Newbs conduct inworld

Giadda Robbiani

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One of the things that should be taught to newbs coming into SL is their conduct.  

I don't mind helping any newbs who need guidance, but I don't know how many times I hear, or I am subjected to some truly ignorant and rude interactions with newcomers who don't seem to have any common sense in their activities in world.  They need to remember that if they wouldn't do it in RL, then don't do it in SL.

Examples: 

1. Newbs flying into your home or landing on your property and start either looking around or using your property.

2. Sending you friend requests when you've never met or spoken to them.

3. Asking residents for money/lindens.

4. Rudely stepping in and jumping on dances/poses when a partner of  a resident does it.

5. They need to read profiles and see the status of residents, rather than blindly propositioning them with inappropriate remarks.

6. They think that filthy nasty crude language is ok anywhere in a public club/location.

7. Greifing by accident or malicioulsy.

8. Teens showing up at adult dance clubs and not understanding how to conduct themselves.

Maybe if these problems were addressed in orientation, there wouldn't be as many problems and so many complaint reports filed, and it would keep newcomers out of trouble.

Ahh yes, those annoying newbies!  If only SL could survive without them!

My take on your list is that some of these things are typical newbie behaviour (1, 2 and 4).

Reading profiles is an individual choice.  If someone makes inappropriate remarks (whether or not they have looked at your profile), react as you see fit.  One does not need to be a newbie to make inappropriate remarks.

I was just asked for L$ today from a resident with a rez date in January 2011.  Not so new.

Griefing is not the domain of newbies.  Nor is 'crude' language.

Teens showing up at an adult club is a no-no and they should be reported to club management.  That is, if you are certain they are teens.

Anyway, I agree that common courtesy is preferable from all residents--new- or oldbie.  But, let's not dump all of this on newbies, OK?

No, I'm not dumping on the newbs, I've just found over the years that they seem to be clueless as to common sense type behavior.  I think it would be great if those topics were introduced during orientation and maybe those behaviors would be minimal once they're moving around inworld.

I agree with you too, that at times, residents who have been inworld awhile also exhibit some bad behaviors... and there's no excuse for that, since they should certainly know better by now.

I haven't seen too much of that list* in my personal experience in SL with newbies, but I do see them ignored by or in clubs a lot, such as just standing there and their avatar keeps looking up (obviously looking for some kind of dance ball), and a lot of hostesses just ignore them, even for up to five minutes.  So I finally IM the newbie and help them get their avatar started dancing, etc.  And the newbies are always courteous and gracious when I help them.

I think the clubs should provide a 'manager on duty sign' rather than a hostess.  It could help a lot such as even a sign over their head that reads "Manager on Duty, If You're New to the Club, I'm here to Help You"... something like that.  Something that lets the newbies know who to contact if they are stuck.  Now I understand RL happens and people do have to go afk even while hostessing, but the clubs should provide something for the newbies and not just leave them standing there.  I've seen newbies having to teleport out so many times because they went completely ignored for a very long time, and I was not the one getting paid as the hostess.  Clubs should provide more clearly spelled out instructions for newbies, or send them a notecard on how to work things upon arrival.   That's my opinion about helping newbies, I think it should be up to the land owners and the one's getting paid to do the work.  Now some hostesses are very good at their job, but they are not in the majority, especially when it comes to newbies.   A few hostesses I know are in the excellent category and they do an excellent job, but those are few and far between as I've seen lots of newbies just give up and teleport out.  I help when I can, even though I'm not getting paid. 

ETA:  There are some newcomer friendly clubs in the directory.  That is helpful to newbies to go to the newbie friendly clubs if they can find them.  I saw and went to some newbie friendly places when I started out in SL.  They are just described as "newbie friendly".  However, most other clubs, not so newbie friendly.  Perhaps that's their rule or something to not be newbie friendly?  I often wonder why so many go ignored like that?  I don't see a reason for newbies to go so ignored since they've got to have an eject button somewhere if it's a griefer.   I think some people just don't have the patience for newbies perhaps? 

*I've only experienced 1 and 2 on your list.  But, the friend's invite from someone I don't know is no big deal to me.  No. 1 bothers me a lot though, but that is not just newbies at all.  I had someone trying to teleport into my last home; not a newbie at all.  As a matter of fact, I was the newbie who got griefed by an oldie. 

I think there are 2 types of newbies; the ones that don't need help and prefer to act stupid wherever they go, the ones that do need help .... the easiest way to seperate the weak from the strong ones is to IM them, if they react promptly and are polied I will do the best I can to help them out with whatever they need to know, the others well I just MUTE them or if they are on my land BAN + MUTE them....think it is that easy!! :matte-motes-sarcasm: *meows*

I confess to being a noob once. I was a bad one too, although I did not commit any of the transgressions listed in the OP as a noob. No, I committed such transgressions later.

The thing to remember about noobs is that they are the future. No more noobs means the death of our world as we know it. In some ways they are like infants. Demanding, burdensome, and annoying, but critically important.

And just remember when you think you know everything, someone else comes along to show you something you didn't even know that you didn't know.

Here's to the noobs! <raises a glass of hard liquor>

Teaching them those traits of common sense is harder than one might think. Most already spend several times their attention span learning the technical basics... by the time they're through all that, precious few of them are interested in getting into behavioral ones... al the more so since, whether they're adults or not, they're pretty much convinced they already knew those way before they entered SL.

For each noob that's happy to learn from an orientator things such as not sending random friendship requests, not demanding RL info, or being careful with some kinds of too 'eager' help offerings... there are at least twenty noobs who cannot even be bothered to learn how to dress enough to not violate PG region rules, how to set up their mics and headphones to not abuse everyone else's timpani, how to stop pushing everyone around...

For better or worse, most of us learn those things the hard way, at the expense of being laughed at, ignored or scolded... and of course also at the expense of everyone else's patience and tolerance.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I do not understand why social graces that one learns while growing up need to be taught in SL.  If someone behaves poorly in SL, they probably have tendancies to do the same in RL.

Fortunately, the vast majority of my interactions with other residents have been fine.

It isnt so much they need to be told or taught social graces all over upon entering SL..its that it seems any they had fly out the window as some think its a "game" and it doesnt matter how they  interact. Ive seen it quite often with a new resident, its almost as if this is some sort of fake world & other people have fake feelings and they feel free to say as they please and act as they please? Social graces seem to leave them, especially with those that appear to be here primarily to hook up for "the sexeh's"

I think that some struggle so much with learning the basic technicalities, they get frustrated and then begin to act up like  a petulant child...I dont mean all...I do mean "some".

The majority of new residents I meet are very nice and well mannered but at least a few times a week...I get hit on with repeated demands for "lets have sex"..and I dont frequent clubs or free sex areas...Im usually just stood shopping or on my home sim renting homes.

btw I really dont like to call people newbs...I prefer new resident...:matte-motes-big-grin:

Well, first of all, some places are listed as "newcomer friendly" and some aren't.  And, no they are not in IM, I am, and I'm not the one getting paid.  I have even caught a few in IM just before they teleported out and they said they felt completely ignored.  And, I don't blame them, because they were. 

Now take RL, a hostess is there for the newcomers to get acquinted with the rules of the club, etc, or to find the restroom or other things, i.e. how they work.  In SL, I really have had very little need to IM a hostess or a need for a hostess for anything, except to IM about a possible griefer I might suspect which has happened perhaps twice.   Other than that, I have no need for a hostess, but the newcomer's to any club do.  The newbies or even the newcomer's to a different club are the ones that need the attention and help, but they go vastly ignored from what I've experienced. 

I think it would and could improve the SL experience greatly if they'd just have a 'manager on duty' with some large 2D signs about who to contact if you are a newcomer to the club, and also just transfer a notecard to the newcomers to help orientate them.  The hostess job should be concentrated on the newbies, or else, just like in real life, you lose a potential customer.   If a person walks into a real life establisment and gets completely ignored, chances are they are going to just walk out.  A club's new business generates from newcomers, that's why the clubs should focus on them, as others who have been to the clubs really don't need any assistance, unless of course, a griefer shows up and that's about it. 

I agree with some of the op, but there are a few things we "oldies" should remember- mainly, that in the case of private property, they probably don't know there IS private property right at first, especially if you're a renter on a sim with public areas.  I've had that happen many times, and most people will just leave if I let them know they're trespassing.  If it's truely that big a concern, like you rent somewhere with very high traffic, then you should be able to set up restriction lines around your lot.  I didn't, because sometimes they would show through my walls and that's ugly =/  You can invest in an inexpensive security system too, that ejects people who aren't allowed after a warning.  I used to have one that just put an orb around unwanted visitors so that even if they did wanna hump someone on my furnitures, they wouldn't be able to see it xD  Not that I never had to boot anyone- but both times I did, they weren't new, they were just wannabe griefer asshats.  One spent the next hour flying around my ban lines and probably watching me change, and the other just stood out in the street and threatened to grief me if I didn't give him money(the report on that one with the copypasta of the conversation was HILARIOUS).  Both avis were over a year old at the time.  

Most new people are not going to consider it rude to send a friend request right off the bat either.  You don't have to accept it, but you don't have to be a snotty arse about it either; just explain that you prefer to keep your friends list to people you talk to regularly for the sake of managability and go from there.  As far as the propositioning for sex out of nowhere or inappropriately; pffft, just mute.  Those kind of approaches don't deserve the courtesy of a response or the time it would take to chew them out.  I prefer to keep my SL as free from drama and BS as possible, because otherwise it's not fun.

If someone asks you for money, you can either mute or give them a couple of suggestions on how to make money.  Or link them the marketplace and give them LMs for freebies.  It doesn't have to ruffle your feathers unless you let it.

Teens in adult clubs can be a real issue- I just found out recently that someone I worked with in a club 2 years ago JUST turned 17.  A very adult club.  But honestly, if you can't prove they're underage then it's not really your problem.  Mute is a lovely and useful tool if people are acting like teenagers.

Oh yeah, and hostesses that ignore noobs don't keep their jobs in the clubs I work at, either.  You don't deserve tips to put on a group tag and dance next to the DJ.  Hostessing is probably the most demanding job in a club, as far as actually working events goes(assuming all the DJs software behaves- how I hate you sometimes SAM! lol).  If you're not willing to be friendly, engaging, keep up the chatter, and welcome people, then you should find another way to earn your Ls.

Rowan Villiers wrote:

If you're not willing to be friendly, engaging, keep up the chatter, and welcome people, then you should find another way to earn your Ls.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Now there are some hostesses that do that, but the welcoming thing does not work if the newbie is constantly looking up in the air for the dance balls.  If the avatar is looking up in the air constantly, they won't see local chat.  Sending a simple notecard would help as I don't see why some clubs should be designated newbie friendly as they all should be newbie friendly if age verified, of course.   They obviously have tools to take care of griefers so there shouldn't be a detourant towards newbies, as griefers can be oldies.   Not to mention, businesses need new customers - that's the way you thrive as a business.  If people are coming back to your club, they obviously like it and don't need the attention; it's the newbies who do, so just send them a notecard with some simple instructions.  And by doing that, you've helped open the IM, and the newbie now has a window open to just say "Help!" 

And, in my case, I was griefed by an oldie who tried to teleport into my SL first rental home. 

Right, if a new person stands around in a club not dancing for more than a few minutes to rez, then definitely some assistance should be offered.  Telling everyone where the public dance balls are- and the differences between them if the club has different kinds- is something hostesses should and usually do handle that I've seen.  However, I don't spend alot of time in clubs other than the ones owned by friends, and perhaps in other places there are more problems.  Our dances balls also have hovertext above them as well, I believe.

As I read this OP I'd just left a Freebie Free For All place helping out a friend.  That was the first time I'd seen plenty of Newbs in a while and given what I just saw and Giadda's comments all that stuck in my head was~

Mine, mine mine.... mine.... MINE Mine... :smileysurprised:

The experience was just like being caught in a huge flock of those silly seagulls from that Nemo fish movie... sadly hilarious OP Giadda.

p.s. I escaped with only a half dozen friend requests, and surprisingly I didn't get the 'hyye beby where do the sexts wit me?'... although it was only a four minute 'exposure' so they may have simply been waiting for me to do the friend acceptance.

Ohh, to be a Newb again... Enjoy the Newbs, you were them once (although maybe not quite so Newbish)

I had to look it up, I've seen newb and noob used.

Urban Dictionary: newb
A term used to describe a inexperienced gamer/person/etc. Unlike a noob, a newb is someone who actually wants to get better.

Urban Dictionary: noob
1. noob Someone who does not know how the world works, what is going on, or anything. They aren't as new as annoying. A newbie is someone new but isn't an idiot.

When I see a new Resident, I see an egg of creation and they are actually shaped like an egg because they were messing with their Avatar.

A voluntary Indepth Orientation would be of measurable benefit to the Community; I would support that.

Knowl Paine wrote:

Urban Dictionary:
newb

A term used to describe a inexperienced gamer/person/etc. Unlike a noob, a newb is someone who actually wants to get better.

Urban Dictionary:
noob

1. noob Someone who does not know how the world works, what is going on, or anything. They aren't as new as annoying. A newbie is someone new but isn't an idiot.

One minor point missing from your definition is that Newbie/Newb is traditionally used from an angle of being 'understanding' or used with the intention of helpfulness, whereas Noob is more derogatory.

Ohh, to be a Newb again... Enjoy the Newbs, you were them once (although maybe not quite so Newbish)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohh my ohh my,  I do so remember my first months in sl.. I was so clueless, often wearing 3 diffent layers of clothes.. So I have found myself not being so critical to the residents.. Thou thinks they can be goofy at times so can I.. And it sort of flatering to be "hit" on.. no bothers..

Happy tuesday everyone...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  

As a Newb, but I hope not a Noob, I can see where you're all coming from.  We've all been places in RL and online where we're the new girl/boy, and SL is a mahoosive learning curve.  It's day two for me and I'm still staggering round like a drunk looking decidedly suspect!  But there was a lovely lady in a shop who IM'd me and said "hair and shoes are the worst to get in the beginning" and pointed me in the right direction.  As a girl hair and shoes are almost as important as breathing, and I really appreciated her help.

So far SL has been a very positive experience, but I'm still googling for info on a minute by minute basis.  So I agree that a voluntary induction process would be really handy for all concerned.  Especially if you can dip in and out of it when you need to progress.  

Saying that I've found these forums now, so I'm sure you lovely people will be bugged by me for info instead.  Run for the hills!  I'm sure there are those who'd love to mute me in RL!

Hope this wasn't too much from a newb, I'm too small to do too much damage if I tread on toes.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

jespey wrote:

Hi!  

As a Newb, but I hope not a Noob, I can see where you're all coming from.  We've all been places in RL and online where we're the new girl/boy, and SL is a mahoosive learning curve.  It's day two for me and I'm still staggering round like a drunk looking decidedly suspect!  But there was a lovely lady in a shop who IM'd me and said "hair and shoes are the worst to get in the beginning" and pointed me in the right direction.  As a girl hair and shoes are almost as important as breathing, and I really appreciated her help.

So far SL has been a very positive experience, but I'm still googling for info on a minute by minute basis.  So I agree that a voluntary induction process would be really handy for all concerned.  Especially if you can dip in and out of it when you need to progress.  

Saying that I've found these forums now, so I'm sure you lovely people will be bugged by me for info instead.  Run for the hills!  I'm sure there are those who'd love to mute me in RL!

Hope this wasn't too much from a newb, I'm too small to do too much damage if I tread on toes.

Jen

Hello Jen,

You might try Caledon...they have a wonderful tutorial that you walk through on your own.  Follow the red arrows in the floor when you tp there.  It's a bit of an SL University and they also offer classes and often there are veteran residents there to offer a hand to answer questions.

Just my two cents and welcome to SL :matte-motes-smitten:

Cheers to all!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.