Sign in to follow this  
2GEEZUS21

You are connecting to the grid with a viewer that is not inthe third party viewer directory. help?

Question

That sounds like a fake message to me. Do NOT click on any links in that e-mail. It is very likely to be a Phishing scam.

It is NOT illegal to use a viewer that is not in the Third Party Directory, unless they very recently made a policy change and told no one about the change. (Note that while some specific viewers intentionally designed as tools for hackers and thieves have been banned, and some older versions that have features that Ll prohibits, becaus ethey make it easier to steal content from others have been banned, the current version of Phornix is perfectly legal, as are the last several versions of that Viewer.)

The third party viewer directory is ONLY a list of viwere's whose creators have violuntarily stepped forward and claimed they comply with certain standards set forth by Linden Lab. There are other Viewers that are perfectly legal to use, and which are not in the directory.

Are you using a current version of Phoenix? Some older versions had a security issue, and have since been replaced by newer ones that fixed that security bug. That is the only reason I can think of that ANY version of Phoenix would cause a legitimate message like that.

Have you tried accessing the grid with Phoenix? Did you get blocked from doing so? Have you tried accessing the grid with the official LL Viewer? Either 1.23.5 or V 2.8? Does it give you an error message if you try to log on? Or are you basing the assumption that you can't access the grid solely on that e-mail?

3 answers to this question

That sounds like a fake message to me. Do NOT click on any links in that e-mail. It is very likely to be a Phishing scam.

It is NOT illegal to use a viewer that is not in the Third Party Directory, unless they very recently made a policy change and told no one about the change. (Note that while some specific viewers intentionally designed as tools for hackers and thieves have been banned, and some older versions that have features that Ll prohibits, becaus ethey make it easier to steal content from others have been banned, the current version of Phornix is perfectly legal, as are the last several versions of that Viewer.)

The third party viewer directory is ONLY a list of viwere's whose creators have violuntarily stepped forward and claimed they comply with certain standards set forth by Linden Lab. There are other Viewers that are perfectly legal to use, and which are not in the directory.

Are you using a current version of Phoenix? Some older versions had a security issue, and have since been replaced by newer ones that fixed that security bug. That is the only reason I can think of that ANY version of Phoenix would cause a legitimate message like that.

Have you tried accessing the grid with Phoenix? Did you get blocked from doing so? Have you tried accessing the grid with the official LL Viewer? Either 1.23.5 or V 2.8? Does it give you an error message if you try to log on? Or are you basing the assumption that you can't access the grid solely on that e-mail?

I think it's a message from Phoenix, not from LL -- I have just tried logging in with both Cool VL and with Catznip, neither of which are in the TPV list  (though perfectly "legal") and did not receive any such message.

I wouldn't worry about it.

That message was unfortunately not constructed well, and steps have been taken to make sure that misleading phrasing is not used in future messages.

Let me be clear:

• There has been no change in the Policy on Third Party Viewers or the Terms of Service.
  • It is ok to connect to Second Life with any viewer that complies with the Policy on Third Party Viewers, even if that viewer is not in the Third Party Viewer Directory.

I will not comment on whether or not any particular enforcement action was justified, and suggest that public forums are not the best place to discuss individual cases.   If you believe that your account was improperly affected, the process you should follow is here: http://bit.ly/hBIjz