can child avies be on adult sims

Poison Optera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

I recall that being asked before.  As I recall the answer from the lab was No, Heck No, and Not in a Million Years. 

From a gaming standpoint, WHY if you are RPing an innocent young waif, would you need to be in an area where quite non-innocent things are present?  If you want to play a child, play in child-friendly and child-safe areas.  If you want to be in an adult sim, put on an adult avatar.  Even apart from the rules is the matter of good RPing.  And a child avatar in an area where sexual activity is permitted and expected is not playing a child very well.

@Shockwave,

On a factual basis, that is not Linden Lab's Policy. Child avatars can go anywhere in Second Life including adult sims (subject to individual sim owners allowing entry of course) provided Linden Lab's policy on disallowing child ageplay is adhered to and it applies globally across Second Life.

See https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ It's a "working draft" but it pretty much restates what the position's always been -- yes, child avatars are allowed on Adult sims but they should keep well away from the actual adult content.  

That having been said, a lot of Adult sims and parcels do ban child avatars anyway.

@Nyll  What I understood their official policy to be is "Yes, but be sure you don't go anywhere where sexual activity may occur."  Which was immediately followed by comments of "And since sexual activity is assumed to take place anywhere in Adult, it is your risk to take if you want to do so."  Mayhaps I am mishearing, but at the very least it is clear that while the official party line is "AOkay", there WILL be some Lindens and some busybodies who are going to take a "No Child Avatars in Adult" line whether it's company policy or not.  And attempting to get UNbanned after such a thing is going to be difficult, even if you "officially" did absolutely nothing wrong. 

There are the rules and then there is application of rules.  And the application in SL has always been and will always be spotty, owing as so many Judgement calls depend upon the personal attitudes of either the Linden making them, or the person reporting on them.  So in this case it would be wise to err on the side of caution and simply not get into the situation where you are so close to the cliff's edge that you may slip on a rock and fall to your doom, or you may not.

My personal opinion on avatars has not changed -- they aren't real and real world laws don't apply to a video game.  And call it a platform if you like, SL still has videogame characters doing videogame actions in a videogame world that's no more real than what you see in Grand Theft Auto.  And if child avatars doing something visually repugnant warrants real world authority notification, then so too should all of you who bang your naughties together with vampires be visited by the authorities for committing Necrophilia.  Oh, that's silly, you say?  You are absolutely right!  Charging someone with a real crime for what takes place in a videogame world IS silly, regardless of what silly avatar does what.  And while I understand LL's wanting to stay off the law's radar, do not these same busybody countries also have the same distaste for necrophilia?  Are vampires soon to be forbidden to have sex because the Germans don't cotton to sex with the dead?

Or should I also be able to call the police when someone hacks my WOW account and steals my battle ostrich?  (let's see who watches Big Bang Theory) :)

@ Shockwave

Yes, you are absolutely right, while I merely wished to clarify that they are permitted to access adult areas subject to Linden Lab's Child Avatar Policy and  permission of sim owners, it may be unwise for the reasons you state, people too jumpy on the Abuse button and a lack of knowledge of what is allowed.

Interesting take on vampires! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.