Second Life 2.8.3 (238392) Can't see avatars with this upgrade

Tove Stromfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just upgraded to the latest official release of V2 and so far have found myself to be invisible save for major attachments like a skirt and hair and the same to be true for others as well. The main avatar mesh and it's baked textures do not rez for me. The same is true of alpha textured items like tree leaves and the branches they are on. I can see the main trunks of the trees but nothing of the branches save for a VERY faint outline of leaves and extended branches. I'd also noted that some things like checking plain text for local chat is not saving in preferences. Does anyone know why this may be happening and what to do about it to return to normal aside from uninstalling and returning to the just prior version?

A "Known issues" section exists in the Release Notes page which may have related information about rendering / alpha textures:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/2.8.3#Known_Issues

Also see https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2181 (a bugfix exists for this issue, currently in development viewer only).

With regard to chat text settings, does it revert everytime you restart the viewer? If yes it looks like a separate issue than https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1268

Thank you everyone for the help. It seems the new rendering of bump map and shiny was the culprit. I did reset to default as the easiest thing to do to try once logging in again and it brought back my av and oddly enough also brought back the tree branches and leaves. Then I tried an old trick of mine to find a culprit and started to turn thijngs in my graphics preferences back on one at a time. Just so happens that bump map and shiny was the first thing I tried and there you go. Several times I tested it and each time if turned on my avatar disappeared. Went back and forth to other settings and none of them affected my visuals or rendering. Oh well.... getting a new PC soon hope that it won't have such issues as this old and I DO mean old wooden machine does. Still nothing helps to keep my settings on plain chat tho. Still going to try out V3 beta later :) I am excited about what I've been hearing.

While with viewer 2.8.1 (second 2.8.1) I used to crash after few minutes of bike riding,

now with 2.8.3 I crash either while simply walking, or even just after landing in a new sim after a TP.

The next one will even not start? Just to know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.