Second Life on a shared LAN connection (Issues!)

Wolf Shamen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask on, but I did search and couldn't find a Tech Assistance.

Basically, I've been connecting with my husband on a LAN network to SL, but for some reason SL enjoys disconnecting us whenever we do.

For example, if I log in and he teleports me to a new sim, I'll crash 90% of the time. When I try to log back in, he'll crash almost instantly. For the most part, we'll be okay if we stay in that sim afterwards.

Is there any information regarding this issue online, or alternatively can anyone offer some advice? It's extremely frustrating.

if that doesn't work (and it's a good idea to use anyways), make sure that your router and internet cennection can handle the bandwidth... when you first log or change regions there's a spike in traffic as inventory and new content is loaded... which may flood low end connections. if that's what you have then try lowering the bandwidth in preferences.

it should probably go without saying but wireless connections are more prone to this also, even if they can handle the higher bandwidth, doing so makes them more susceptible to interference.

• 4 weeks later...

After much testing and trial/error sessions, this problem is still bugging me. The port change seemed to make it happen less, but whenever my husband and I try to teleport to the same Sim while using a LAN connection one or both of us will crash.

Turning the bandwidth down didn't seem to make a difference.

I might also point out that we're using Phoenix and Firestorm viewers.

viewer shoice shouldn't make a difference... but there is one oddity in those viewers that may or may not help you....

Turn HTTP Get Textures back on..... advanced --> rendering --> HTTP Get textures: enable

assuming that doesn't work (and I'll be surprised if it helps)  then it's either the connection getting flooded, or the server getting confused (although I've run 3 phoenix clients on the same region before without trouble, so I don't think it's the server unless something changed)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.