Viewer 2 crashing on startup.. almost a year now still have to use 3rd parties.

sounds Turner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If you want to use the "intended viewer" (which, I gather, means the SL viewer.......V-2 now) then you have the have the hardware capable of using the viewer you want to use.  The hardware, in this case, is most likely your graphics adapter/card.,  V-2 (the "official" viewer) has all the bells and whistles any viewer might incorporate.  Some TPV's are "easier" on the user's systems.  They do that by, more or less, eliminating some features of the "official" viewer (such as real time shadows).  The more graphics features SL incorporates in the viewer the stronger the graphics adapter/card has to be to use those features.  LL can't require you to have an nVidia GTS 580 card in your machine (that card will show everything V-2 has to offer plus more) but, by the same token if you are using an Intel 945 IGP then you simply cannot use the V-2 viewer with success.

Some computer specs would help a whole bunch here.  *I need to save that so I can copy/paste*.  No one can help you much without some inforamation.

3 answers to this question

If you want to use the "intended viewer" (which, I gather, means the SL viewer.......V-2 now) then you have the have the hardware capable of using the viewer you want to use.  The hardware, in this case, is most likely your graphics adapter/card.,  V-2 (the "official" viewer) has all the bells and whistles any viewer might incorporate.  Some TPV's are "easier" on the user's systems.  They do that by, more or less, eliminating some features of the "official" viewer (such as real time shadows).  The more graphics features SL incorporates in the viewer the stronger the graphics adapter/card has to be to use those features.  LL can't require you to have an nVidia GTS 580 card in your machine (that card will show everything V-2 has to offer plus more) but, by the same token if you are using an Intel 945 IGP then you simply cannot use the V-2 viewer with success.

Some computer specs would help a whole bunch here.  *I need to save that so I can copy/paste*.  No one can help you much without some inforamation.

Oddly enough, realtime shadows were first an Imprudence feature that got accepted by upstream. It should be noted, contrary to popular belief, "higher" graphics settings don't always look better, especially given the performance hit some of them have. It's good to explore the custom options and spend time fine tuning what looks better to you than depending on the vague (and variable in what it does, depending on what hardware was detected!) "low, medium, high, ultra" slider.

Absolutely. But if your video adapter/card can't utililize those features you will have problems if you try to use them. And if your video adapter/card is weak from the start you are subject to crashes and failures. My point was with my post is that if you can't use a viewer of choice (due to a video adapter/card) then you either forgo the viewer of choice to get a video adapter/card that capable of displaying (or working with) the viewer you want to use.

If you purchase an automoblle designed solely for street use on residential streets you are going to be very disappointed when you try to run at freeway speeds with that automobile. 25 mph on a residential street is great.........it ain't worth a crap at 65 mph. You need the hardware capable of doing what you require if it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.