User Single Names, Display Names & Customer Service

Mickey Vandeverre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's a great article on the challenges of the single user name with "resident" and the use of the display names.

by Avril Korman at Search Engine Watch  http://bit.ly/oD5UAO

there is a Jira link included, if you want to see comments on the challenges, and it's rather lengthy.

Maybe I just can't get hip to a simple system on this...but it adds a bit of a dimension when looking people's names up for customer service.  Imagine that as the sign-ups increase, it will become more difficult as folks will be using more #s in their names.

And Darrius mentioned a flaw that I had not thought of....when delivering products as gifts.

Non-merchant related:  it just seems like a really limiting concept for people and their unique virtual world "identity."  (actually, that is merchant related as well)

First I have to admit I am not using V2, so this may be part of my problem but.....

On my transaction list for sales all I see is the display name.  A person with only a first name as their display name.  ( for example Suzy.)  So I need to return Suzy her money because it looks like she bought the item twice by mistake, but there is no way for me to know what Suzy this is as it doesnt show me her real avi name.  There are hundreds of Suzy's.   Why doesnt LL show the real avatar name for sales transactions?  So other than waiting for her to contact me I have no way of returning her money.

Great article, thanks for the link. That's exactly what many residents have predicted, and the proposed solution (two selectable names instead of one) is exactly what many of us have suggested before single user names were implemented. I wish the Lab would start listening to its customers at some point. Unlike many Lindens, we use SL on a daily basis and know from own experience what new residents would like to see :)

Boaz Sands wrote:

well sheesh , why dont they put Suzy resident on that transaction then ?  Thanks though for the answer
:)

Because the official viewer no longer adds the "Resident" part. Alas, few people use the official viewer (which is LL's own doing). In order to make the Marketplace fail safe, it should be possible to search for both single user names and user name + Resident combos, and display names should be listed as well. 

Excellant point Boaz. 

Display Names are creating problems for SL users. Avril's article is very good . Enough so that ask my blog readers to read it and visit the JIRA and click WATCH, not just vote. The Lindens do not take VOTE seriously. WATCH carries much more weight with the Lindens.

The article is well worth the time to read.

The merchange problem is not even considered. It is another aspect of the name confusion that DN's cause.

Please click WATCH on the JIRA.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Maybe I just can't get hip to a simple system on this...but it adds a bit of a dimension when looking people's names up for customer service.  Imagine that as the sign-ups increase, it will become more difficult as folks will be using more #s in their names.

As a scripter I've been against the whole new name system from the start for so many practical reasons that many others have detailed.

For customer service I made this little thing that helps a lot - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ArtiZan-Avatar-Finder-looks-up-UUID-key-gives-profile-link-and-online-status/1472472

Just type /6 "name" (works with new single names too but not display names) and it gives you their online status and a profile link in chat so you can IM easily. Saves me a ton of time every day - I even use it for people in my Friends List cos it's faster (but then I'm a command line kinda gal).

Call it self-promotion if you want - but it's useful and so cheap it hardly matters to me if it sells or not. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.