How to Change Sign on Name

JamesKarr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you want to change your username, you cannot.  You can, however, create a display name that will show over your head along with your username.  This is the ONLY way to give yourself another name without creating a new avatar.

Information on creating a display name is here.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Display-names-FAQ/ta-p/700175

JamesKarr wrote:

Please help w/o making new account. 

Thanks

Courtney

The account creation page is really stupid now! Linden Lab made it so "easy, fast and fun" that they even don't state there anymore that one cannot change the User Name. Well, anyway now as there are no family names anymore one really cannot create sensible nice User Name. Only option for new users is to use Display Name if they want to have a better name.

So JamesKarr, we cannot change our User Names. That's our real avatar identity for ever. Your only option is to create a Display Name (I like to call it "Fake Name" because that's what it really is :matte-motes-wink-tongue: But remember, even if you use Display Name, your login User Name is your real indentity.

I made my account back in 2008. I was FORCED to select a random last name, and the first name I wanted was taken, so now i am stuck with this retarded name forever..

I contacted SL over the phone, and they even said "I am sorry we do not change account names unless it is offensive."

REALLY, now... if they want to keep us around, why do they refuse to let us change the avatar name? I am thinking of making an account that has an offensive name, then maybe they will allow me to change it for my other (main) account....

No... instead as a "work-around" they have the ghey display name system, but I STILL get people calling me "Cristal" or "ms. Chesnokov..." I HATE IT D:

Pisses me off, really..

• 2 weeks later...

They do, but it cost 1,000 bucks which I do NOT have to dish out for a last name change. Plus an additional 500/year after that to keep the name.

So... looks like I am stuck with this name.

Also, it appears to be for NEW ACCOUNTS ONLY. That means that this does NOT apply to accounts already created...

IMVU offers screen name / account name changes, and then once changed the old name gets released.

It is also a lot cheaper. It typically costs 20-30 bucks for a name change token.

And if the name was from a deleted account, it becomes a "premium." It costs 100,000+ credits, depending. Which is about 100 bucks if you buy the credits from IMVU directly. A lot less than what SL offers. And mind you, the name change is USED TO CHANGE THE SCREEN NAME ON AN ACTIVE ACCOUNT. This does NOT apply for new usernames/avatars.

I wish ONE DAY Linden Labs would incorporate the ability to change user accounts. And then release them back to the public much like IMVU does.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.