Still having trouble...

Raeynaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Carry on from my previous message. The problem was that when I clicked onto the Program, it would do the whole ''Intializing Textures'' ect, then pop up with the same message ''Graphics Initialization Failed. Please update your Graphics Driver!''. 

I did what the person suggested in my other question, other viewers work but confuse the hell out of me. I downloaded an older SL Viewer and it told me to update, so I did. I finally got onto the log in screen but I had to update once more. I did so. And now I'm getting the same error. Please help me, other viewers do work however I prefer SL Viewer 2 so much, and it's driving me nuts that nothing is working. Thank you.

ADDITION: I ran a full update on my laptop and made sure everything is up to date.

4 answers to this question

If you download and install an older V2 viewer, the very first thing to do is open Preferences and disable the Automatic Download of Updates.  If you don't do that, it will keep trying to replace the brand new installation that you just did with a newer one --- which is exactly what you DON'T want to do.  You want to stay with the older version that you just installed.

Also, when you are going to install an older version of the same viewer, it's always wise to manually remove all traces of the previous version instead of loading the new one on top of it.  That way, you won't inherit any buggy files that might be leftover from the previous installation.  See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall .

Here's a more detailed set of instructions for doing a clean install of updated graphics drivers than you may have received before.  It's in the same spirit as the general recommendation that I gave you in my last post, regarding clean installation of viewers.  Take a look >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clean_Install

There is always the scorched earth approach, where you uninstall SL, then delete:

(XP) - C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME) - Application Data \ SecondLife AND
C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME) \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life

(Vista) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife AND
C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

(Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData - Roaming \ SecondLife AND
C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Local \ Secondlife

(LIstings lovingly provided by LoveAngel)

Once these are gone, your preferences and your caches will be no more.  You can then install SL from scratch, and everything will get recreated once more.  While it's a bit of work, it guarantees that no old glitch can remain and foul up a new install.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.