Asymmetric upper body textures?

Noel Loordes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was intending to make an outfit, that requires me to hide parts of one arm. The obvious solution seemed to be alpha textures, but well... The same texture is used on both arms, same as for feet. Somehow this doesn't seem TOO terribly plausible to me; Is there any way other than ugly looking invis prims to work around that problem?

Nope. The SL template for the upper body's skin and clothing only has one arm, mirrored to both sides. It's a stupid limitation based on the very old Poser figure that LL used to base their avatar mesh on.

Using invisiprims to hide the arm is the only way to hide only one arm. But if rumors are true, upcoming versions of the Viewer won't be supporting Invisiprims, so that idea may not be good either.

That leaves only one option: a mesh avatar upper body, that hides both arms, and replaces the "normal" arm as well. With that, you could do it, but only in Viewer 2.x and later (Viewer 3 and later?), and the hands will be rigid and unchangeable, unless you script the mesh body part of change shape or show/hide multiple parts, or unless you keep the original hand on the normal side visible, and blend it in to the mesh arm.

In short, you're not going to do it with anything short of a full avatar package. You'll never be able to make it so all Viewers will be able to use it on even a fraction of the normal avatars out there.

They are going to kick out invisprims? Oo Sounds quite questionable, as it will render many baught items useless... 

Mesh is not yet an option for me anyway, as I'm using third party viewers. I couldn't live without the local texture and Edit-Window-Math features :D 

Though its good to know, that indeed it is hopeless for now. 

Ceera Murakami wrote:

But if rumors are true, upcoming versions of the Viewer won't be supporting Invisiprims, 

So, any of my decent shoes will be unwearable? Greeeat. 

I wonder if I'm the only one that's been reading the headlines about foreclosures, food stamps, and unemployment?

You can work around it, at least for some shoes.

- If the invisi is attached to the foot and the shoe to lower leg, you can just delete the invisi and make an alpha layer. It is already made many free ones, from small pumps to tigh-high boots. One pack of textures for DIY alpha masks is located in the Forum Cartel Hangout, another one is sold for 10L on the Marketplace.

- If the shoe has a blue menu where you can pick the individual prim, shrink only the invisiprim as much as possible and make an alpha layer. 

- If the shoe is modify, you can edit off the invisiprim and make an alpha layer. It is really easy, even I can do it....

This tutorial shows what you can do if no one of the already made alpha textures is right for your shoes. You can scroll down to the bottom if you use premade alpha textures. http://www.sasypants.com/alpha-tutorial/4005/ 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.