Viewer crashes when I look at detailed models

Kerri Macarthur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is the most annoying problem.

I can upload basic stuff, like 5-10 prim models (mostly cars) with no problems.

But, I have 2 that are realli nice with loads of detail. I forget exectly how many prims now, I think one has an equlv of 800.

But, whenever i try to edit them, or zoom in close, I crash. Instant, client closes kind of crash.

Anyone else having this problem?

If it has an equivalence of 800 and its not too large (a few meters in size), it likely has half a million triangles in the model, so it's no wonder you are crashing.

Give us the specs from your PC (SL viewer > Help Menu > About second life, if you don't know - the second group of lines is your PC, the first group is the server), and the geometry data of your model (bounding box size, and number of triangles/polygons).  If any part of your model has more than 64K vertexes, it will crash the viewer.

I have had the same problem since open mesh testing began on the Beta Test grid.  I made a bug report but as far as I know nothing has been done about it.

My only work around was to go into my viewer's preference and under graphics lowered the mesh detail slider.  This in essence lowered the number of triangles a mesh was being displayed on my screen.  I was then able to right mouse click on my rezzed mesh and select "Edit".  I could do anything I needed to the mesh then.  Well applying textures to different faces became tricky because with so few triangles it was hard to tell exactly what face I was clicking on.

I would try setting my "Mesh Detail" to medium if you have it set at high.  If you still crash then set it to low.

I hope that helps. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.