"Feet" Wrong in Hight detectors, 2.0 meters is 5 foot 1 not 6 foot 6!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm the developer that Lonewolf has been arguing with. Heaven help me, for I have no idea why I keep arguing.

I don't know why he is pursuing this argument. I don't know of anyone - not even a Linden - who agrees that 1 meter in SL is intended to represent anything but 1 meter in RL.

The height calculation in Phoenix and FIrestorm computes the height of the bounding box, then ads 195 millimeters to reach the proper height. I don't know why the bounding box is set at the level of the eyeballs, but it is, as rezzing a phantom prim over your avatar will show. I spent a fair amount of time seeing why Phoenix had it right and Firestorm didn't, in the early days of its development - and found the 195 millimeter fudge factor.

I've told him to stop complaining at my email inbox. I have better things to do than deal with kooks who refuse to see that redefining a fundamental constant of nature is not the way to deal with an apparent discrepancy in the scale of SL vs RL.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So there for": 1 SL foot = 0.39400 in Secondlife prim Size! 

Note: Second Life is smaller then real life! if you take a avatar and put it on your desk it is in fact the size of a real life ink pen! that can be meshrued by a real life ruler! 

Fact:4: 1 "Real Life" inch is 1 "Second Life" meter

Fact 51 "Real Life" cm = 1 "Second Life" Foot =) 

Fact 6: 1 cm = 10 mm

Fact 7: 25.4 mm = 1 inch

Fact 8: 1 mm = 0.0394 inches

"So there for": 1 SL foot = 0.39400 in Secondlife prim Size! 

-

i was never arguing about "meters" btw i was saying that lInden Lab and your "feet" thing is wrong :P when calclating feet.. thats why i keep ussing the words "feet feet feet" how many times do i have to say feet befor someone stops thinking im saying the meter thing is wrong o.O i said "feet" 100's of times in my posts xD 

1m == 1m == 3.2808399

period...

and V2 (as noted) uses the incorect bounding box measurement, which is the bottom of the foot (or system shoe, if worn) to the top of the spine, rather than heel to crown.... the lsl function has the same limitation, and neither accounts for prim attachments of any kind (shoes, hair, heads, feet) nor animations (including poor posture, or deformers)

LL will NEVER lay a claim that 1m is anything less than 1m, because it would devalue their region offerings.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

when lidnen lab says 1.0 they are speaking in metters by a ruler/ tape messuror made by a real linden! and the grid itself allso fits that ruler 

the ruler is painted onto the "grid itself" i have been building for 6 years btw.. with tiny prims, normal prims and mega prims! 

and when linden Lab made the hight detector they are conpareing the average real life hight of a real life person to the average newly newbie made avatar hight to give it a more "real feeling of real life" if you take a avatar out of secondlife and re it on your table in real life it is only 2 metters tall just like the grid says! "when its 2.0 metters tall" 1,5 metters = 1 metter and 5 cm.. even the grid itself says so!

Yeah, I get it. The nearest parking lot! A photon is burly. Indeed, a completely optimal jersey cow indicates that another wedding dress for a tripod barely sells some particle accelerator for a warranty. Does nobody think of the squid behind the recliner? If a salty sprout makes a truce with a feverish chess board, the plaintiff meditates in the shadow of his greedily twisted garbage can. Rejoice, for the fundraiser sweeps the flat on the floor!

That's a great response, but it's still more comprehensible than the OP's. Perhaps if you used random Unicode characters?

No it is not the grid LL will have to change bc LL made the grid's measurements  using a ruler, why do you think everyone says that "a height detector dose not match a real life person's height" and uses the term "second life is bigger then real life as a excuse without even taking much thout in the matter! I have been in second life long enuff to see what Linden Lab says about everything! I have even talked to a real linden and when I asked them in 2008 when I 1st started these same argument about the "scripted prim height detectors" I asked a linden why don't linden lab just tell everyone that a avatar can be measured seeing a ruler from real life and that a avatar is small as a real life ink pen, he told me "if we tell everyone then all the shop owners will complain about having to change the scripts in the height detectors and the shop owners will complain about having to change tear shapes bc of it bc it has been soo long sence sl started and its been so long sence these subject ever came up that they do not want to start getting yelld at about how they did not tell them sooner so they just leave everyone at peace from not having to change any shapes or scripts" ...

Void Singer wrote:

Mm == Mm ==

period...

and V2 (as noted) uses the incorect bounding box measurement, which is the bottom of the foot (or system shoe, if worn) to the top of the spine, rather than heel to crown.... the lsl function has the same limitation, and neither accounts for prim attachments of any kind (shoes, hair, heads, feet) nor animations (including poor posture, or deformers)

LL will
NEVER
lay a claim that 1m is anything less than 1m, because it would devalue their region offerings.

i was never saying meters was wrong, i was saying the calculations of feet in a hight detector was wrong, sl feet is defrent then real life feet bc secondlife is smaller then real life! i never said meters was wrong nore was ever sugesting that LoL i was showing how you can get a right and true "avatar hight detetecor"  that wold fit real life feet ;) making more "right" and true in "feet", evrytime i say these hight detector says a female is 6 foot 6 evryone keeps making the poor etscuse that sl is bigger then rl.. "they never tookt he time that i did to actully look into evrything to make evrything fit real life meshurments" im taling feet btw not meters "feet" SL when players use the meshurements of "real life" to try and get a avatars hight the mesherments are allways off bc they are useing the wrong meshurements,.. they allways come up witht he idya that evrything in sl is bigger then real life never stoping to think making the "players" of sl is useing the wrong meshurments yall try to say that sl is the same size as real life and then meshuring sl avatars by real life codes when i stoped and tookt he time to calculate "evrything" to where it all fits nicely, a real life female is not 6 foot 6 period! but the average real life female is around 5 foot tall ;) im 5 foot 6 in real life and i am "male" my sister is shorter then i am in rl Lol 

Marianne Little wrote:

I will never reply to this OP (Lonewolf Lightworker) again, because he goes back and edits and changes his posts, thus leaving the replies pointless.

i edit it untill it is un-arguable =) ("mabey when no 1 can argu with it Linden Lab will take notice) then agin they probley dont even care what we post here >.> so i really have no idea why im posting anything here and not on linden labs ishue page xD

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

has a lot of known and tested facts about how high a avatar is! all tested and proven accelerate by the top people of Linden Lab! 

All a bunch of made up whatever that has no basis in fact. There is no standard height in SL. The norm has been slowly going down to be closer to real proper anatomy - but its a very slow trend that could be better stated as a growing set of people who use the numbers as what they say and then the rest of SL that just slide it up to max - very little middle ground.

you are the one who has no proof about what you are saying! you can not show me "anything" that proovs what your saying and for that you fail! 

Void Singer wrote:

the "feet" are correct too...
1m == 3.2808399ft
always has, always will. period, stop, end of line, EOF.

Like i said before Linden Lab did not start the "hight detector thing" a player did and when i brout these topic up back in 2007 they said to me "yes we know that a avatar can be meshured with a ruler and that the rl feet dont fit sl feet but sence these topic never came up befor with LInden Lab and bc the hight detector was made by resadents we are afraid that we cant do anything about it and if we do tell everyone then the shop owners will be mad for not telling them sooner bc of change of shapes" 

but that was in 2007 btw.., when Linden Lab had no part of what the hight detecter dose.. but now they are part of it so i can say something about it agin! =) 

just because it's not measuring what you think it should be measuring, the units don't change.... the units are accurate, what it is measuring is just not what you (or most people) expect it to be measuring.

you expect "heel to crown" the appearance window shows "heel to top of spine plus shoes, AKA bounding box".... if you want to complain about the expectation vs what's actually being measured, there's a jira on it already..... both for the appearance window, and the lsl function which has the same behavior.....

feel free to add your complaints there, and heavens willing one day they may actually get fixed, but I think the thinking currently is that fixing it would break too much content, and so it's on hold until a new method can be introduced on the server that doesn't break current content built on the existing expected behavior.

Void Singer wrote:

just because it's not measuring what you think it should be measuring, the units don't change.... the units are accurate, what it is measuring is just not what you (or most people) expect it to be measuring.

you expect "heel to crown" the appearance window shows "heel to top of spine plus shoes, AKA bounding box".... if you want to complain about the expectation vs what's actually being measured, there's a jira on it already..... both for the appearance window, and the lsl function which has the same behavior.....

feel free to add your complaints there, and heavens willing one day they may actually get fixed, but I think the thinking currently is that fixing it would break too much content, and so it's on hold until a new method can be introduced on the server that doesn't break current content built on the existing expected behavior.

Like i said before Linden Lab did not start the "hight detector thing" a player did and when i brout these topic up back in 2007 they said to me "yes we know that a avatar can be meshured with a ruler and that the rl feet dont fit sl feet but sence these topic never came up befor with LInden Lab and bc the hight detector was made by resadents we are afraid that we cant do anything about it and if we do tell everyone then the shop owners will be mad for not telling them sooner bc of change of shapes" 

but that was in 2007 btw.., when Linden Lab had no part of what the hight detecter dose.. but now they are part of it so i can say something about it agin! =)

PS: i know its not right bc when you start a new girl avatar a "linden made girl avatar" it says its 6 foot 8.. and it says a guy avatar is 8 feet tall o.O "fail" so anything els you want to add to the subject? girls are not 6 foot 8 nore 8 feet tall in real life LoL and guys are not 8 foot tall irl! 

i

Void Singer wrote:

i bet you never even read the parts where i said a linden told me back in 2007 when i brout these subject up befor" with the prim hight detectors that infact yes sl is smaller then rl.. and yes avatars are the size of rl ink pens but they did not"create the hight deetctor" a resadent did so it was not up to them to change what hight it says he or she is bc they was not "involved with it" but now they are involved bc they added it to there viewer!!! so now i can re talk to them about it xD 

SL != RL

there is no one standard size for human height, and in RL there are 7ft tall women and 8ft tall men men... just like there are 3 and 4ft tall men and women...  the only fail here is your failure to change the settings to what suits you, as everyone else has already figured out is quite easy

i dont even know why me or you or anyone is responding to me anyhow.. owr responses means nuthing and no matter what we say here on these forum will not effect second life LoL

Void Singer wrote:

SL != RL

there is no one standard size for human height, and in RL there are 7ft tall women and 8ft tall men men... just like there are 3 and 4ft tall men and women...  the only fail here is your failure to change the settings to what suits you, as everyone else has already figured out is quite easy

• 4 months later...

Lonewolf - this has probably been mentioned before, but your 1ft prim is actually 1' 3", your 7ft door is actually 9' 2" tall; your 'metres/feet' ruler is actually a centimetres/inches ruler stretched so the inches look like metres & gives the impression the centimetres are feet. [even if the inches were 'metres', the ruler shows 4.25 of them yet the prim height is 4.0, so the scale still would be wrong]

Your sense of scale & proportion is, based on this evidence, sadly lacking & your 'proof' is proof of nothing at all.

Norton Burns wrote:

Lonewolf - this has probably been mentioned before, but your 1ft prim is actually 1' 3", your 7ft door is actually 9' 2" tall; your 'metres/feet' ruler is actually a centimetres/inches ruler stretched so the inches look like metres & gives the impression the centimetres are feet. [even if the inches were 'metres', the ruler shows 4.25 of them yet the prim height is 4.0, so the scale still would be wrong]

Your sense of scale & proportion is, based on this evidence, sadly lacking & your 'proof' is proof of nothing at all.

you have no proof of that =) no 1 has any proof that shows "what i say being wrong" all they do is show me links as to what other players says but i show players links of proof ;) 

also i think your just trolling me, if you had looked at "all my films" then you wold naver never told me that my ruler is of inches bc in my videos i have told evryone 19000 times.. that the SL grid was made out to be in inches and never feet, thats how LL 1st built the SL-grid was from only inches and it was "never" ment to be thout of as feet untill someone came up tot hem in 2004 and asked them to make a hight detecor so what els culd Lidnen lab do but to use a ruler in inches and call 1mm a foot ;) "all bc the sl grid was made from inches" and in reality 2.0 in SL is only 2 inches

i told you and evryoen els that 1000 times so why did u come up and tell me my ruler if of inches when i told u step by step "take a 12 inch ruler or 4 inch ruler "inch" and place the 4 inch ruler on a 4 meter prim and then look to your left at the mm's then you will see that it "all matches up" and dose not miss 1 single #.. ;) even the inches matches the meters on the grid.. and how do i knwo thsie? bc i took a prim and rezed it beside the ruler as 1 metter and it matched the 1 inch ont he ruler and the Linden made door matched thr 7mm on the ruler when in real life a door is 6.8 ""not 9 feet tall" ^_^ so next tiem read and watch all my videos befor telling me what i allredy told you all about 1 SL meter being "1 real life inch".. and if you take a avatar out of SL and place it on ur deks top it will be the size of a ink pen! "o and if i was wrong then the 1 inch and 2 inch and 3 inch and 4 inch wold have never matched a 1 meter or 2 meter or 3 meter or 4 meter prim" and the "7mm" ont he ruler wold ahve never lined up w/ the top of a LInden "scaled" door ;3 the builders tape meshurer was made by a linden and can be found at the YadNi s Junkyard - Newbie Paradi, Leda (210, 27, 54) 

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_height_and_width_of_an_average_door

Lonewolf Lightworker wrote

also i think your just trolling me,

Let's face it folks, all Lonewolf is going to do is accuse anyone who disagrees with him of trolling.  This despite the fact he has been shown over and over the errors in his analysis both here and in his recent thread that was deleted, as well as other places.  He has done this to others, as well as me in the deleted thread.

Lonewolf, while I may applaud your crusade to do something about pedophilia, your continued refusal to accept the fact that your analysis is wrong, and your blind refusal to see these facts, are only serving to make you look like a fool.

If you have proof that sexual age play is occurring in Second Life, present your proof to Linden Lab and they will act upon it.  But trying to blame others for your inability to find these proofs, again, you are only discrediting yourself.

edited to correct punctuation

This thread reminds me of Don Quixote tilting at windmills. :smileyfrustrated: :smileylol:

("Tilting at windmills" is an English idiom which means attacking imaginary enemies, or fighting unwinnable or futile battles.)

gilling_windmills_1968_home.jpg

Lonewolf, why not accept the facts and end your futile crusade? Whatever you try to prove here will not change anything as your "proofs" are totally misguided. The facts are not arguable. Thanks. :matte-motes-yawn:

i have been in SL long enuff to know that i am right...

2 days ago the person who runs Phoenix came to me and tried to change my mind on what 1foot is only by..

rezzing a object and resizeing that object to a # that "he" calls a foot without ever trying to show me any proof that the # is 1 foot..

and i told him "he dose not have any real background proof that the size he re sized that prim to is 1 foot" LoL 

he never used any meshurments to try and "see" what 1 sl foot is,

all he did was re size a prim and tell me that the prim he resized it to is 1 sl foot lol 

he allso told me that a door in sl is 9 feet tall..

agin i told him he never showd me any proof that a door is 9 feet tall

so he took that "prim" that he resized to what "he" calls 1 foot and stacked it to the size of a door lol..wtf man?

if he never has any background proof that the prim he resized that object to what "he" says is 1 foot then there is no way he can win vs what i say =) bc i used real meshurments to "find" what 1 sl foot is. the same way a Linden told me how.. xD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.