A question regarding male avatar body hair products.

Quallain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is sort of a long winded question so I apologize.  I also apologize if the question topic makes anyone a teensy nauseated.  8-)

I bought a body hair package for my male avatar.  The quality is quite good and I was pleased with how it looks.  But now I'm running into some issues that I didn't notice at first.  The look of body hair is apparently achieved by using some generally unused clothing layers and the tattoo layer.  According to the vendor's info, arm hair uses the glove layer, leg hair uses the sock layer, chest hair uses the undershirt layer and also used is the underpants layer.  The package also provides a tattoo layer that covers the entire body.  I've recently noticed that it doesn't work to just wear the arm hair, or the leg hair.  Wearing the arm hair or leg hair doesn't change the avatar at all.  But if I wear the chest hair, then the chest hair and the arm hair shows up.  And if I wear the hair for the underpants layer, that hair and the leg hair shows up.  Note that in both of these cases, it's not necessary to actually wear the arm hair or leg hair pieces for the arm and leg hair to show, you only have to wear the chest or underpants pieces.  And if this is indeed the way these underclothing layers work, what's the point of including the leg hair and arm hair pieces at all?  I've done a fair amount of testing.  The behavior is the same regardless of which viewer I use.  The behavior is the same with an older and newer avatar.  And it's the same while wearing only basic avatar elements: the shape, the skin, the eyes, and the body hair pieces in various configurations.  I've also tested using more than one "hair package" and they work the same way.  I also tested this using a demo package from the same vendor.  I wore the arm piece from the demo box on the basic avatar and the arm hair did not show, however the normal "demo" wording showed up just fine on the avatars hands.  The reason this matters to me at all is that I've found I prefer the leg hair piece from one package, and the other three pieces from a different package.  The creator of the product is evidently on vacation for most of August and can't be reached.  So am I ignorant about something fundamental regarding avatar clothing layers?  Is there a preference option I need to turn on or off?  Have I somehow broken my avatar?  Or is the product simply not put together correctly?  Thanks very much in advance for taking the time to answer.  Cheers.

Edit1: in all cases when the avatar is wearing the arm or the leg pieces, and those pieces aren't showing up on the avatar, the pieces do show up in the list of items under the "wearing" tab of the "My Appearance" tab.  Additionally, in the inventory, in the outfits folder, and in the particular outfit in question, the arm or leg pieces also show up as being "worn", even though they don't show on the avatar itself.

Edit2: I'd like to emphasize that the products themselves look excellent.  I think the creator did a good job of making them.  I'm just having this one issue.

3 answers to this question

My only thought is that the arm and leg only pieces (gloves and socks) may have been made with a temporary texture and not replaced with the actual texture before packaging. Also, the database somehow in its "magicness" can revert to old (temp) textures. I have no clue HOW this happens, but know it does and sometimes repeatedly. So it could be the designers mistake, or it could be a database issue.

I do a lot of fashion blogging and see this often in items. I have also had the "database hiccup" thing happen on one item I sell THREE TIMES over many months. And it wasn't the exact problem each time but it was on the same prim.

The reason why the arms show up on when you wear the chest is most likely that the designer included BOTH the chest hair and the arm textures (all part of the upper body avatar template) when putting that together. Same with the underwear layer showing the "socks" portion. Typically with tattoos (and in your case body hair), designer give you options of "just" the socks or gloves -- especially for those who don't have multiple tattoo layers.

So while there is an issue, I don't see any way you can have it rectified until the designer returns. Then, I would send them a notecard explaining the issue and ask them to test. I HAVE had issues in the past with certain viewers not seeing a texture, but since you have tried many viewers it is most likely it is a texture that didn't get replaced (or the database thing) that is causing the issue. It isn't a difficult fix and I imagine the designer will be happy to fix it for you and anyone else that has the same product.

What I don't understand is how this would happen with  more than one hair release in exactly the same way. It could be, though, if they were in the same time period, that they have the same issue -- a faulty "production line" thing. It gets VERY boring making textures into different layers of garments. Easy to forget now and then. It is always amazing the things that can go wrong.

Good luck. Patience will no doubt be the key.

Editing to comment on Venus's reply as while I think I "can" reply to her, I have no idea how - LOL. A tattoo layer can completely cover the body yes OR it can be as tiny as a mole on a face and still be a tattoo layer. Many designers pack their tattoos or makeups (on tattoo layers) so that there are tons (and I do mean tons) of options all on tattoo layers. Just so folks know.

With the newer viewers you can actually "stack" tattoo layers to make your own personalized look. You can also wear more than one undershirt etc. -- all by using the "add" feature.

• Like 1

The best answer will come from the creator.  My understanding of the same clothing and tatt layers for clothes (i.e, not hair), is that the tatt layer will cover your entire body.  The separate items you mention should just cover the bits they were intended to cover.

You mention using different viewers.  I hope those viewers' cache files are in separate folders.  If not, this could be one reason you see hair when you should not see hair.

It should be easy enough to get into the viewer of your choice and open the Worn Items tab of your inventory and see exactly what layers you are wearing.

• Like 1

I tried one of the demos and had the same outcome as you described. One thing you can do is...to check if the gloves and socks have sufficient length to cover your whole arms/legs cause it says modifiable. Go to appearance >> edit gloves/socks and check what the slider is set at. Also you can check there how the texture for those parts looks like.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.