About Fundraising

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So a question for folks, I have been mulling the idea about possibly holding a fundraiser, as some know college is expensive. I have some folks saying yeah sure you should, others saying its greedy to hold a fundraiser for yourself.   I am kinda mentally torn on what folks feel about it. I know am in the hole with college and jobs not exactly easy to find,is it shameful to hold a fundraiser for yourself?

actually, 1 million lindens is about $4000 AUS  ($4,200 US) but it takes a hell of a lot to make a million in SL. i personally would think it shamefull to ask people in sl for a handout, especially if you one of those people that say "sl is sl and rl is rl, i dont mix the two"  as this would make you a hippocrite. you would be better off spending the time you usually spend in sl, and use that extra time to look for RL work. and maybe even study part time.

What's your point?

...Dres

ETA: Hey! What's the deal?  The post I replied to is gone and now it looks as if I replied directly to Amarock, which I did not.  If you moderators what to pull a line of conversation out of a thread, I would suggest pulling the whole line and not switch stuff around so that it looks like someone's post is in reply to a post that it never was a reply to.

I know for damn sure I hit the reply button in wiked's second post to this thread, which was a pointless attempt to infer something derogatory about Amarock's profile and had nothing to do with the topic at hand.  It was a sad attempt at trolling and my question was in response to that. 

How it could end up seeming as if I replied to Amarock himself I don't know, but that's exactly what happened.  Pull this post too for all I care... but at least have the decency to give me some sort of an explanation.  Stuff like this should not happen... it really pisses me off.

Technically, Fund Raising in the US refers to raising funds for valid not for profit organizations.  As you are not that, this really is just begging for money as there is nothing given in return including the tax write off as its little more than a gift to an anonymous person who I don't know or will ever see again.

There are many here who are in tough situations and I don't see them begging.  What I do see is them coming up with unique and creative ideas to make money.

If I might be so bold, why not experiment with something new...we call it Working.

I paid my own way all the way through law school.  No one helped me pay for it and I never took out a loan.  Yes, it took me over 10 years to get my JD but it was all me.  For that, I have the knowledge that I can take care of myself and will never need to beg for money.

*working* Have tried Mcdonald even has a no working sign here.....I have tried making money and finding a small income working for others on SL, that works sometimes with many period's of no work, or someone wanting to pay 100L when my work makes them 10k in efforts to sale their things.

I have gone into some efforts to create things, and work with others wiht up and downs. I do enjoy my work with roleplay guide magazine, and putting effort into trying my hand at selling my own rings as such.

The reason I bring this up, I've just finished my final's and rebuffed a few points saying no ones hiring. So well college books are a few hundred short from my grant and scholorship's, so yes ..pride...is pride. I seek to pull myslef out of the hole that I currently live in , is it wrong to ask for a hand to help lift myslef out of it?

amarock Amat wrote:

So a question for folks, I have been mulling the idea about possibly holding a fundraiser, as some know college is expensive. I have some folks saying yeah sure you should, others saying its greedy to hold a fundraiser for yourself.   I am kinda mentally torn on what folks feel about it. I know am in the hole with college and jobs not exactly easy to find,is it shameful to hold a fundraiser for yourself?

My kid's college, when she starts in 2 weeks, will cost fifteen million Lindens per year, including room and board.

Please send your donations to Tolya Ugajin.  Thanks you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.