Sign in to follow this  
Tristan Greymoon

Best SL Viewer To This Date! / Poll

I was wondering out of these viewers below which one have you guys enjoyed the most using. I my self would have to go with either Firestorm or Kirstens. I did how ever like Emerald when that was still around, but unfortunately it's not anymore. I am still getting use to the new V2 interface/GUI, it's kind of a hard transition in my opinion, but I am working it out in the end :). What also has come to my attention is that Kirsten's viewer is a lot more stable from a performance aspect than the Pheonix viewer. Whether it's just the interface of Kirstens or that it's the V2 interface, I am getting higher FPS in Kirstens thus far.

V1 Viewers: Pheonix

V2 Viewers: Imprudence, Firestorm, Emergence, Singularity, Kirstens

List the viewer you like and the reason why you like it over the other viewers for Second Life.

I am going to have to go with Firestorm. The picture is clearer than any of the other viewers I have tried and it's great to come into a new place looking like a person and not a cloud.

SoXtreme

Firestorm. Awesome graphics (although shadows are not available to me yet). I like the interface: a mix of V1 and V2. And, it never crashes.

it's got to be phoenix/firestorm both stable viewers for me lots of features you'd never get in an LL viewer whats perfect about firestorm is if you abhor V2's interface you can customize it to look like as V1 as the dev's have made possible
i used to use imprudence for other grids as it was a reccommended viewer but the problem with that was it always crashed to desktop for me 30seconds after logging in

At the moment there is just one possibility:

the original viewer 2.8..... from Linden Lab. It's the only viewer in the moment which includes all features except mesh, which is not included to the whole grid.

Firestorm is great but still in beta and all new features are not in it yet. I think they will need much time to program everything to include all new features LL inserted in last time for this great viewer too. Or am I wrong again Valerie? LOL

Kirstens is too buggy and slow for me, i tried it but, sorry to say, it doesn't work right for me.

All the viewers, which are based on V1 are past for me, I can't see this old UI any longer and the new features are not fully included. For excample in Phoenix you can't use all media types like tv-sets.

I use the latest build of the Development Viewer (Snowstorm) because it's shadows and mesh enabled. #2 would be KirstenLee's viewer which is also mesh enabled. I also have Firestorm on my machine and I use it for hosting events but not when out exploring the grid because the graphics are sub-par since it's built on old code without shadows or mesh.

Project Windlight Region Viewer 2.7.6 , still the fastest and most stable Viewer for me!

2.8.3 might be an option, but i still have 1 or 2 issues with it. 

Firestorm is too unstable for me and Kirstens, well lets just say my compy isn't good enough :)

No V1 :)

With me it's a toss up between viewers.

I like the "simplicity" of the official viewer, as I'm just an average user and have no plans (at least short term) of building things and whatnot.

However when I use the official viewer I seem to get random disconnects from my wireless connection.

I've tried Phoenix Viewer and it was ok definitely not for average users, the random disconnects where fewer with it.

I'm currently using Singularity Viewer it's much like Phoenix in it's complexities but aside from a little lag when areas are loading I no longer get disconnected from my wireless.

I like the beta viewers most because I like to be on the cutting edge of what's new in SL tech. I always looked forward to viewer 2 when I first heard about it, and admitedly there was a bit of a UI shock for the first week or so, but ever since then it feels like home.

I don't like the other viewers because to me they all feel a bit clunky, and they lag behind in tech. It almost feels like they just took viewer 2 and shoved a bunch of random stuff down it's throat to make everyone happy. Meh. Just not my thing I guess. I would prefer though if LL would at least keep an eye on thrid party viewers and sort of funnel all the best ideas into the main viewer in a clean and polished way. Sort of like what Blizzard does with WoW addons.

Then again who cares about reality? Viewers are more like a religion these days anyway.

Best? the one that does what I need it to. =P

I tend to use Phoenix as the V1 interface alternative, and will probably bump up to Firestorm shortly.... because they have features that make land management much nicer, which is so underdone in the official versions. extra build and scripting tools also help.

I keep meaning to try Singularity, I hear it's quite stable, and feature rich as well

Of the 1.XX viewers I think Phoenix has by far outdistanced the competition.

For the 2.XX viewers as of this moment I like Kirsten's the best. It has a very polished feel and look. However I do believe when Firestorm is finished it will be my favorite as it will almost inevitably incorporate temporary downloads and other power features from Phoenix that make my Second Life so much easier.