Recommendation for a wireless router? Speed (300 or 600)? Enhanced or high performance? Thanks!

antoinette84

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The best advice, if you have the option, is to avoid wireless.  Many people in SL have trouble maintaining a stable connection on wireless, with the result that they have a higher rate of crashes, bake fail issues, and general lag.  We hear from a lot of those people here in Answers.  The problem is partly that wireless routers are not optimized for continual streaming of data, and SL relies heavily on a steady data flow.  Wireless is also vulnerable to interference from cell phones, garage door openers, other smart appliances and -- if you are sharing the router -- every other user in the dorm or Starbucks.  You may not have the choice, but if you do I'd recommend using a direct cable connection instead.

3 answers to this question

The best advice, if you have the option, is to avoid wireless.  Many people in SL have trouble maintaining a stable connection on wireless, with the result that they have a higher rate of crashes, bake fail issues, and general lag.  We hear from a lot of those people here in Answers.  The problem is partly that wireless routers are not optimized for continual streaming of data, and SL relies heavily on a steady data flow.  Wireless is also vulnerable to interference from cell phones, garage door openers, other smart appliances and -- if you are sharing the router -- every other user in the dorm or Starbucks.  You may not have the choice, but if you do I'd recommend using a direct cable connection instead.

your bog standard wifi router will handle SL perfectly well you don't need any enhancements or high perfomance you might want some level of security on it even if you only allow certain mac addresses access to avoid people piggy backing on your connection but they can be very flaky and un-reliable and i have suffered with that in the past hence why people will tell you to go hard wired. my current netgear has been rather stable and i don't get any problems with SL apart from the occasional bake fail i do find when certain radio equipment in my house is in use the wifi signal even hard wired will cut out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.