Firestorm!! GRRRRRRrrr

SophiaScott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have used firestorm a few times and really like it!

Unfortunately it wont login.

It goes through the motions and gets to downloading clothing.....hangs for ages! then comes up to view IM's or Quit as i've been disconnected??

This happens over and over!

It's really bugging me :(

It's allowed in my firewall and viewer2 loads perfect everytime. I have a quadcore pc with a high spec graphics card so I know it isn't anything to do with performance. Besides it HAS worked at one point flawlessly. I've reinstalled it but get the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas???

Hello Sophia! This sound familiar.

*Explanatory background preamble*

I run 2 of my bands' avatars on a single computer for my live music shows. [Computer spec: Pentium-4 HT 650 3.4 gHz, 2 gB RAM, Nvidia GT220, Win7 Ultimate 64-bit] Last night it kept logging both out at the same time and losing its' network connection. At first I thought that the on-board LAN adapter was faulty [we're talking about a self-built computer here with a mobo that I bought for £2 on Ebay!] but it was able to run a single avatar for the duration of the show [1 hour]. I think the power supply might not be up to par as it's only a 250-watt PSU with a known fault. At the moment I'm testing it with a 500-watt PSU and so far it's looking good.

*Reply*

So..... after that long and possibly diversionary preamble: maybe your computer's power supply is a bit weak. Second Life really hammers a computer hard. Just open up the task manager and check the performance tab if you don't believe me. Also, 'high-spec' graphics cards are notorious power hogs. Some won't even kick into action unless you have a 500-watt [or more] power supply. When a computer's driven hard it consumes alot more power than when it's idling or doing light tasks. When you say quad core is your CPU the Core 2 Quad series or the i5 / i7 series?

1] If your LAN adapter has any power-saving features disable them so that it's ON all the time. This will force your computer to keep it's network connection active [and open] even when your CPU and graphics card are sucking every last possible erg of energy out of your power supply.

2] If it's possible swap out your power supply for one that can definitely supply 500 or more watts and see how it goes.

Hiya Sophia,

Do you let your notifications build up without deleting them? There is a known problem that causes what you describe when people have too many saved notifications. The limit that can be saved on Firestorm is higher than on V2, which could be why you are ok on V2.

Try deleting open_notifications.xml from the folder where your chat logs are stored & then login if it happens again.

If you have done the clean reinstall that was suggested by previous poster, that will already be cleared for now.

Thanks for the responses!!

1. I have already reinstalled Firestorm

2. Power Supply is fine (everything else works including viewer2)

3. I did have TONS of notifications, but went inside viewer2 and deleted them all to test this.

Still the same :S

I have a netgear router which i've read could pose an issue, but the thing is originally I had no problems???

you did a clean reinstall of removing all the folders even from the other directories..an uninstall won't get rid of the other folders..you pretty much have to go into those directories and take those out by hand..

also if you are using other viewers ..it could be a cache overlaping thing as well..i just got rid of all the viewers i don't use anymore and everything but my logs that i wanted..things go pretty smooth for me nowdays..

this link may help you..it's about phoenix viewer but it should do the same for firestorm as well..

Clean reinstall

ETA: oh i see someone else already posted the same link hehehe

SophiaScott wrote:

Thanks for the responses!!

1. I have already reinstalled Firestorm

2. Power Supply is fine (everything else works including viewer2)

3. I did have TONS of notifications, but went inside viewer2 and deleted them all to test this.

Still the same
:S

I have a netgear router which i've read could pose an issue, but the thing is originally I had no problems???

Some Netgear routers do have problems with SL, especially the DGN-1000, I had one and it would stay connected for 3 mins and then poof!!  I haven`t heard of one working and then suddenly having a problem, but if you do happen to have that one, log on to your router, go to the ADSL settings on the left hand menu & change Multiplexing Method from VC based to LLC based.

Another thing is might be is bad gesture loading, try this http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=gesture_issues

just one, asking the people that make firestorm for their (very thorough and fast) help makes more sense than asking here where you'll get a smattering of much slower and less thorough answers over a long period.

Their help network community is pretty top notch, and I recommend it for everything phoenix/firestorm

Go in and delete the firestorm  files in    Users\"name"\appdata\local   and in  Users\"name"\appdata\roaming.

From what I have seen this seems to be an issue with laptops.  Two people I know running FS on laptops have this problem quite often.  I have never seen it on my desktop.  

SophiaScott wrote:

Yay!!

Thank you Chris Norse!!

I deleted all the files you said from them folders and it's working again
:)
))

Big thanks to everyone who commented and tried to help.

That was the first suggestion by Valerie to do a clean instal, which involves deleteing those folders.:D

You might find that instead of deleting the folders completely you just need to delete the user_settings.xml file as that is likely the one causing the problem. Something goes wrong saving the updated settings if you don`t get logged out properly or you crash.

• 4 months later...

Sophia is one of my best sl friends and I am so glad i found her postings because I have the same issue. I do the uninstall/reinstall, remove all traces of files associated with firestorm on my laptop and the whole nine yards. I noticed that the hanging on downlaoding clothing then the darn you have been logged out of second life, happens after i have crashed previously and the files get corrupted. I tried what chirs suggested and someone else said to remove xml file. I then logged in from the location sandra which is low lag underwater rezzing. I finally got online.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.