Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lonewolf Lightworker

"Feet" Wrong in Hight detectors, 2.0 meters is 5 foot 1 not 6 foot 6!

Recommended Posts

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Ethos_Erlanger has a lot of known and tested facts about how high a avatar is! all tested and proven accelerate by the top people of Linden Lab! 

I have been arguing for a while to a 3rd party viewer that a newly made test avatar that can be found in advancet > character >character  test > test female is only 5 feet 1, "not 6 foot 6" at 2.0 meters! but they will not agree with me so i have now found 100% proof after going insane from it! and doing some more searching! tada a ruler! =) and the the hight of a real life door! =) and what that link i posted att he top said add it all up look at my picks down below.. have fun!

Fact 1: a average real life Female is 5.0-5.9 feet, "not 6.6 feet"

Fact 2: a real life door its 7 feet tall! "not 10 feet tall"

evryone on youtube even says it's  7ft! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FWMVXhqNQ

Fact 3: a real ruler/yard stick seems to match the secondlife grid meter perfectly by 100% without missing 1 single # and the 7 feet tall door

  1. find a printable ruler/yardstick on the internet that has inch's and cm's then import that into Second Life!
  2. Next put a SL grid chart behind it
  3. resize the ruler until the right side of it lines up with the Second life grid meters perfectly!
  4. get a Linden Made Builder's Tape Measure that can be found free at my place in my picks!
  5. click it till it turns into a door then put the door next to the left side of the ruler!
  6. Done! now you have a perfectly alined Hight detector! =) now you can resize the prim blocks to see what size of a block is 1 foot ins econdlife by using these method! ;) FYI.. the 7 on the ruler will now match the door itself! have fun arguing with me after these changes i have now made!

Note: Second Life is smaller then real life! if you take a avatar and put it on your desk it is in fact the size of a real life ink pen! that can be meshrued by a real life ruler! 

Fact:4: 1 "Real Life" inch is 1 "Second Life" meter

Fact 5: 1 "Real Life" cm = 1 "Second Life" Foot =) 

Fact 6: 1 cm = 10 mm

Fact 7: 25.4 mm = 1 inch

Fact 8: 1 mm = 0.0394 inches

"So there for": 1 SL foot = 0.39400 in Secondlife prim Size! i have pic at bottem! =)

 

Done: then you will have a "100% "right and true" avatar hight detector" 

More: even the person who made these next Link did the same thing!
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Ethos_Erlanger

                                                     doorsize.gif.gif
Snapshot proof_002.png
Snapshot proof_003.png
sl grid #2.jpg
new prim size thingy foot thing thing...jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all items that you see in the movies and photos is now one click away from geting your hands on for 0 L$ just to see if i am lying or cheating in any way by looking at the prim sizes! the 4 inch ruler is on a 4 meter prim ^_^
and now it is posted all over youtube useing 2 videos! ^_^ 1st video is a video of what you see above but 2nd video is a "live video" to show the world that im not cheating in scale ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

 has a lot of known and tested facts about how high a avatar is! all tested and proven accelerate by the top people of Linden Lab! 

All a bunch of made up whatever that has no basis in fact. There is no standard height in SL. The norm has been slowly going down to be closer to real proper anatomy - but its a very slow trend that could be better stated as a growing set of people who use the numbers as what they say and then the rest of SL that just slide it up to max - very little middle ground.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't quite understand what you mean by SL's Viewer's Height Detector.

This is what my appearance editor looks like in V3 -- are you talking about something else?

shape in meters.jpgshape in feet.jpg

ETA -- where on earth are you getting the conversions from in your table?  One metre = 3.28 feet, or so Google Calculator thinks.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait a sec.. o.O i just checked and sl dose have feet in viewer+ ;O so if it has "feet" in it why dose 3rd party viewer that iv been arguing with "name not said" keep saying that avatars are sespto be a foot shorter >.> they even told me in email that linden lab was asked to make all there avatars 1 foot shorter =x these is a vary strange argument 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

wait a sec..
o.O
i just checked and sl dose have feet in viewer+ ;O so if it has "feet" in it why dose 3rd party viewer that iv been arguing with "name not said" keep saying that avatars are sespto be a foot shorter >.> they even told me in email that linden lab was asked to make all there avatars 1 foot shorter =x these is a vary strange argument 

The other ones add a little to the height number to make it closer to the real thing! LL doesn't wangle the numbers yet. I think they want to fix the base number so it doesn't need wangles, but they were afraid to touch it until the new physics dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't waste your time Marianne. This guy is on some kind of crusade against Phoenix, which is clear from the previous ridiculous thread that he started about child avatars, height detection and a strong dose of misinformation about who's running the Phoenix project these days. He's convinced that Phoenix/Firestorm is evil and part of some kind of conspiracy to destroy the grid. He's convinced that the LL viewer is authoritative in all areas (and forgets that all TPVs are based on LL code). He's created a strawman and even though you, Immy and others have knocked it down repeatedly, he insists on propping it up with these silly arguments yet again.

My advice (which I'm now going to take myself) is to ignore any thread created by this joker.

Welcome to my ignore list Wasted, err, I mean Lonewolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's try to figure this out.  Here's the screenshots for one of my alts:

v3 appearance.jpgv3 appearance2.jpgphoenix appearance.jpg

So the metric measurements differ by 20cm between V3 and Phoenix, which is 7.87 inches.  We need to convert V3's Imperial measurement to feet and inches; 6.28 feet is 75.36 inches, which is 6 feet, 3.36 inches.   So the difference between the two viewers' imperial versions is 6.64 inches, not 7.87, which is a bit odd.

2.11 meters is 83.07 inches, which Google calculator thinks  is 6' 11.07", not 6'10" so Phoenix's conversion is just over an inch out.  V3's 1.91 meters is 75.19 inches, which is 6.266 feet, not 6.28, so they're both a bit out in their own conversions from metres to feet,  but not hugely so.

Where are you getting "a 5 foot tall avatar is 6.6 foot tall.. and 4 foot tall = 5 foot LoL" from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"3rd party viewer's "editer keeps saying 2.0 = 6 foot 6 where linden labs old v 2.1 viewer said my avatar was 5.4 "he sais linden labs veiwer 2.1 kept on mesurieng "ony to the eyebrowse and that its a foot fromt he eye browse to the top of your head LoL but even after "todays modofied viewer 2.8" says my avatar is 5.9 "after lidnen lab fixed its errors" he still says that hes "foot from hes eye browse" is right o.O how do i deal w/ someone like him =x guss ills end him a pic from his Viewer and Linden Lab's v 2.1 and LL's viewer 2.8 to show him it was allready fixt! or what do you think? lol

pic for subject a1.jpgUntitled.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

 has a lot of known and tested facts about how high a avatar is! all tested and proven accelerate by the top people of Linden Lab! 

(It says a door in real life is 6 foot 8 and one in Second Life is 3.3 metters so there for all newly made 2.0 avatars are in fact 5 foot 1 please read the link and look at the chart thanks) a lot of 3rd party Viewers says that 2.0 meters are all different in feet and leads a big argument between me and one 3rd party viewer that claims 2.0 is 6 foot 6 so i kindly ask Linden Lab to add "feet" to there Viewers hight detector bc atm all it reads is "meters" TY =) i have added and re added these up and came to the fact that these char is right =O 
 

2 meters are indeed 6.6 feet (rounded up from 6.56). Which is not the same as 6 feet 6, mind you. 6.6 is a decimal feet value, which roughly equals 6 feet 7 inches. (Btw, when will you guys finally switch to the metric system? It makes things so much easier). If you don't believe me, google for "2 m to ft".

 


Meters
         
Feet                      
3.3--------------
6.8
3.2--------------
6.7
3.1--------------
6.5
3.0--------------
6.4                                  
2.9--------------
6.2
2.8--------------
6.1
2.7--------------
5.11
2.6--------------
5.10
2.5--------------
5.8
2.4--------------
5.7
2.3--------------
5.5
2.2--------------
5.4
2.1--------------
5.2
2.0--------------
5.1
1.9--------------
4.11
1.8--------------
3.9
1.7--------------
3.8
1.6--------------
3.6
1.5--------------
3.5
1.4--------------
3.3
1.3--------------
3.2
1.2--------------
3.0
1.1--------------
2.11                                     



Your list is all wrong, no matter how much you "added and re added". These are the correct numbers:

 

Meters Feet (decimal) Feet & Inches
3.3 10.8 10'10"
3.2 10.5 10'6"
3.1 10.2 10'2"
3.0 9.8 9'10"
2.9 9.5 9'6"
2.8 9.2 9'2"
2.7 8.9 8'10"
2.6 8.5 8'6"
2.5 8.2 8'2"
2.4 7.9 7'10"
2.3 7.5 7'7"
2.2 7.2 7'3"
2.1 6.9 6'11"
2.0 6.6 6'7"
1.9 6.2 6'3"
1.8 5.9 5'11"
1.7 5.6 5'7"
1.6 5.2 5'3"
1.5 4.9 4'11"
1.4 4.6 4'7"
1.3 4.3 4'3"
1.2 3.9 3'11"
1.1 3.6 3'7"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, if you have trouble doing the math, I suggest that you do some reading. 2 meter is a very tall and unusual body size even for men. Most models, who are a lot taller than your average woman, are between 1.75 and 1.8 m tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wrong totley wrong.. 10x10 = 10 metters not 3.3 metters you forgot to show me a pic of the secondlife grid + a messureing tape and some blocks =)why els do you tink LInden Lab calls 1.0 = 1m =) you did not take builders class! Snapshot 101001010_001.png.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the blocks shown are = feet and the grid is a 100% xopy of the grid when you rez a prim and click "show grid" you can see the grid.. even in tourley Linden's "how to vidio's he says 1.0 is 1 meter look him up on youtube!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

the blocks shown are = feet

No, they're not. Can't be. They look more like 0.4 or 0.45 m in height, assuming that your grid is correctly scaled. Make the cubes 0.3 m high and they´ll roughly equal one foot. Again, ask Google if you don't believe me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when lidnen lab says 1.0 they are speaking in metters by a ruler/ tape messuror made by a real linden! and the grid itself allso fits that ruler 

the ruler is painted onto the "grid itself" i have been building for 6 years btw.. with tiny prims, normal prims and mega prims! 

and when linden Lab made the hight detector they are conpareing the average real life hight of a real life person to the average newly newbie made avatar hight to give it a more "real feeling of real life" if you take a avatar out of secondlife and re it on your table in real life it is only 2 metters tall just like the grid says! "when its 2.0 metters tall" 1,5 metters = 1 metter and 5 cm.. even the grid itself says so! .

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem isn't that any LL-provided avatar height reading in the Viewer is "right" or "wrong". Most Residents don't even use Viewer 2.0, and have never seen that height indicator.

Avatars are the size they are in SL for three reasons:

1: The scripted function to return avatar height returns the height of their eyes, not the top of their head.

2: The follow camera is above and behind the avatar, and this causes perspective issues that makes it feel like a properly-scaled avatar is "too small". That camera position also means that if you build a room with accurate 1:1 scale 8 foot ceiling heights, the follow camera is either in the ceiling, or scooting along the carpet like a mouse on the floor above the avatar.

3: The default "Ruth" male and female avatars are both near the top end of normal Human growth, if measured accurately against a prim. But the slider settings allow the avatar to get much taller than normal, and not terribly much smaller than a ten year old child.

Changing the height reading reported in any one Viewer will do very little to change the height problems that exist in SL, because everywhere you go, existing structures and furnishings are all overly large, to compensate for the three factors I just listed.

 

Your friend is essentially advocating building at a scale of 1.65:1, or increasing the size of any "to scale" build in SL to 1.65 times as large as everything actually measures.

I find that somewhat excessive, myself. 1.25:1 is quite sufficient to seem to be normally proportioned in relation to the avarage avatar in SL, and to the restrictions imposed by the intersctions of the follow cam and celing heights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lonewolf Lightworker wrote:

when lidnen lab says 1.0 they are speaking in metters by a ruler/ tape messuror made by a real linden! and the grid itself allso fits that ruler 

the ruler is painted onto the "grid itself" i have been building for 6 years btw.. with tiny prims, normal prims and mega prims! 

and when linden Lab made the hight detector they are conpareing the average real life hight of a real life person to the average newly newbie made avatar hight to give it a more "real feeling of real life" if you take a avatar out of secondlife and re it on your table in real life it is only 2 metters tall just like the grid says! "when its 2.0 metters tall" 1,5 metters = 1 metter and 5 cm.. even the grid itself says so!

Yeah, I get it. The nearest parking lot! A photon is burly. Indeed, a completely optimal jersey cow indicates that another wedding dress for a tripod barely sells some particle accelerator for a warranty. Does nobody think of the squid behind the recliner? If a salty sprout makes a truce with a feverish chess board, the plaintiff meditates in the shadow of his greedily twisted garbage can. Rejoice, for the fundraiser sweeps the flat on the floor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

1 meter = 1 meter. (
^_^
)

1 foot = 1 foot. (
^_^
)

. (
^_^
)

A default rezzed box is 0.50 x 0.50 x 0.50 meters. (
^_^
)

Agent height, eye height, and the shape editor height all reference something that's NOT the avatar's overall height. (
^_^
)

Any questions? =^-^=

 

wrong wrong wrong.jpgdoorsize.gif

FYI we are talking about "avatar hight" and "avatar hight" was made basted on the fact of a real person =) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know you're limited to 100 images on these forums .

Just saying...

 

I can't tell if I agree or disagree with the OPer because I can't understand what (s)he's saying.

 

BUT, it means NOTHING to rely on 'a real linden did or made this or that'.

The Lindens have no comprehension of human anatomy and proportion. No concept of scaling and perspective. No concept of architectural design and landscaping. They's inconsistent across the board on all of these factors and have been so since day one.

The beautiful builds you see are made by moles - who unlike the lindens understand design asthetics. BUT still little comprehension of scale and perspective - especially as it relates to how what they build interracts with 'human anatomy / scale.' And they are only as consisten as any one given one of them working on two different projects. Each is her own microcosm of internal standards - though they all get access to the same mole-only textures and prefab objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...