Sign in to follow this  
Luxz Blessed

Is there Anyway To Stop Floating Text From Going Through The Walls

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i'm not aloud having  hover text in my shop because  it  goes through  other peoples shop wall, is there anyway to stop it from going through the wall...becausei have a tip jar/orb and i wanted to have it up , but it has text, if i get rid of the text then no one will know its a tip thingy unless i import a texture and add a  sign next to it , but i dont feel like wasting 10L and  adding a prim to my shop , i have a limitation on how many prims i can use..i dont want to waste it on a sign. :/

anyone have any ideas?

this is the script im using:

integer giSum;
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetClickAction(CLICK_ACTION_PAY);
        llSetPayPrice(5, [10,50,100]);
        llSetText("Orb - click me to donate!\nSo far, we have collected 0 L$", <1, 0, 0>, 1.0);

}

money(key id, integer amount)
    {
        llInstantMessage(id, "Thanks for the tip, Brightest Blessings!" );
                giSum += amount;
                llSetText("Orb - click me to donate!\nSo far, we have collected " + (string)giSum + " L$", <1, 0, 0>, 1.0);

I know of only two solutions... put it farther from the wall or put an invisiprim behind it.

ETA: I just tried the old invisiprim trick and it doesn't work any more.  Some update must have killed it. Frankly, I avoid hover text as much as I can.  If the buyer needs important information, I put it in a texture on the vendor or in a notecard or chat message available on touch.

The distance floating text can be viewed from depends on three things:

1. The color brightness
  2. The transparency
  3. The size of the object the script is in
    (in fact the Z scale if I am not mistaking)

Change the position of prims in your object (if it is multiple prim) in a way that the prim that contains the code of llSetText in is the farthest from your neighbor wall. Or if it is a one prim you either have to change the chape in a way that the z axis of the geometric center is a little further from your neighbours ( I mean try different alteration of x, y and z in size) .

I hope that idea would help! :)

In case it's relevant, there's a Viewer 2 defect that makes this much worse.  Of course it affects all V2-based TPVs, too.  I seem to recall that it's being actively worked on by one of the Snowstorm developers.

An alternative would be to script a sensor and have it send a small text message about the tip jar. *shrug*  I know this will bug some people, but if it is small and not pushy, those who would want to tip won't mind it.

An alternative is to script the Sensor to turn on the hover text when someone is within say 5m of the tipjar. Of course that requires editing the tipjar script which may not be allowed .. but it would have the hover text off until someone draws near.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.