Issue with fur textures?

ArellaMarie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.

I've been playing around with fur creations for the last few days, and I've run into a little problem.

I uploaded a tga file for my fur, with a transparent background to give all the fur prims that fuzzy look. It looks wonderful in low quality, and it gets a little speckly around the edges in medium. But high quality and up... I get a lot of pixels around the edges of the prims.

Example of what I'm talking about: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ladynaiya/customs/furissues.png

I've spent hours scouring the internet for a way to get rid of this, but no luck. I even bought a piece of someone else's fur to try and figure out what they did, but it had the speckles too. Is this something I can fix, or is it just a prim edge + transparentbg texture issue?

EDIT: Oh, and I've also tried to view it in multiple viewers (default s2, Kirstens, and Phoenix), but the issue remains.

I suppose you have already:

...created a black layer (in your graphic editor of choice)  under it all and zoomed right in and checked every layer

...used the select tool on the empty areas and not seen any small areas unselected and checked the masks for same.

...used select with 1 pixel feather to include any stray pixels because that's what it looks like.

Yes, I've done all of that thoroughly, then checked and rechecked. There aren't any stray pixels anywhere in the texture itself. That's what I thought it was when I first saw them, but it wasn't the case.

Also, the little specks are on the edges of the prims that make up the fur, if that makes a difference.

When you apply an alpha texture to a regular prim, you often see borders around the texture even though the outer area of the alpha channel is completely black. The only workaround that I have found is to set the texture repeats to something slightly below one. 0.98 works fine in most cases. I could imagine that you have run into the same problem there.

alpha bug.jpg 

I've had success dodging the outline problem by creating an alpha layer to match my drawn fur texture, then creating a 36 bit TGA from this. It seems to be the most accurate method for drawn textures. If your texture is taken from a photo image, it is a little trickier as you must mask out the fur you want from the background.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.