Operating Locally, Not Online

jaysprout

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to run - at least certain - things locally without being online? For example,

• building objects without having to be online
  • taking snapshots
  • recording machinima

Is it possible to download things like avatars, shapes, skins, objects, etc. - everything in one's inventory to use and see in a viewer locally ... it would certainly help with lag and stuff for building, creating and recording.

non of that is possible on the SL platform but.... on OS grid you can host your own sim on your computer if i remember right you can set it for public access connected to their grid as long as you can host it, it should allow you to make a local sim that works offline not connected to the grid you will need a viewer capable of exporting content so you can import in to SL

Edit: you won't be ale to access your SL inventory but you can export any of your own creations from SL in to your hosted sim

You can setup a sim which is not connected to the SL grid in anyways with the opensimulator software (http://opensimulator.org) or with the Aurora Project (http://aurora-sim.org/). In both cases you won't get a download - install - "ready to work" experience though as you get an empty space - and I mean empty! You have to create next to everything yourself. While that's ok for building, you might not like your "Ruth" appearance doing machinima ;-) And unfortunatly you can't simply buy some cool things from market place or any other source! You are mostly on your own...

That said, you can always find a lot of scripts, textures and even complex objects in the internet. So depending on your goals, you might come along with those sources. Best of luck from my side

People have given you the basic answer, Second Life is only for online. There is no offline version. Theoretically, I suppose one could change a viewer to work from the cache as browsers can. Since the viewer is mostly open source you could make a viewer that works offline.

OpenSim allows a mix of 100% local, mixed local and online and assets online with sim hosted locally with online access. I have 9 regions in OSGrid a donation funded grid. I host them on my workstation.

In OpenSim one can build objects, say a house, and export them. You are restricted to things and textures that you which are full permissions. You can then import those things into SL. TPV's have more import and export options than the main SL Viewers. Many of the same resources are available on OpenSim and SL grids. If you carefully select textures you can reduce your upload costs.

Also, sculpties, mesh, and clothes can be made offline for all grids. You can then upload them to the Beta or Preview grid (ADITI) for free and test them. To get them on the main grid you have upload them again and pay the upload fees.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4636 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.