I dont have a feeling for polygons and what is to much and what is ok..

Miyo Darcy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phong shading  is named after the graphcs researcher who first came up with it in 1973.  It can also be thought of as "interpolated normals".  The "normal" is the direction perpendicular to a polygon surface.  The angle between the normal and the light source (sun or local lights) determines what color to make a pixel from lighting and shadows, and whether the specular (mirror-like) highlight will be seen.  So Phong shading treats the normal as gradually changing from the center of the polygon, to the center of the next polygon.  That gives a gradually changing  color.  Flat shading (hard edges) treats the normal as being the same across the entire polygon, and changing abruptly at the edge.  So that gives a sharp change in color.  That requires two normal directions to be tracked at the edge, one for each polygon that meets there.

At the moment I tested lots of differend ways to build stairs, rails and so. I must say when I started this thread here, I had 10.000 polys or so. Now I get it to make similar or same objects with just 1000 polys. I think that is my first success when we talk about poly reducing. So here I am happy and again and again a great thanks to you all for discussing that with me. :)

But now there is another problem I need some input.. or at least an idea what the heck is wrong with my object. Its all about phisycs now.

blockedphys.jpg

As you can see... I made another version of a spiral staircase and had sucess to upload it to the beta grid. The main problem here is, nevermind which kind of physics I use.... I cant go up... I cant even enter the first stair. Physicaly it looks like the round stairrails act like a closed or solid cylinder. In fact I cant enter all the first stairs. I know the rail is the problem as I checked something out. I moved the rail for test reasons 5 meters up... and see there? I can go up all the stairs!

For test reasons I checked all kind of physics upload methods. low.. medium.. high... also with collada modell as physics. The problem is still there. Why does second life see my rails as a solid closed cylinder? I cant even see that in physic preview while upload. When I for example choose my modell as physics.. or the high physics.. in the preview window it looks like everything is calculated right (yellow exactly on the mesh).

I now had hours of headache and I really didnt find a solution.Anybody knows whats wrong here?

The rails are made out of one helix spline and one square spline which are a childobject of an sweepnurbs (This is the way how you can make those rails in C4d). Later i made the object editable in c4d, which means it is not nurbs anymore. It is an poly object.

Hope someone has an idea.

EDIT:

Looks like I found the solution here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Mesh-Building-problem-invisible-obstruction/td-p/1026179

Ah yes, the old convex hull thingy, ive said it a million times lol, why oh why is the default physics always a convex hull, it should automatically default to 'Prim' if you have nominated a physics shape imo.

I've no idea how this is going to work when people use faux rezzers and the such, its going to be a pain to have to explain to everyone who buys your products that they need to manually change the physics shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.