Looking for a BVH importer for 3ds Max

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Ev1!!!

A while back, I remember some1 was either working on or had found a bvh importer for 3ds Max. If any1 knows where I can get 1, I'd really love to have it. Yeah, It is possible for me to do it a couple of other ways, but motion capture does not seem to like those ways of doing it and I usually need to do alot of clean up work after the conversions. It would be a huge help to just use something a bit simpler. Exporter would be nice too, but not as important as the importer.

Actually, someone did make something for 3ds max(it may have just been the importer, Im not sure, could have been exporter too) and it was posted on the forum here either early 2010 or early 2009, on the old form I think. I had been searching around for one and managed to find the link the guy had put to download it, but I was like 1 month too late, the link was dead.

In any case, bvh for max does exist, so if you are able to get in contact with the guy who made this porter, that would be great. Now that I think of it, I am wondering why I didnt look around for this person's name. Well, I dont have the link, or the guy's name, but if you do find it through a search, please post it.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, I think it was an import/export.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Yes, but you can only import to a max biped, at least in max 8, then you have to go thru a number of other conversion methods to get it to work on any other skeleton. Plus, there is no export to bvh.

Max 8 is obsolete at this point.  Current version is 14 (labeled as 2012).  Most plugins these days dont go back before Max 2009 (v. 11).  One thing that has changed a lot in the last few years (and is still in progress) is that most 3D programs have evolved a lot better import and export to other programs.

Yep, that is why i decided to post here, cause this is where i found the original program for easily creating an SL skeleton and exporting to bvh, but it was a bit quirky and I completely lost the link to get new versions.

@Daniel - Yeah, I'll upgrade when I actually start making money off these meshes. For years tho, there were a number of game engines that you could only use Max 7 or Max 8 to create things for them.

My Mocap system actually does have a exporter to a couple of Max 8 exceptable formats, but it is still a pain in the butt, especially when the mocap program allows you to clean up the mocap. Doing it twice makes you want to pull your hair out, lol.

OH, and basically, I have made thousands of animations in bvh format, that I want to use on other skeletons and formats. So, I'm basically trying to work out a workflow that is exceptable for me. I can use Poser, but I'm not that fond of Poser. The more I'm working with Max the more I like it tho, and I might have a decent workflow figured out.

Well, although I'm close with Max 8 to being able to use the mocaps on just about any skeleton with just a few clicks, it is proving to be a mindbender. It would probably just be smart, if I want to use 3ds Max for this, to upgrade. I'm so close tho.

I really want to get this, as it will help for me to expand the use of my animations. Plus, I will be ready for when we have custom bones in SL. Right now tho, I'm trying to get my mocaps on a rig for another platform.

Hi

I had a workflow going with Lumonix's free Puppetshop plugin (max 8 or higher). You can make custom rigged SL puppets to drop in any max scene and constraints files which let you import BVH or easily export BVH to SL via a quick clean up in BvhHacker.

I was working on a free maxsript 'avyBones.ms' to make a skeleton and auto apply skin and bones, scale then export to DAE as we couldn't find a good set of bones for Max at the start of the public beta. I was adding an auto rigging function and  Abu Nasu's exporter when I had to down tools. I am just getting back from months working away from home with no SL. Another reason I hadn't completed the script was that viewers were changing too fast to keep fixing each time, then the collada scaling and z-heights were suddenly cut from the SL importer which didn't help the mood. I might try again to finish it when mesh has rolled out proper. I thought I had a few unique features but as Wiz Daxter (not related) released a professional SLAV 3ds max which does a tidy job maybe its not needed anymore.

Here are my last rough notes and noobish maxscripts if they are a help to anyone.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.