm motivated to respond because I believe that it is important for everyone to recognize that SL is a Company which operates under the permissions and regulations from City, State, County and Federal Governments. European Countries have their own rules and regulations. Value added tax is money taken from people at the transaction point; who controls that? It's not LL.

If I wanted greater liberty I would first look at who is currently controlling it.

In my current personal opinion, I am not completely satisfied with SL's direction and course. As our final destination is not yet defined, there are few other options but to stay on the journey. Pushing boundaries is what made SL and I do not believe the spirit is lost.

In times long ago, if a crew was unhappy with the course of the ship, they would
stand together
on one side of the boat and change the ship's course. 

Awesome post, Knowl.  I think that even if we all were to stand together that we could do so without having to give up our individual ideals or snuff our individual personalities.  I'm sure that even as they agreed to stand together, some arguing as to who was going to stand where took place first :) 

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

Hi Ima!  Nice to see you!  I dunno what's going on (love that song though). I miss the old jive forum as well.  But time marches on and this lithium forum is all we've got. Those that are still boycotting are both missed and missing out. I wish Tolya would come back

I have been wondering -- did something happen to cause ppl to boycott or was it something like the over moderation in general?

Not OVERmoderation but moderation that meant that even if you obeyed the Guidelines ad TOS your posts could still be deleted. Many posters felt that it was a waste of time composing constructive coherent rational or even humorous posts if they were going to get taken down because one person or a mod felt oversensitive that day. Some of us still do.

Yeah Perrie, I agree with you too. I disliked the old GD Forum so rarely went near it. The same people just seemed to want to scratch each others eyes out and the topic was usually secondary. It wasn't fun or entertaining for anyone else and to my eyes, not the Utopia of lively posts, the colorful subjects, the display of various and wonderfully diverse personalities that Ima describes. Horses for courses I guess and I'm sure they enjoyed it but for me, the new Forum is a vast improvement and long may it continue.

Perrie Juran wrote:

It is quieter, more peaceful here.

I don't know the number of unique posters here compared to the old GDF. 

But I do feel the overall quality of the active posting community has, for lack of a better word, improved.

Some people have been censored (banned) and some people have chose to censor themselves.

Adult topics do get discussed.  Lively debate does happen.  But what is gone for the most part is the endless flaming of those who mistake anarchy for freedom.

Some people might find the absence of the flame wars boring. 

If someone flames in the Forums now they will get censored. 

If all someone wants to do is stir up a ruckus they will get censored.

If you abide by the rules here you can still have fun and good discussion. 

Do I think that sometimes it is a little too strict here?  Yes.

But I still enjoy it here.  Overall, when people do disagree, the active participants still stay respectful of one another.  Showing respect for another persons point of view isn't just given lip service.  So topics are discussed with more intelligence and less emotional vitriol.

If someone prefers emotional vitriol there are other places that they are free to take it.  It's just not allowed here.  If someone finds that boring, why should it be my problem.  What is wrong with me having a place that I don't have to deal with it?  I deal with enough B.S. in 1st Life.  I really don't want more of it here.

for whatever my two cents are worth

Good points.

I guess, as I stated in my OP, I often see threads pulled and I have followed them while at work on my droid, no evidence of TOS violation, but when I come home and try to log in to post, the thread is just gone.  I'm not sure I understand why things are so strict, what is the purpose of being that rigid?  If the TOS and CS are not the only rules we are to follow, how are we supposed to know when we are pushing the boundaries?  I enjoy posting, but I don't really want to shovel snow in a blizzard if you know what I mean ;)

Good to see you btw :) 

Cato Badger wrote:

Not OVERmoderation but moderation that meant that even if you obeyed the Guidelines ad TOS your posts could still be deleted. Many posters felt that it was a waste of time composing constructive coherent rational or even humorous posts if they were going to get taken down because one person or a mod felt oversensitive that day. Some of us still do.

Thanks, and I see what you mean. :matte-motes-sour:

We had the same problem in Commerce and it drove a lot off. Thought they had found a pretty good moderation level but now am wondering. Nothing ruins a  forum off like either too much or too little moderation.

I talked to Tolya a long time ago, he doesnt want to come back, same as many other old GD posters.

its their decision not to come, because the forums dont fill their interests, some retired from the forums in protest of something they didnt liked, and well, they arent missed.

we rarely see threads or mentions of the old GD posters, we have threads fine without them, wish them the best wherever they are.

the only way to have them back would be to convince each one personally, i tried, no success.

As far as I know there was no organized boycott.  I think different people left for different reasons.  Some found other venues during the blackout.  Some complained a lot and then left, some just left.  Some came back once in a while, sticking a toe in to test the waters now and then. 

I complained for a while, left for a while, and came back once in a while when I heard about a good thread.  I think that I've been coming back more and more often lately. This, I think is a good sign.

But I still miss some voices that are silent now.  And I still get mad when threads get deleted.  Locking I can understand.  Deleting an obvious troll I can understand.  But I hate it when whole threads go missing.

A very nice OP, Ima, and some excellent questions. My own attitude about the forum has undergone some changes lately. I was mostly away for about a month due to RL commitments, and since coming back I've had a hard time getting back into the "groove" of keeping up with various threads. I can't quite put my finger on why.

I'll have to ponder this for a bit. In the meantime, a warm "hi" to those I haven't seen posting here in a while!

at first i was hurt that many dissapeared, i talked to some of them to convince them to come back.. but i learned with time that as much as we want them here for our own entertainment, we have to respect their decisions, and its better to forget them, maybe we remember them like history, but its just useless to have the hope that they will come back. its more healthy to leave the past behind and live our present.

Quinn Morani wrote:

... and since coming back I've had a hard time getting back into the "groove" of keeping up with various threads. I can't quite put my finger on why.

I'll have to ponder this for a bit. In the meantime, a warm "hi" to those I haven't seen posting here in a while!

If you really meant what you wrote, and if you look at it 'reasonably' then you know the answer.  You know it, and I know it.  But that's OK, because I really do understand your position. 

ETA and I am NOT trolling you for a response.  

Canoro Philipp wrote:

at first i was hurt that many dissapeared, i talked to some of them to convince them to come back.. but i learned with time that as much as we want them here for our own entertainment, we have to respect their decisions, and its better to forget them, maybe we remember them like history, but its just useless to have the hope that they will come back. its more healthy to leave the past behind and live our present.

My heart bleeds for others and their reasons why they don't want to post 'here' anymore.   You post here.  I post here.  The LWL post here.  

Quinn Morani wrote:

A very nice OP, Ima, and some excellent questions. My own attitude about the forum has undergone some changes lately. I was mostly away for about a month due to RL commitments, and since coming back I've had a hard time getting back into the "groove" of keeping up with various threads. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Hi Quinn!  There was a groove to the old GD.  Even with all of the shenanigans, it had a groove...something that just made you get up in the morning and take a look at your email and check to see what your favorite posters were up to....a real draw.  I miss that. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.