Discrimination in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

Forum posts often go so wrong,
a cry for help
becomes a rant,
a heartbroken reply
becomes a bitchy remark, and
everyone else is just out for the lulz
.  What we all forget is that posts dont just magically apear on a forum.  There was a process that leads to a post being made, and
so often the forum post is one of the last resorts a person takes to reach out.

Is Linden Lab now running a crisis center?  You honestly believe this forum is structured in a way that it can provide a 'fix' for these types of issues? 

I guess what I was trying to say
is that sometimes one should read between the lines.  The OP came back with a response that was not in line with the replies given to her, this could be perceived as
a bitchy comeback, but it is also very indicative of someone's state of mind, and so often when in such a state, everything comes accross as negative.

Funny,  I did read between the lines and I took the OP to be a troll.  Not that I have anything against trolls, but a troll none-the-less. 

Tracy, I hadn't seen this thread or I would have commented earlier. In fact Ishtara and others have pretty much said what I'm thinking, but since we're sort of on the same team I'll chime in anyway. Redundancy never stopped me before.

Like you, I point out my orientation at the very start of my profile. I wrote it my first day, or at least the first day my avatar went anywhere really public. At the time I did not know how little relevance it would have in SL; I was still thinking in RL terms. I knew that being only a 'cartoon' it would be very easy to appear to be a female and I did not want to deceive anyone. It's worked for me and I've never changed it. BUT:

I have had very very few negative experiences here that have anything to do with being transgender. Maybe two. In nearly three years. I did mostly spend time in TG friendly locales at the start and I agree with Ishy's suggestion that you do so also. I have a big folder FULL of TG links that were given to me by friends about two or three months ago (someone I knew had a friend who was TG join SL, so I got some of my buddies to help me build a folder). IM me inworld and I will be more than happy to send it.

Let SL work for you. I've found it to be an incredibly tolerant place and that is the thing I like best about it by far.

"Let down your guard a little... don't assume everyone has it out for you because, honestly, no one cares all that much what you have between your legs.  It's what's between your ears and in your heart that counts and that's something you can't just tell people about... you have to show them.  When you build up your defenses so high that no one can get in, there's no chance in hell they will ever see the beauty of who you really are.  You'll never get where you want to be if you're not willing to take a chance... I sincerely hope you find a way to do that for yourself.

I wish you the best of luck ...Dres"

Awesome post, Dres. :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.